Motion Sensor/work Thru Windows?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by floramum, Aug 12, 2006.

1. floramum

floramum Well-Known Member

Not Sure This Is The Right Forum To Post This On, But Security Is An Issue For All Of Us. I Have Kids Walk Thru My Yard At Night And Late Night For Over A Year. Usually On The Weekend. I Have My House, Small Rental House, And Two Barns Here On 4 Acres. Dont Have A Dog, Would Hate To Have To Have One On A Leash All The Time, Besides I Am Allergic To Dogs. I Need A Low Tech, Low Budget Way Of Getting Rid Of These Human Pests. I Am Pretty Sure Who They Are But Can Never Catch Them. We Have Two Well Placed Security Lights Put In By The Power Co.

Will A Motion Detector Work If You Set It In The Window?

Thanks.

Mum

2. Qwispea

Qwispea Well-Known Member

i tHINK iT dEPENDS uPON tHE tYPE oF mOTION dETECTOR. i kNOW tHAT sOME oF tHEM dON'T aCTUALLY sENSE mOTION ..bUT rATHER ..tHEY sENSE mOVING 'bODY hEAT'.

..yOU mIGHT wANT tO 'gOOGLE' yOUR qWESTION!

3. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

4. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

ROFLMAO

Put up electric fence.

5. CatsPaw

CatsPaw Who...me?

A standard store bought motion detector won't work thru a window. It sends out an ultrasonic signal that bounces off an object and then is received as a slightly delayed signal. As long as the delay remains the same, nothing happens. When the delay changes that means something must be changing position, so, it activates. The window will bounce the signal back and block it from returning off anything on the other side.

There are sensors with a light you can buy and install, or you can buy a sensor that screws into an exisitng fixture to make it motion activated (or if you're the tinkering type it can activate some other form of deterent like unlocking a cage full of angry beavers or something.)

6. floramum

floramum Well-Known Member

Thanks For Your Input. We Have Decided To Put A Security Light On The Front Of The Little House As It Faces A Small Pasture And Doesnt Have A Porch Or Porch Light. This Is On The West Side.

Our First Barn Is Really Parking Spaces For Truck, Trailer, But It Is Dark, May Be The Way They Are Coming In. There Are Also Bushes And Tree Limbs That Touch The Ground That Way. Sev. Ways We Need To Improve On For Security. Like A Perimeter Fence.....hey Electric Would Be Great. Thanks.

Mum

7. suitcase_sally

suitcase_sally Well-Known Member Supporter

We have a motion detector from Radio Shack that sends a radio beam. We have the receiver mounted in the barn and the unit is nailed to a tree by the drive. It picks up a 150 or more foot radius and works great.

Floramum, Why Is Every Word Capitalized?

8. citilivin

citilivin Well-Known Member

They have solar powered flood lights with motion sensors. These can be placed almost anywhere with no hard wire connection needed. The lights will not stay light for hours, but it would work perfectly for what you need.

9. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

10. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

We have a driveway alarm from Harbor Freight and it works great except when it is real windy. I think weeds moving get it upset. It has a long range, maybe 40 yards or more, and picks up cats and birds. Nothing gets by it. It makes a beep in the house when somthing triggers it.

I wonder too, why capitalize every word? I've seen lots of trends come and go on the internet and was just wondering if this is a new and upcoming thing or if it is your own personal style? It surely slows down my reading speed. Ever seen those people who capitalize every other letter? I just skip them.

11. suitcase_sally

suitcase_sally Well-Known Member Supporter

Exactly. I don't know where to stop or start.

I have another aquaintence who uses no puctuation. No stops or commas. I quit coresponding. It wore me out to read his notes.