Mother Daughter trips / vacations

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by DenverGirlie, Jan 3, 2007.

1. DenverGirlie

DenverGirlie Well-Known Member

My mother and I are going to take a vacation together, but we are having a hard time determining where to go or what to do....

Any ideas for us? We both enjoy the outdoors, was thinking of maybe doing white water rafting or kayaking.... we both hike so that would be an option as well. My mother is actually in better shape than I am so no real physical limitations.

I do not have a passport, but I suppose I can get one if we would want to leave the US borders, but then it would most likely only be Canada, perhaps Mexico or the like, no large scale international travel, we just don't have that type of time, thinking more along the lines of 5 days or so.

Unfortunately we both have already traveled the US extensively, so there isn't really any place I can think to go to that we haven't already been.

We have discussed San Francisco - I haven't been there since 1988, and I would like to go the Alcatraz tour, but other than that I don't really have a huge draw to go to California.

I also considered Washington D.C. I was last there in 1990 and 1998, but only did the museums on the 1990 trip and then it was very rushed.

However, both of these places don't really have a "wow" factor to them.... perhaps I'm trying to come up with something bigger than it needs to be, the purpose of the trip is to spend time together seeing that we normally only see each other 2X's a year and only for a few days each trip.

So do you have any ideas for us?

2. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

What about Alaska? Tons of outdoor stuff to do there, even in the winter (just came back from there :) ). Definitely a "wow" factor.

Also, if you look beyond the cities in California, there is a ton of outdoor stuff to do there as well - Death Valley in the spring, for example, is supposed to be stunning. Not sure what time of year you're planning to go, but spring is whitewater season in most of the country.

Have a great time, wherever you decide to go! Your mom sounds cool. :cool:

3. nduetime

nduetime I am a Christian American Supporter

I have always wanted to take a waterfall tour. You go throughout whichever state you choose and hike to see different waterfalls. you would be amazed at how many states have them - even wisconsin has a ton!

p.s. My daughter and I took a mini vacation together when she was 19 and it was one of our best times together. Now she is an old married woman with a couple of kids but we have been planning on going back to montana together one day. Great way to create nice memories for you both.

4. Dente deLion

Dente deLion Well-Known Member

I like the notion of a "theme" trip, like nduetime's waterfalls. And really, I can't think of anything better than that that might suit you. My own tastes would probably tend toward the silly, like goofy museums or Thai restaurants or towns that start with a certain letter or end in "ville." And I think I know where this odd streak comes from: On one family vacation when I was a child, my mom and I decided to order hot fudge sundaes in as many places as possible and rate them to find the best one. I have no idea what won, of course, now that so many years have passed, but it was a fun addition to the usual Civil War reenactments and "world's largest ball of twine" stops.

5. Dente deLion

Dente deLion Well-Known Member

Another option might be to choose a small-town festival and build a trip around that. Once I spent a long weekend in southern Indiana just because I read about a persimmon festival - it struck me as the kookiest thing, and it turned out to be a hoot! There were dozens of food booths where every dish featured persimmon, including ice cream and fudge, and there were crafts & artworks featuring persimmons, and of course, the main event, the crowning of the Persimmon Queen. In addition to the festival, I found some cool caves nearby, and small state parks & such. It was perfect for a 3 or 4 day trip.

6. motivated

motivated Well-Known Member

Out here in CA there are cool trips with Southwind Kayak in Newport Beach and in San Diego with Aqua Adentures. 2-5 day trips. They sound like fun and hubby and I are planning to go this summer.
    motivated

7. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

If you're anything like me and my mother, I would strongly suggest you plan a trip that would allow the two of you to have some space away from each other occasionally, instead of being glued together the whole time. A cruise is a perfect example of this, but I personally can't think of anything more boring than a cruise, so that's not really a suggestion, just an example.

Also try to be clear about the sort of thing you think would be fun to do while you are away. My mother and I went on a couple international trips in the winter (cheap fares), and her idea of a good time was to wake up late, go to the sauna, eat a leisurely brunch/lunch in the hotel restaurant, and then try to hit a couple of cafes in the city. By the time she was done with her luxurious routine, we had about an hour and a half of daylight left. It drove me nuts. They have saunas, toast, and coffee at home--I didn't fly thousands of miles to a foreign land to sit in a sauna. It just seemed like a huge waste of opportunity and money to me, and it caused some real tension. If you and your mom have different ways of planning things and organizing your days, you might do well to plan a trip with an organized group or tour guide, so that neither of you is in charge of the hour to hour planning.

Other than that, Alaska sounds awesome. Or what about Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Islands, etc. up that way? How about a week at a "dude ranch"--some of them do photography expeditions, instead of hunting expeditions, and I think that would be neat. You could drive down the coast in California, starting in Napa Valley with maybe a side jaunt out to Yosemite, and ending down towards LA--there are some very cute towns down through there. I did that trip with my mom when I was about 8, but I remember it was very neat--Solvang, Sausolito, Carmel by the Sea, etc....

8. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

At the mention of cruises...try a Windjammer barefoot cruise.
    http://www.windjammer.com/ Tall ship, sails blowing, snapping in the wind..can even "crew" if you want. Most the travel is done during the night and you wake up in the morning in a new place to explore! Price isn't bad, and you have several different length cruises and ships to choose from.

And no, I haven't been on a cruise with them :Bawling: I've wanted to since I was 16 though, and whenever I find anyone who HAS been on a Windjammer cruise....I suck EVERY bit of information out of their heads!

Caution though...if you fly BACK into the US you'll need a passport to get back in! Might as well go ahead and get one...the price will only be going up :-(

Mon

9. SeptemberWolf

SeptemberWolf Well-Known Member

Have you tried kayaking the Great Lakes? How about time in the Badlands, camping and hiking? How about camping AND kayaking in the Boundary Waters/Quetico? Have you tried winter dogsledding trips?