Mother Earth News - $10 a year

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by homebirtha, Apr 26, 2006.

1. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

I have mixed feelings about Mother Earth News these days, but I thought others here might like to know about this deal I found when I went to renew my subscription online.

If you do their "Earth Friendly" subscription option, which means you give them your credit card number and they automatically renew your subscription every year, it's only $10 for this year. They say since they don't have to send you renewal notices and you don't have to send in checks, it saves them money, etc. It automatically renews at whatever the current Earth Friendly rate is each year, so you may not want to keep it forever, but it's a good deal for this year. $10 for 6 issues is the cheapest I've ever seen it.

Just thought others might like to know about a deal. :)

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I gave up MEN a few years ago....too high-end greenie weenie for me...
    I do love the online archive though :)

3. mamastars

mamastars Well-Known Member

I took MEN for several years, years ago. I received an offer for $10 yr. thought it may have changed in the last few years. It is still to high-end for me. Didn't renew again.

4. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

At first glance it is tempting but..... I subscribed about 2 years ago after a long lapse of about 5 years. The first few issues were pretty good but then it took a shift towards Hollywood feel good type stuff and I let it lapse again. In all honesty, it was only worth about $3.50 a year for the interesting ad links....
    Tana Mc

5. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

6. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

Geez,I loved Mother Earth News so much when I first started reading it. I was just a wee lass and there just weren't alot of people my age that were interested in those things. That magazine was like a portal to a world I wanted to know...I cherished it.
    Now...I don't want to read it at all. The last issues I read were disappointing. I love the old issues and the archives..I'll even look over their website sometimes. I don't want to buy a subscription with them,though.

7. to live free

to live free Well-Known Member

country side and small stock journal is excellent makes mother's look like a reader digest :hobbyhors

8. ACL

ACL Member

Yep- I love countryside and small stick journal- its my favourite of all the magazines and the only one I subscribe too...

Did buy a copy of MEN today for the first time in over a year- its a bumper issue but haven't flicked through it yet....

Also bought a copy of a mag I had never seen before and that is 'Hobby Farms' but just having flicked through that it has even more ads in than MEN

Give me CSSJ anyday!! :D

9. ACL

ACL Member

Sorry- that should have read small 'stock' journal not small 'stick' journal :D

10. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

If they wanted to go really green they could cut the ads by 25% and completely eliminate air pollution just from the forests they'd save. It did have articles in the issue I saw, no depth, little detail but it did have very slick pretty ads. My advice is don't waste your time or money with it. What I'd like to see is an old copy of the whole earth catalog. Saw my first in the mid 70's, enjoyed that a lot.

11. ACL

ACL Member

And I think the content counts for a lot more...I mean most of Countryside mag is just black and white and it isn't slick but thats the appeal- its honest....with articles that are useful for those of us who don't exactly have much money to flash around to buy the latest gadgets...

I love the chicken feeder in the latest mag.....made out of a bin from the dollar store!!

12. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

I let my subscription run out on MEN a while back. I agree - the older issues were a lot better.

Hobby Farms runs out soon and I won't renew.

Both too slick, not a lot depth - not that I'm a know it all, but geeee.

Amen to Countryside and this site! :)

13. hesmith

hesmith Active Member

I have MEN and Countryside. Have had MEN for several years but it does little for common folks. In the 70's it was great but now all commercial.
    Countryside is much more useful to me.
    I do like the Cd's of MEN though.

14. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

I feel the same way. A while back, my Mom surprised me with a gift subscription....it came twice, and I never saw any more issues, although it cost my Mom £25.00. I noticed that it was being 'outsourced'...the Philipines, I think. I still have a few old seventies issues, I've been carting them all around the world for thirty years and more.

15. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

Thank you much for the heads up, but TMEN died when Shuttleworth sold out.

16. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Wonderful wasn't it I plan on making a few when I get home.

17. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

We used to love it.

But then, it got bad.

It is jsut so stuffed full of commercials and advertising that it is sickening.

Sorry :(