Mountain Lions? Nah--Not Around Here...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fin29, Nov 11, 2004.

1. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Another bit of proof that we're not being told the truth about mountain lions: :no:

Joggers Urged To Use Caution

boston.com

ACTON, Mass. -- Acton residents are being warned about a mountain lion on the prowl.

NewsCenter 5's Jack Harper reported that there have been two sightings of a mountain lion, also known as a cougar, in the past week.

"It was scary. It was a growl. It was loud and it was deep. It was what you envision when you hear it -- you just envision this large cat," said Acton resident Colleen DiPietro.

"It sounded like an animal in distress running around our house about three times," said Acton resident Ellen Schemerhorn.

Experts say mountain lions no longer roam the area, but this sighting on Mohawk Street is different -- two police officers saw the cat, too.

"When they got out the cruiser and went to the back, they reported seeing a large animal walk by them. They describe it as a 5- to 6-foot cat, very low to the ground, very muscular with a long tail," said Acton police Lt. Don Palma.

An electric sign has been put up in town to alert residents and pet owners. Police are also urging people who jog at dusk or dawn to use extra caution.

"I wouldn't rule anything out, but it would be my belief if there was a cougar here, it is probably an illegal release. There is an illegal trade of wildlife of what they call 'prestige pets,'" said Tony Wolski, of the environmental police.

If you do come face to face with a mountain lion, experts say you should not run, try to appear as big as possible and make a lot of noise.
    Copyright 2004 by TheBostonChannel

2. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Just a couple days ago I heard about a bow hunter that tracked his deer to a tree, by following the trail of blood. Sure enough, he looked up in the tree and there was a mountain lion with his deer. "They" released a few of these cats a couple months ago as coyote control. This happened a half hour from me.

3. kosh

kosh Well-Known Member

fin, can you post the link to that? I was searching through Boston.com, but couldnt find the article.

thanks!

4. MarkNH

MarkNH Well-Known Member

The latest news I've heard on the local TV is that the tracks appear to be those of a large dog and not anything in the cat family. I heard the Mass DPA person speak and she said that the nearest big cats are a long ways( Florida, up in Canada) which is baloney. Too many suspected sitings in northern new england..
    I couldn't find a link to the story either.

5. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

THe cats have been here in NY longer than a couple of months. I saw one last year and there was a confirmed kill south of us more than a year ago. I doubt the DEC released them. They can travel pretty well on their own 4 paws and are pretty well known to be throughout the northeast.

6. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

7. barbarake

barbarake Well-Known Member

I grew up in Upstate New York (Schoharie county, southwest of Albany). A mountain lion was killed up there about 1973. I knew about it because my father was a butcher and the hunter stored it for a couple of days in his big walk-in cooler. I saw it myself - it was definitely a mountain lion. I was about 5'6" at the time and the body was longer than that.

The hunter never reported it because he (thought he) would get into trouble with the law.

It always amuses me to hear officials deny the existance of mountain lions in the northeast. I'm not saying that they're common - but they're definitely there.

8. kosh

kosh Well-Known Member

yeah, i love the way the government constantly denys such things until someone kills one, or tv crews film it. Doesnt matter how many people see it, they wont stop denying it until then. I've heard stories from friends who grew up in northern new england about mountain lion sightings.

I also heard recently there have been blackbear sitings in southeastern mass. That's a critter who hasnt been in SE Mass for i think over 100 years (supposedly).. now perhaps making a come back... hmmm Better keep my bee hives protected :)

9. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

A neighbor who has goats had gone outside her house, and there in her back yard was one. It growled at her, and she turned around and went back in the house. Her dog that was tied was huddled up in it's dog house not barking or anything.

She called the game commission who came out and told her, no you didn't see a mountain lion. She explained to them what she saw, what it did, and she KNEW it was a mountain lion. They finally did say, that yes, that is what she saw as the game commission themselves had released some in the area, but was told not to tell anybody about her incident.

Aparently, the "general public" can't handle the truth!

10. mkoonrn

mkoonrn Member

It's strange to run across this post. My younger sister was in the woods on her farm a few weeks ago with her 4 kids squirrel hunting. They have about 90 acres with approx 10,000 acres of public hunting bordering their property. They had sat down under a tree stand to watch for squirrels, when she saw something brown coming through the woods. She told the kids to look because she thought it might be a huge buck that they had seen several times. When it came into the clearing she saw an honest to God mountain lion. She told me she was so shocked and afraid. It was about 30 yards away. Her oldest son wanted a better look, so he stood up and it turned and went back the way it came. Her husband called the local game biologist who said, well, they're not native to this area, but he would come and look around. He came out the same day. I had heard a few years ago that they had turned out several pairs in this area, but I was skeptical. I know my sister and I know for a fact that what she saw was the real deal. She's never had flights of fancy in her life. She will not let her kids outside in their yard now without her or her husband to watch over them. It is a little disturbing to think that a big cat like that would be so close to her house. A few years ago it was almost unheard of to see bears in this part of the state (western WVA), but it's getting to be quite common now.

