Mouse infestation

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mommalee, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Mommalee

Mommalee Well-Known Member

What's the best way to treat wood that's been saturated with mousey leavings? I've been cleaning out a friend's pantry cupboard which has been the home of mice for at least a few months. It stinks! We tried scrubbing with baking soda today, as well as using a product called Orange TKO, which smells really nice. Still, I can't shake the feeling that the wood is still not thoroughly clean and odor-free. Any suggestions?

Any tips on how to prevent the mice from coming right back to tour the cupboard would also be appreciated. Thanks :)

2. jer

jer Well-Known Member

Put out glue traps, regular traps, and/or poison. I hate rodents! Try putting half vinegar and water mixture together and wipe down for smell. You might try mothballs in net bags for smell and to keep mice out. I read somewhere that they will keep mice away. I also heard hedgeapples will keep them away. Put some in each cabinet. Good Luck.

3. silvergirl

silvergirl Well-Known Member

Vinegar and water... disinfectant, deodorizer, neutralizer... best natural cleaner around... and then leave an open carton of baking soda in the cupboard as backup, in case your unwelcome guests return a time or two... I have also heard that moth balls will keep mice away but they stink to high heaven - and a cat is better company...
    Silvergirl

4. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

Mouse droppings are the carrier of the hantavirus contaminants. Vinegar is not the best way to eliminate the risk. It may be ok for the odor, but you need chlorox to kill the virus. It is deer mice that have the greatest amount, but the virus has also been found in regular house mouse and rat droppings. So don't sweep the droppings until you treat the area with the chlorox. 1 part chlorox and 5 parts water is adequate. Get the dropping damp before you stir them up. The cleanup time is when you are the greatest risk. It won't influence the mouse population though, so regular mouse control efforts are important. Mice can squeeze through a 1/4 inch crack under the door or in the pantry cabinets. If you have pets and place dry food out, you are providing the mice with a good food supply. The best policy is to not leave the dry food out after you go to bed. The pets will learn to eat when you feed them if you don't leave the food out. Bird food (seeds) are another popular rodent food. If you store any of these items, get containers with tight metal lids.

5. Dink

Dink Well-Known Member

I agree with gobug use chlorox. If you can plug any holes with brillo pads or even aluminum foil to keep the mice out until you can get rid of the mice.

6. deaconjim

deaconjim Appalachian American Supporter

Another product that will help is called Odor Ban, and I think you can get it at Sam's Club. It is anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and will neutralize some really bad odors. If you can't find it, Febreeze is a watered down version of the same thing.

7. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of bleach and try to avoid it almost always. But this is one instance that calls for the big guns and I would use bleach here.

Ok, I'm sure others will poo-poo this, but... we have had HUGE success with one of those electronic pest devices. This one is made by Sunbeam, is a "dual" type (ultrasound and electronic) and it was about $20. Best $20 I ever spent. We were hearing mice on a daily basis and catching 2 to 3 a week, since the day we moved in here. This continuted for well over a year.

In desparation and to my husband's dismay, I got one of these and plugged it in, last September. I really didn't think it would work, but I would have tried anything at that point. Since then, we've had 2 mice. TWO MICE in a whole year! One we caught after hearing it in the closet. The second one, we saw one night and have never seen or heard it again. People (especially pest professionals) will swear these things don't work. But I have no other explanation for our results. Take it or leave it, but to me, it would be worth $20 to try it out.

OH, and we've also gotten some barn kittens and have not seen any mice in the barn since they got hear two months ago.

8. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

We had a cat and the mice made nests of cat fur :(

Mothballs always keep the mice away in my experience. Others have said it doesn't work for them but it's always worked for me. Sure smells, but if I have mice I use the mothballs.

I've also read that mint repels mice but I've not yet tried it. That would be a happier odor than mothballs :)

9. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

When our former pastor and his family left the parsonage, it was a nightmare of rats, mice, chipmunks and filth. (There are some definite mental illness in that case.) The floors were literally saturated through with dog and cat urine and had to be removed to the studs. The basement had at least four inches of animal fecal matter. The kitchen cupboards had an inch of mice droppings in them and along the back of the countertops. I suspect the wife had an illness called "disposeaphobia". It took a full year od cleaning and rebuilding to make the place habitable for humans.

To clean the cupboards, they were scraped, cleaned with bleach a few times, allowed to dry. Then they were sanded and primed with a sealant and painted.

10. the mama

the mama loves all critters Supporter

I agree with Ardie. Bleach, dry, sand and seal.

11. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

Mice are supposed to not like the smell of peppermint and/or be "allergic" to it and won't go or stay where there is the smell of peppermint. Supposedly you put a drop or two of 100% peppermint oil on a cotton ball and put the cotton ball wherever you don't want the mice. So you get a lot of cotton balls and some real peppermint oil and you can cover a lot of territory.

Good luck!

MaryNY

12. SDjulieinSC

SDjulieinSC Well-Known Member

Peppermint extract on cotton balls is working well for me so far!! I may have overdone it a bit at first though...a little goes a long way~!!!