Motor meals

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jan Doling, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a good recipe for a meal wrapped in foil and cooked under the hood on a road trip? And where exactly under the hood should I place the foil packet?

We're going to the Keys in a month and it will either be an 8 hour trip, with picnic stops or a 4 hour trip with a motel stop, depending on when we leave and what we do along the way. I thought it would be cool to show the kids how to save money and be self-sufficient.

2. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

3. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

delete/mistake post

4. YoungOne

YoungOne Well-Known Member

I do up a good bar-b-que, chill it in the cooler. about 2 hours before lunch I strap it to the intake manifold. This is the only vehicle it has worked on. If you get to much air flow it will keep it cool.

5. treefrog

treefrog Well-Known Member

i have used this to make pot roast. tightly wrap up a chunk of beef (boneless chuck works well) with a potato, a carrot, an onion, salt & pepper, etc. in several layers of aluminum foil, and wire it to the exhaust manifold (not the intake, that's not hot) and let it cook a couple hours. this works well in the summer. i don't know about how well it would work in the winter.

pax
    t.f.

6. YoungOne

YoungOne Well-Known Member

I totaly agree, problem is newer cars have no room anywere except the top. :rolleyes:

7. roadless

roadless Well-Known Member Supporter

A slice of ham, canned yam, slice of pineapple , topped with brown sugar. Yum.