Mother's little helper....

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by roadless, Nov 21, 2006.

1. roadless

roadless Well-Known Member Supporter

....zoloft? That is what the Dr recommended when I asked about how to handle the intense moods ( :Bawling: :flame: :badmood: :Bawling: )I am starting to experience due to menopause. There has got to be a better way. Any suggestions? :help:

2. roadless

Thanks for your encouragement, it is nice to know I'm not alone.
    Are the Climara patches a hormone? I will be having my ovaries removes in a couple of weeks and I wonder if hormone replacement would be helpful.
    It is difficult to exercise when my energy level is so low, I am hoping that after my operation I will get back into walking, you are right it does help.

3. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Mother's LIttle Helper is diazepam/valium not zoloft or the other antidepressants. They are much less addictive in fact even not considered so. Worth a trial I would suggest but exercise/meditation/other stress relievers are also worth trying. If you start a drug jUst keep in touch with your doctor and maybe the folks in your family complaining about you (maybe THEY need drugs?)

4. roadless

Jenn, the thought of going on any type of drug freaks me out abit, I have not had a drink or a drug for over 25 years (long story!) Actually, I aready FEEL like I am a druggie, with the out of control , angry, depressed moods. Thanks for the links, omnicat I will check them out after work.

5. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

Might I suggest something ie a cream with 2 % progesterone in it, rubbed on the wrists...I heard this on Oprah...we dont have such cream here, well not that I can find it yet!!!!! Also here we have tablets like "Promensil" which I take and find good..they contain the ivoslavanes (red clover) that is sposed to be good.
    And I also have homemade Soy and Linseed bread...and Soy and linseed rice crackers...they must help cos while I remember to eat this stuff all is good with the world. I really didnt think getting old was going to be this hard...I used to pride myself to being pretty intune with it..but now <groan>.

6. Txsteader

Txsteader Well-Known Member

"Doctor, please. Some more of these. Outside the door, she took four more". Here's a link to the lyrics:
    http://www.oldielyrics.com/lyrics/the_rolling_stones/mothers_little_helper.html

That's why we had a generation of mothers addicted to valium. They are considered an addictive drug.

I'd venture to say that all drugs have some adverse side effects. I would only resort to medication as a last resort. That means doing your own research for alternatives and/or finding a doctor whose solution isn't to write a prescription. Possibly look into programs that teach stress-coping skills. I know that meno is physiological, but dealing with the stressfull feelings can sometimes be dealt with psychologically, learning calming techniques, etc. It's not always easy, but it is possible, if you're determined.

7. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

what about ST John's Wort? and the progesterone cream. when I had my hysterectomy I went thru the mood swings you are talking about. I found myself screaming at everyone over nothing...and crying at the drop of a hat. I was overly hot all the time, my heart was racing and I was really scared there was something wrong with me. I started on St Johns wort and the cream and within weeks you could tell a difference. I did keep my ovaries but still doubt that they are functioning "normally".

8. DenverGirlie

DenverGirlie Well-Known Member

soy, soy, soy products. Get them in your system.

9. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Valium is VERY addictive.

I take Zoloft. Only 50 mg per day, and it works for me, but it's not addressing hormone issues. I think your doc needs to look at the problem, not the effects of the problem.

Menopause/hormone issues needs to be treated as that.

I'd get a second opinion.

10. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

I mainly just toughed it out. It does end, eventually.
    However, I was in a job where I didn't have to deal directly with people, and I didn't have kids. Also I have no way of knowing whether you're in better or worse condition than I was.

Sometimes newsgroups like alt.support.menopause can be a help.

11. roadless

I work at a high school ....good grief , menopause and puberty what a combination! Lots of drama ,anger and tears! When I am able to look at it objectively it is funny! I am looking forward to the leveling off of moods.....I don't like the out of control feeling.

12. Judy in IN

Judy in IN Well-Known Member Supporter

DIM! I was just starting the night sweats this summer, and wanting to bite people's heads off! I'm still cycling, which doesn't seem fair. I did a search because of another thread here for the progesterone/estrogen therapy, and discovered the DIM. Check it out! I will never be without it again!

I'm MUCH more in control of myself now.....and MUCH nicer! :)

13. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

I found that black cohosh taken daily helped, as does St Johns' Wort ... just kinda evens things out.

Watkins has a 'female formula' daily vitamin with herbs in it that I used to take when I was still cycling and it really helped ease up the PMS symptoms (it has similar herbs and helps to balance things out).

It will pass - my mother had a hysterectomy and so had the sudden withdrawal of all her hormones, whew that was unpleasant! Mine fortunately is gradual and hasn't been too bad.

Hang in there. :) Take good care of yourself!