Mouse in the house

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by doc623, Feb 16, 2005.

1. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

We have a mouse that has come infrom the cold.
    Basically in the basement.
    First trap baited with peanut butter and chocolate was taken
    by the critter. Gone trap and all. No trail.
    The second trap - rat size - same bait has been cleaned
    twice without the trap(wich is new) being set off without
    getting the critter.
    The trap is functional.
    Suggestions?

2. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Live trap?

Might be able to just barely set the trap, so that it is set easier.

3. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

No not live trap and I am confused by the rest of your response.
    :confused:

4. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) I'd just put bait out down there. I prefer "Just One Bite". That stuff does the trick. That way you will get all of them. I think if you are seeing signs of "one" there are or will be more quickly.

There are many different approaches to this and I think that "Go Bug" has covered them very well previously?
    His suggestions were to use a combination of methods including traps set along walls, bait, etc. I remember also him saying that it helps to re arrange the room and so mess up their usual trails?

Sorry, my memory is excellent but only about a 1/2 inch long! LOL

Good luck with things.........LQ

5. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

No, I mean: You might try a live trap.

And

You might set the current trap so that it is more sensitive. Just barely set.

6. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Put two or three traps out the same night. Usually the mouse will trip one of them. It also helps to set it up on a ledge/like a brick, so the mouse has to reach up and in and grab on. I have a preference for the plastic "V" brand traps, as they are easy to set and easy to empty and clean and use again.

And you would do best by baiting and replacing them each night for a week to see that you have gotten them all. We usually leave one set all winter in the basement.

Personally I don't like bait because I have dogs and kids around and would hate for them to get a hold of a poisoned mouse. Also, a dead mouse stinks for a long while and I don't want it dead under a floorboard or something.

7. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Cats will do the trick.

If you don't have cats, you might try something my dad used to do in the barn. He would set some bait (something smelly like cheese, peanut butter, etc.) in the bottom of a barrel. Then he'd lean a board up on the barrel. The rats/mice would run up the board, jump into the barrel to get the food and not be able to get out.

8. jeannie242

jeannie242 Well-Known Member

I had this problem about a month ago, tried all you did. But herefordman gave me this advise.
    "Squish a chunk of whole wheat bread tightly onto the trigger, they can't resist"
    Within 15 minutes, we had the little thing. Thanks Jeannie

9. TrudyPowell

TrudyPowell Well-Known Member

I don't consider myself a very "squeamish" person, but mice I cannot tolerate - YUK! Anyway, when we first moved here and were living in our unfinished basement while we gutted the upstairs, we had a mouse every once in awhile. This was totally new to me as, for some reason, growing up we never had mice in the house nor had we at our other place since I had been married.

A friend recommended the sticky kind of live traps, and that did the trick for us. Mind you, if I had been single this would not have worked because I could not have taken care of the situation after the mouse was captured. But since I have a darling husband who is not put off by this type of thing, the sticky traps were great. We did put a dollup of peanut butter in the middle of the sticky trap just to make it extra enticing.

Hope you get rid of it.

Trudy Powell
    Homeschooling Mom of 3
    Independent WATKINS Associate

10. Nik

Nik Well-Known Member

I have to agree on the sticky live traps, they are the best. My wife said we had a mouse so I went out and got one and set it down, came back for lunch and he was stuck. Quick, efficent and no poison chunks to worry about.

Nik

11. Thumbbuddy

Thumbbuddy Well-Known Member

Simple and cheap. Trap is a carboard roll from paper towel when finished, save a few for future use, Now get your deep garbage can or a deep waste basket so he cannot jump out. set it at the edge of a counter or ledge now set the cardboard tube baited with peanut in one end of the tube and set it on the ledge just slightly back so it will not fall in and when the mouse goes past the pivot point his weight will make the tube fall in the can. GOTCHA

12. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

The problem with sticky traps is they live stuck to the paper until they die of dehydration or hunger. I did that ONCE. Too creepy for me. Give me a quick trap any day. What do you do with the trap while they are struggling (hours) to be released? Yikes!

13. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

Hi -

I went to a talk last fall where the guy was a mole expert. However, he also talked alot about getting rid of mice. His favorite "bait" was vanilla extract of all things. I tried it in the basement of our church where I work and it workd great! Just another idea.

Nance

14. Thumbbuddy

Thumbbuddy Well-Known Member

Question for Hummingbird??? You said you used vanilla extract and it worked. You did not explain how you used it? On the pan or food attached to the pan or ????

15. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

:eek: OOPS! Sorry about that!! I just used a regular, traditional, snappy mouse trap and put just a bit on the little bait pad and set the trap. BINGO!! By the next morning - no more mousie!

16. pinemead

pinemead Well-Known Member

BCR you drown the little buggers while they're stuck on the trap. I never could stand glue traps though. I like to hear that snap and know it's over.

17. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

If you found something they will eat, it is good.

Use more traps. The most common mistake is to use too few.
    If they are stealing the bait, smear a little around the edges of the trap, and on the trigger. They are not cleaver, they have little tongues. If you get them eating the bait, they will eventually trigger the trap.

Look for the large yellow trigger type traps. You can put a tiny amount of bait on the trigger, and the mouse must step upon it to get the bait.

Find the entry. If you close the mouse door, you won't have problems again. This could be a door sweep or along the outside foundation edge. If you have a garage, that is the most likely entry point. Contain your pet food in plastic or metal bins.

Place your traps, whether snaps or glue types, where you see droppings.

18. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I have a favorite mousetrap:

http://www.kness.com/Snap-E.html

I have never had one get thrown without catching a mouse. I have caught hundreds of mice with them and recommend them highly. I even wrote the company a letter I liked them so much.

Haven't bought an old victor wood trap for catching mice and rats since.

19. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

Got the little beastie.
    Thanks for all the input and suggestions.
    Will set the trap for any others that may also be there.
    By the way, I hot glued a chocolate chip the the trap trigger making it
    harder for the mouse to steal the bait and it worked.
    Thanks again
    Doc

20. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

Got the second bestie last night.
    This time I used the wheat bread as bait.
    This one was not as fast as the first beastie.