Mother Nature's little surprises

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by len, Mar 5, 2004.

1. len

len Well-Known Member

I was putting hay down this morn when I heard a sound, a little muffled, might have been a kitten. Went on with my chores, feeding hay on snow banks in the yard. All the ewes came out of the loafing pen. Then I heard the sound again. I'll bet every shepherd has experienced this...the unmistakable bleat of a newborn lamb. I looked in the pen and there they were, twins standing beside their mom. My emergency maternity pen is the alleyway so I put down some straw, got a pail of water and a slice of hay for the ewe. Picked up the twins and carried them to the alleyway, mom followed. Both were clean and dry, must have been born hours before, felt like they had sucked already. I was about to head over to the chicken barn...let the new mom settle in a bit. Then I heard that sound again...yes, you guessed it...another lamb, snuggled in beside the manger, wondering no doubt why he had been left behind.
    Triplets! If only they all arrived this way. And from a flock that isn't due to start lambing until April 15. Hmmm...George the ram has some explaining to do.

Just wanted to share the news, thanks for listening.

2. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

Oh how neat!! Triplets that came so easily! Wow...congratulations!

And don't come down too hard on George...after all, he's just doing his job! :haha: And he produced three for ya (well, okay - Mom did the work, but still...)

-Sarah
    (debating getting a couple of bottle lambs...)

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I've got a few rams with sly grins myself. I've threatened a few with Mutton sausage recipes but they seem unconcerned.

4. Polly in NNY

Polly in NNY Well-Known Member

Oliver snuck in too, and I also had lambs a couple of weeks before I expected them. Congratulations.

5. betty modin

betty modin Well-Known Member

Aren't you the luck one? Hope you gave that sweet good mamma an extra treat for saving you all that work and worry that birthing season seems to give to us humans. betty

6. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Oh.. Congrats !! :D And as always, Please post a picture if you can!!