Mountain Home, Yellville Ar

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by daileyjoy, Aug 3, 2004.

1. daileyjoy

daileyjoy Well-Known Member

Going to look at land out there this week or next and I was wondering who all is out that way, AngieM2 said quite a few of you are. What all camn you tell me about the area people, soil, jobs, codes ect... you name it.

Jennifer

2. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

I am looking more south of Harrison myself. Made 3 trips there so far in the last 12 months and truly love the area. Everyone I have interacted with in town at stores and restaurants, etc. are really helpful and nice. To me the soil is WONDERFUL it's there. It took me 3 years to make soil where I am now on solid rock and pine needles. I'm under the impression there are not many jobs that pay above minimum except in profession such as medical, legal, education, etc. The counties I am considering do not seem to have many codes or any zoning. The growing season is 185 days which is more than twice what I have now and there is water coming out of the ground!!!! Compared to SD they are giving the land away and the property taxes are nothing compared to what I presently pay. I have checked out finances and I can live very well there on just my SS if I choose not to work, but I can bring my job with me also. Tourism is the big income producer from what I can tell although there are big companies scattered here and there. WalMart and FedEx have big set-up in the area but with Branson being so close that's the big tourist draw plus the lakes and fishing and scenery. I love the fact there are trees with leaves not needles.

3. Modine

Modine Member

There is an Ozark homesteading Yahoo group. I'm sure there are some people from that area on the group.

4. copperhead51

copperhead51 Well-Known Member

Average age is 53. Average income is $26,000 per family. Good jobs pay $7.00. Some physically taxing jobs pay as high as $10.00. Very friendly people as long as you're conservative. Many Chicago retirees that are making the place "little chicago" with their building codes, taxes, etc. Maybe consider a couunty or two over like Izard or Fulton?

5. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

We bought and moved to just south of Yellville a year ago. I agree there aren't many jobs in the area. I also don't know of many codes restrictions etc. in the area.

The Baxter Bulletin's electronic address is http://www.baxterbulletin.com/

We are very satisfied with our move here. We are trying to start a orchard, a small flock of hair sheep, and a small flock of birds. I know there are areas around here where it takes the 3 years to get something of a soil, but we didn't have that problem (tell your realtor exactly what you are looking for and they will come up with properties that you will be interested in). I will readly admit to pulling many rocks out of our garden space, and it's obvious to everyone where I ran out of compost in the garden. (But, where I had compost to add, I had a very good first year garden).

I also agree it would be possible to live on SS if you have a garden, raise your own meat and eggs.

Basically, we are very pleased that we moved here, and it's the best move (and hopefully the last) of my life. I'm sure you will enjoy living here.

6. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't live in Arkansas, but I do adore the state. I think Newton county is absolute breath taking, and the little town of Jasper is totally cool! The Boxley River canyon area is my absolute favorite.

7. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

Can't add too much to what's already been posted.

I've only been here almost 15 years ... and love it!

8. daileyjoy

What about NOT being conservative, my dh and I are not in appearance at least. But have been accepted in other area of Arkansas we have been to.

9. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

We live south of Yellville. We actually have some land for sale, too. Not far from the river, a cave, springs, wildlife....

Anyway, our soil is full of rocks, but fertile.
    It is beautiful, fall is the best time. When the hot humid weather is gone, and the trees and mountains are colorful.
    I don't really know about the job thing, probably not the greatest. I haven't had to look for one yet, I am just babysitting. My dad is a logger. My mom is an RN, but stays at home. There are always job openings for nurses.
    The majority of people are good people. Especially the older people.

10. daileyjoy

Southerngurl I tried to pm you and your box is full.

Jennifer

11. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I'm not in that immediate area, but kind of :D nearby in another area of the Ozarks people try to claim is *ONLY* conservative. And I'm pretty familiar with the area you're looking at.

And all I have to say is: nonsense. :rolleyes: There's all kinds of people out here. And in fact, a week or so ago, some guy running for office (senate or ?) on a so-called family values platform (or so he called it, although his flyers read basically NO GAY PEOPLE! AND I HATE LIBERALS!) -- in any case, he was roundly defeated in the primaries.

Sure, his opponent is -- well, a country guy :D --- but *conservatism* in this area is very different from the so-called conservatives claiming they're conservatives. If that makes sense. It's more the traditional kind of conservatism.

This area is very much live and let live. A lot of people are very religious, but it's the very nice kind of religious --- not the *I'm going to have to run you over with my backhoe if you don't believe like me!!* kind. And my sense is, many more people are anti-govt than the current flavor of conservative. But there's all kinds of people out here. As long as you don't start proselytizing everyone with how right you are and how wrong they are, you'll be fine. :)

12. ozarkin'it

ozarkin'it Well-Known Member

it is a really great place, Ranger boats is in flippin, and they employ hundreds of people ( largest bass boat manufac. in the country) try ozark realty as well as the others. they dont share an mls system on properties like some do in bigger cities

13. punkrockpilot

punkrockpilot Well-Known Member

I lived in the Yellville area for 5 years and have regreted moving away every day...so I just bought 14.5 acres in my old stomping ground and I am making plans to get back asap!

14. daileyjoy

of everybody here punkrock sounds like you are a little more like my dh and I than most. just by the name of course ;)

15. det28

det28 Well-Known Member

We bought land in Newton County in 2001, about five miles out of Ponca on the mountain. It is a beautiful county. We are just working to try to get things finished here in order to move up there. I love it there at all times of year. We just returned from there a couple of weeks ago. After working outside during the day, we would get hot and to cool off, we would go down to the Buffalo River and jump in the cold water. WoooHooo! Instant cool-down! :haha:
    det28