motion detector camera...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by roadless, Nov 25, 2006.

1. roadless

roadless Well-Known Member Supporter

I was thinking of getting one for my DH for Christmas for our secluded off grid cabin. Is anyone familar with them? Any information will be appreciated. I think he would really enjoy seeing film of the wildlife in the area.

2. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

From what I have read, Cuddeback seems to set the standard, but you pay for it. A local sportsmens store had a Black Friday special on an entry level Bushnell so I picked one up for a Christmas present. Now I have to wait til Christmas to try it!
    IMO digital is the way to go. Higher the resolution the better. If you can go infrared over flash, do it.

3. pistolsmom

pistolsmom Well-Known Member

Exactly what Mobarger said! Don't buy one that takes film.......and get rechargable batteries!

4. roadless

About how much we talking for a decent set up? I know nothing about it. Thanks for the info!

5. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

You can get one that works just fine at China Mart for under $100. Do not get the type that uses a flash or if you do, shut the flash off.

The problem with this type of camera is theft. It must be left unattended in a remote area and if discovered, will likely be stolen.

Another reason you shouldn't buy anything but an economical unit.

6. MN Mom

MN Mom Well-Known Member

We have one of those $100 units from Wal-mart that takes a 6v flashlight battery. We love it except during the winter because the battery freezes and we get no pictures. Go digital for sure. Buy an extra storeage card so all you have to do is walk up to the camera and change cards and not have to untie or move the camera.

If you have bears in the area and decide to do the 35mm make sure you buy the metal safety box and chain the unit to a big tree. Bears love the smell of the film and will distroy the camera to get to it.

If you decide to get sneaky and use deer sents or other type of animal sents do not put it on the tree the camera is on. I know a guy who put doe sent on the tree and has great pictures of a very made in the mood buck ripping his camera apart.

We always leave our flash on. Normal use the battery lasts about 3 monthes. They do sell solar recharged battery unit that is seperate from the camera and hooks up with a cord.

Jon

7. roadless

Thank you all for the information, I really appreciate it. I am VERY techno challenged!

8. MN Mom

MN Mom Well-Known Member

If you want to have some fun there are free plans on the internet how to build your own. Will prably cost the same to build one that it takes to buy one unless you have some of the stuff laying around.

Jon

9. lj

lj Well-Known Member

I have two stealth cameras and have been well satisfied ( $169 from Cabela's ) can down load to your computer. Also buy the battery pack for $34.

10. Gary in AL

Gary in AL Well-Known Member

I have a Leaf River IR that uses no flash and love it. Batteries last me 2 - 3 months. They suppose to be the best.
    Gary

www.myleafriver.com