mound septic

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by pcdreams, Nov 11, 2005.

1. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

just curious what these systems are running elsewhere. I priced one for our property in VT at 10-15k!! OUCH!!

I haven't had the property perked yet but I'm betting (based on the area and that several others in the area are) that that is what I'll have to have.

2. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

Your putting the cart before the horse.

I just had our place perced this past summer. the perc says at what rate and what kinds of leech fileds you can have. Got to have that before you can say if your leech field needs to be 20 foot by 40 foot, or 60 foot by 100 foot.

Whether have to use a chambered system, or a stone-bed system.

On our place, the soils engineer took core samples and told us tha tat location 'A', one kind of system could be used.

but that at location 'B' a different kind of system could be used.

We kept moving around to find a location where the cheapest kind of system could be installed.

Our stone-bed is not done yet, but the written estimate to do it is $7500. This includes: a septic tank and 'lifting station' pump, 350 foot trench and piping to reach the leech-field, the stone-bed and leechfield.

3. pcdreams

I hope we get that lucky :). Around here (Missouri) I don't know if there are mound systems (have never heard of any). I know septic here runs about $15-2500 on avg. so I was a bit sticker shocked.

Whats the going rate to get the engineer out to do a plan? I know regs are stricter up there. Here they just have you do the test and send in the results. LOL

4. ET1 SS

It cost me $145

5. heather

heather Well-Known Member

ditto

Our engineered plans cost $200
    Our engineer didn't "come out" to do a plan -
    She took the perc info, soil maps, etc. & just did it -

It's a highly regulated process - don't forget all the permit fees! :grit:

Our system cost $10,300 - it was the smallest system allowed & that was a great rate for our area

6. pcdreams

Wow!! I hope thats the case. I got a friend sending me a phone book.

How long are these perc test usually good for? I've heard some say 90 days and others say untill the laws are revised. Probally a jusrisdiction issue I should ask about eh?

7. ET1 SS

We only had to do one permit with one fee.

$75 got me a permit good for 5 years, to build as many buildings as I described on the application.

I included the house, septic system, garage, equipment barn, animal stable, 350 foot driveway, and a guest house up by the road.

8. pcdreams

I think I'm going to have to call the town clerks office. She's not been returning my letters or e-mail.. sounds like it may not be as expensive to do this project as I was thinking.

9. ET1 SS

It gets filed with the state and can be used in the future.

Also a copy was submitted with my building application.

Once done, it is good for a looong time.

On the other hand, at one property that I was looking at, I did hire an engineer. that one failed that property. He charged me 'under the table'. So there was no recorded failure on file. I was told that if I hauled in 4 feet of good loam and planted grass over it. In 5 years it would pass a perc test easily.

I did not want to wait the 5 years, but on the other hand, he did not want to permanantly 'fail' an otherwise 'good' property.

So accroding to these guys a perc test results stay on file with the state forever.

10. heather

Definitely check with your township - it's different everywhere -
    Believe it or not, some of ours were good for 10+ years!!

11. heather

Well, we paid easily over $1000 for all the permits we needed SO FAR. That does not include when it comes time to build our garage next summer/fall :stars:

12. ET1 SS

Dont take insult with what I am about to say. Peace.

God lord man, dont call her or e-mail her!

Buruecrats hate that, and will drag their feet or give you the wrong answers just because you are seen as a pain in her -----.

Go there, in person and bring an icy cold soda (for her). Call her by her first name. Apologize for disturbing her.

13. pcdreams

oh man, how I'd love to be able to do that. Problem is were about 1200 miles away. LOL

We're trying like heck to have everything in place (permit wise which will include well and septic) before we leave here because we will have one summer to get everything closed in and ready for winter, OR have a camp trailer just in case.

14. WindowOrMirror

WindowOrMirror ..where do YOU look? Supporter

with 1250 gallon tank was $13,800 here

15. ET1 SS

I understand.

I was able to get my building permit wihtout the septic sytem installed. LURC only requires that the "soil-science/septic-design engineer" has studied the area and submitted his report and designed system/

I started working on-scene this past March, i got a lot done, but not enough to allow 'wintering over'. Had to put the family into a small apartment near-by for the coming winter. I hope to get us moved in this coming summer.