Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
9,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wouldn't you know!
After driving the 60 miles to the test site, I get there and I had a signal light burned out :flame:

The man giving the test seemed to be an extremely ornery type so I just figured I automatically "failed".
But he told me if I could get it fixed in the next hour, I could come back and he'd see if he could work me in.

So, I did, and I passed.

I got some lunch and rode the 60 miles home.
It was fairly windy and I learned how those wind gusts can make riding more difficult.

THEN!
Now that I have a license and can carry a passenger, and even though DH once said he'd NEVER ride in THAT side car, he climbed in and we rode 20 miles to DD's house for supper and then back home again.

So I put on about 165 miles today----------all of it going no more than 45 MPH because I'm still in that break-in range for a new bike.

I'm loving it!
One thing I notice while riding the bike, is the "smells".
Anything from a field of blossoming alfalfa to a several days old road kill.
The smells are so much more noticable on a motorcycle.

And am I ever getting lots of attention over my bike!
Everyone wants to know more about it.
Even while I sat in a restaurant eating lunch, I could see people gathered around looking at my bike.
I think plenty of them are surprised when they see an old Granma get on it and ride off! :)

My bike---
http://www.imz-ural.com/tourist/

·
Registered
167 Posts
Congratulations! I got my endorsement when I was 40. It's really a hoot and you're right about the smells.

Keep the shiny side up!

Suzi

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
In addition to the wonderful smells (and a few bad ones) are the temperature differentials to experience. Go for a ride through rolling hills in the evening and you will experience warm and cool spots.

My brother once asked me about riding past dead skunks and if it wasn't horrible to ride past them.

I laughed and told him no, that with a motorcycle you smell it for a couple of seconds and the smell is gone. In his auto he captures the smell and it lingers until one sometimes has to roll the window down for fresh air.

Here is a sidecar story for you---
At Newton, Kansas there is motorcycle equipped with a side car built to accommodate a wheel chair occupant. This particular motorcycle also is equipped for the wheel chair occupant to operate the motorcycle, however the controls set lower in the sidecar so that people don't see them----only the riderless motorcycle charging down the highway with some guy in a wheel chair in a sidecar hanging on for dear life. Cars have been known to chase it down to see what the deal is.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Way cool TallPines!!! I would consider riding a motorcycle if I could do it like that. Don't ya just love being the center of attention?

Windy, I think that this person that you are talking about has been in my area because I have seen something very much like that. It sure got my attention... but we are side by side at a stop light, so I didn't panic. *grin*
God bless you and yours
Deb

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
Hears The Water said:
Windy, I think that this person that you are talking about has been in my area because I have seen something very much like that.
Deb
I belonged to the same motorcycle group he did in the 1990s. There was a rally in Springdale, Arkansas that we both attended. Depending upon when you saw him/it, that might have been the time.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Congrats on passing da test!!

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
for my test many, many years ago, i rode up with my new bike....The DMV woman came out with a clipboard and asked me : Did YOU ride that bike here by yourself?" if i said no, i was caught in a lie,,,,if i said yes i had broken the law.... i said yes, she said "ok" and signed my ticket to ride.

the smells, your are right,,,,

i had not ridden a bike in about 20 years until i purchased my second bike a few months ago..the first thing i noticed is that its about 5 times more dangerous than it was back then.... people on cell phones. people rolling through stop signs, and plain bulling. Be VERY careful...anticipate every situtation to be life threatning,,,because sooner or later it will be. If the past 24 hours and 300 miles , i've had to dodge a drunk on a bicycle, a dog with two pups, a dear with her fauwn and a transfer truck that drifted head on into my lane. seems someone tries to kill me about once a week.

oh yeah,,,,the excuse to my wife was i need a bike because of the gas crisis.. she said "gas crisis my rumpus,,,its midlife crisis"

i would love to try a rig...so my kids could ride in more comfort.

i missed what kind of rig you drive...what is it? and how about a pic?

·
Banned
9,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ace admirer said:
"gas crisis my rumpus,,,its midlife crisis"

i missed what kind of rig you drive...what is it? and how about a pic?
http://www.imz-ural.com/tourist/

Haven't a photo of my personal bike yet but this link will give you a picture of what mine looks like ........except my has a chrome bumper around the front of the side car and I had them put on a wind shield.

"midlife crisis"
How true.
But you know what?
When I'm on that bike, I forget about all my other aches and pains.

Sitting in a fishing boat will do that for me, too.
And it's so nice not to feel those arthritic aches and pains for a couple of hours :)

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
One day DD and I were driving and saw 4 bikes. Two were Harleys, one was a Honda Goldwing and the 4th was a three wheel Trike. All were riden by Senior Citizens. They were at least in their 60's. What was funny was the one lady on the Trike was about a block behind the other ones. It was two men and two women.

We stopped to let DD's dog out to do her busniss and the one lady that was behind on the trike stopped and ask if she could help us.

Loved it.

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Wow! way to go!

DH is now telling me all about the engine in your Russian bike -- and he's smiling because you have a driven side-wheel AND a reverse gear! (Even Honda's Goldwing doesn't have that!)

Congratulations! I hope you have many happy rides on that, and maybe even get to drive it through the Ural Mountains for which it was named. :D

Pony!

·
Banned
9,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ruby said:
They were at least in their 60's. QUOTE]

Yup----I'm at the beginning of that "60 something" decade :)

So maybe I can't refer to it as a "midlife" crisis :rolleyes:

More like an "old timer's" crisis! :hobbyhors

One last fling before the rocking chair :p

·
Banned
9,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pony said:
Wow! way to go!

DH is now telling me all about the engine in your Russian bike -- and he's smiling because you have a driven side-wheel AND a reverse gear! (Even Honda's Goldwing doesn't have that!)

Congratulations! I hope you have many happy rides on that, and maybe even get to drive it through the Ural Mountains for which it was named. :D

Pony!

Well, I knew I have a reverse gear. (haven't used it yet.)

The Tourist model is only one wheel drive so I'm thinking maybe I don't have the side wheel drive?????
I know the higher end models have 2 wheel drive.
My DS tried to talk me into the 2 wheel drive but I was more interested in the color RED-------Red is not an option in the 2 wheel drive models----------and of course, 1 wheel drive is cheaper. :cool:

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
tallpines said:
Well, I knew I have a reverse gear. (haven't used it yet.)

The Tourist model is only one wheel drive so I'm thinking maybe I don't have the side wheel drive?????
I know the higher end models have 2 wheel drive.
My DS tried to talk me into the 2 wheel drive but I was more interested in the color RED-------Red is not an option in the 2 wheel drive models----------and of course, 1 wheel drive is cheaper. :cool:

We were reading the specs page, and it says you have a shaft drive, which Nick assures me means that your side car wheel is driven. But maybe not. He says he'd have to ride it to be sure, and when can you come on down here to Ill-annoy?

Pony!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts