Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2004-07-25-see-spot-storm_x.htm?csp=15

A sunspot group aimed squarely at Earth has grown to 20 times the size of our planet and has the potential to unleash a major solar storm.

Sunspots are areas of intense magnetic energy, cooler and darker than the surrounding surface of the thermonuclear furnace. Sometimes the magnetic fields let loose and huge amounts of radiation and charged particles are hurled into space.

The Sun's last bout of intense storminess occurred last fall, when a string of 10 major flares over two weeks knocked out satellites, damaged others, and forced the FAA to reroute airlines away from exposed polar routes.

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
Does this mean we need to dig out our tin foil hats???? :confused: :confused:

·
Middle-Aged Delinquent
267 Posts
I've already got mine on from the last dire warning about ghouls. Remember, shiney side out to reflect them!

·
Super Moderator
13,533 Posts
Plays hell with the CB radios too.

·
Registered
248 Posts
coalroadcabin said:
helps with HAM radio though.
BTW, are there any other HAM operators on this board?
~KE4CKK
Might help some people, but it's playing hell with the ionosphere, so shortwav, 3-20Mhz is gone, for all practical purposes. Sure you'll get odd bounces though.

My normal shortwave broadcasts I pick that normally come booming in are all but gone.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Higher antenna! :)

BTW the last "big" flare everyone was worried about,,,,,it only knocked out a Jap satalite.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
boren said:
Might help some people, but it's playing hell with the ionosphere, so shortwav, 3-20Mhz is gone, for all practical purposes. Sure you'll get odd bounces though.

My normal shortwave broadcasts I pick that normally come booming in are all but gone.
Hmmm...........I'm just a lowly no-code tech so I don't know a whole bunch. And when it seemed that I was able to receive better (further) I assumed it must be because of sunspot activity......maybe it's something else? One thing about ham radio, there's so much to learn! :)

·
Premium Member
18,136 Posts
Joy in Eastern WA said:
Ah, the northern lights have and will continue to put on quite a show!

We had quite the display of northern lights on Saturday night here in north central Minnesota....just beautiful! I'm all for the sunspots!

·
Premium Member
3,179 Posts
This should be interesting. The last one played havoc with the wireless on Campus. What's funny is that many people use technology w/o knowing how it actually works. You should hear some of the calls the Help Line gets when the culprit is actually Mother Nature!

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
I'm ready!!!!

:eek: :haha: :haha:

big rockpile

1 - 18 of 18 Posts