Moved Rabbits Outside

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by turtlehead, Jul 3, 2006.

1. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

We got three NZW does a while back. We want to raise rabbits in a colony rather than in hutches (still need to acquire a buck). Well we finally got their enclosure finished and moved them out there yesterday morning.

They explored all day long. They'd been staying in a dog crate while in the house, and we took that apart and put both halves out there to provide some temporary shelter.

My husband dug a small "burrow" and they checked that out, dug it a bit, and hung out in it some during the day. Only one rabbit at a time fits into it but we're hoping they'll think to enlarge it.

I put a few pictures of the rabbits on my blog today if you'd like to see them.

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

sounds like your well on your way, thats cool that you thought to give them a start to a burrow right off, they will play at digging most likely untill you get a buck to breed them, then they will snap into digging mode,

have you found anywhere to get a buck yet?

3. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

Hi KSALguy!
    Haven't even been looking for a buck. These gals are quite young and won't be ready to breed until the first week of September or so. We figured we'd just let them get accustomed to their new digs (ha ha) before we think about a buck. Guess it wouldn't hurt to casually look around though.

They do play at digging but that's about it. I put snap peas or other treats in the "burrow" to encourage them to keep going in there, and I can tell they're decorating it by moving dirt a bit here and there but no real construction going on.

They also have a fence post they like to dig by, the silly things. Good thing we set the fence posts in concrete. I think they like this particular fence post because it's in a corner of their enclosure, and we put the top half of a dog crate in that corner, for a little shelter. They seem to like hanging out in the tight confines between the dog crate top and the fence more than they like hanging out in the dog crate top. So of course they're in that corner a lot and that's where they've started digging a bit. It's not much, just about the size of a fist or a bit bigger. But if they keep digging there I think I'll have to fill it in and move the dog crate top. I don't want them bringing the fence down.

I worried about them because we've had a LOT of rain and some of the storms have been pretty impressive. They don't seem to care at all. They run around and play in the rain like it's not even there. Their little white butts get dirty, but that's about it.

4. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

i would move the dog crate away from the fence, both so that they hopefully dont dig there and so that if anything is walking by it cant reach through and grab them through the wire, if they continue to dig at the edge they could feasibly dig OUT and thats not good,

as long as their home is on a bit of high ground and has good drainage their burrows should be fine,
    sounds like they are well on their way to being a nice happy colony, you will have to keep me posted on how things go when you get a buck, i am curious as to how this colony thing works from the start,