Mouse house on wheels

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bill177, Sep 14, 2006.

1. bill177

bill177 Member

Yep - that's my suburban, a mouse house on wheels. They love it!

I keep a wary eye out for new nests in the rear doors - a favorite place, and inside of the air cleaner. I have to check it every day before I start it.

Never had them actually get inside of the car - just inside body parts and in and around the engine. I have even left set traps inside the doors and actually caught mice. I check daily (just pop an inside panel off). :hobbyhors

Its getting well into fall now and they'll be looking to the mouse house again. So - I am always open to new and novel ideas for controlling them. Cats do not need to apply. I can't have them inside the house (allergies) and outside - well, there are bigger things than them in the woods.

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

3. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

We had mice move pounds of bird seed from a storage shed into our Suburban and store inside the head liner in the rear. Industrious little suckers.

4. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Get some peppermint or spearmint essential oil. In a spray bottle, mix water, gin (or whiskey or vodka), and a teaspoon of the mint oil. Shake well, spray all over your car.

5. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

I took off one day in my pickup and when I got to the stop sign and pushed in the clutch, the gas kept right on revving. I shut it off quick and found 10 pounds of dog food on the intake, binding the throttle lever. I got some bar bait that has a hole thru the middle and wired it to the intake, and now I replace it whenever it is eaten down. I have a mechanic friend who keeps a big box of Dcon in hs garage and sprinkles it on the intake of every car that comes thru.

6. Sgt.Sausage

Sgt.Sausage Well-Known Member

Our garage was infested. We tried *everything*. Nothing worked. Traps? 4 or 5 different kinds of traps failed to get them all -- sure, we'd get a few, but population was still growing. Poison? Same story. Would kill a few, but wouldn't get 'em all -- population still growing. I'd go out there with a shovel and smash 'em up by hand when I could find 'em. Population still growing.

The final trick -- the only thing that really worked -- was the adoption of a kitten from the local animal shelter. This thing is a KillingMachine(tm).

He's taken care of the mouse infestation in the garage. He's taken care of the rabbit population in the garden. He chases the Canada geese from the ponds. While he can't kill them, he keeps the local 'coon population at bay and away from his territory. He keeps the birds off the grapes and out of the cherry trees. He's solve the moles in the lawn problem.

In less than 1 year, he's had over 200 *confirmed* kills (he like to leave the remains at the front door -- who knows? Seems cats are infamous for this.)

Hardly costs us a thing in food -- if he's got "live meat" of any kind, he ignores the kibble in the bowl. He rarely eats from his bowl 'round our place.

I'd recommend visiting the local animal shelter.

==> Never had them actually get inside of the car

All of our cars had squatters take up residence. They'd chew through the headliner and make a nest in the roof. They'd shred every bit of paper in the glove box and make a nest their. They'd shred the carpeting on the floor for bedding under the seats.

No more. The BornKiller(tm) has solved that issue.