11. mrglock27

mrglock27 Well-Known Member

I am from Washingtong state. Cougar hunting was outlawed her for at least 10 years. The populations skyrocketed. The local forestry company has motion detecting cameras set up on it's properties and they said about 90 percent of the pictues taken are of cougars. This is in the greenwater area of WA. My friend lives there and had 2 laying under his deck when he pulled in the driveway at night. Alot of cats and dogs missing in the area too. It's been open for the past few years for hunting cougar but I think they've cut down the deer and elk populations dramatically, not to mention peoples pets. I hope your local cougar populations stay under control.

12. Nette

Nette Well-Known Member Supporter

This is weird, because a hunter on the back side of our farm claimed to have seen a mountain lion two weeks ago. He had shot a deer, and by the time he got to the deer, the cat had eaten down to its rib cage. Claims he saw the animal again the next day, sunning itself on a mound of dirt. I wouldn't say this fella is the most reliable of witnesses, but he was darn sure imaginative with all the details is he didn't see it...

Nette in north central NC

13. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

I live in western wa. too. We have always had cougars here. We are backed up to forest land, they are often seen here. We've been here 30 years. In the first years we were here there were plenty of cougars. They were hunted then and were shy of people and dogs. There were a few years we hardly saw any but now that hunting with dogs is out they are coming down to the populated areas all the time. As for bears, we used to have loads of them up behind our place, but haven't seen any around for a few years. Maybe the cougars are displacing them?

14. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

We don't have any in Michigan either just "Big Cats"------ and lions are???

mikell

15. HankSnow

HankSnow Hobby Farmer/Rat Racer

Here in Columbia Co., there was a sighting (reputable) of a cougar cutting across the Taconic Pkway. in the southern part of the county in 2002. I've heard of several reported sightings of mountain lions in this part of NY and in the tri-state area (MA/CT/NY). The Dept. of Environmental Conservation denies that these sightings are confirmed.

Some of the things I've heard are:

1. 90% of the sightings are dismissed as unreliable (so that means some are legit)

2. There is debate about whether they are wild or released

3. There is also debate about whether they are native or just transient.

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that the New York DEC published an outdoor wildlife magazine in the past, and there were articles about confirmed cougar sightings dating back to the 1950s. Does anyone else know more about of this?

Wasn't there a confirmed sighting of a mountain lion up in Northern VT about 10 years ago?

16. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

I live in the Catawba foothills of NC and while most 'animal experts' around here claim that mountain lions don't 'live' down this far, I personally believe they are full of crap.

We've had two sightings in the last year alone on my road in a fairly populated area. Something has killed and eaten several of my cats, and while it may just be coyotes(too common around here)sometimes I do wonder if the big cat had anything to do with it. I mean, yeah, my barn cat wouldn't be that great a meal for an animal that big, but if this is a younger, inexperienced cat, I dunno...maybe hunting practice?

Anyways...bottom line, we're encroaching on their territory and since they can have a home roaming range of a 100 miles or more, I don't think anyone should really be surprized to wake up to a mountain lion hanging out in their backyard one day...

17. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Well, I know we have a cougar in the new area I now live in. One of the lady's down the road let me know. As she likes my mini's so she let me know about it.
    This last year it has taken a few pigs and turkeys.... etc..etc,,,

Is nice she gave me a heads up,, hence my practice with the 30-30 (like the 22 better, but won't put a dent in a cougar),, and now looking for a saddle scabbard that it can fit in..so I can put it on the side of my cart. The mini is used to gun fire. Rather be on the safe side.

Also have a coyote problem... though the " Coyote" I saw looked more like a wolf to me. As tall as my minis. :p

18. silosounds

silosounds Well-Known Member

We live in Kansas and a river runs throughour land one day at dusk I almost hit one on the highway near our farm and 3-4 times have followed what looks like large bobcat tracks down the shore of the river if its a bobcat its a bigon. and theres nights when I go out to check on the barn yard and just get the wierdest feeling somethings watching from the shadows i might qeustion that I saw one but the nieghbor down the road aways said he saw one and I hadnt even mentioned it to him. The game warden said they hadnt ever had one around, the 25 years he had been there . so I dont know were it came from??