Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my HEAD, I know that it is reasonable for a child his age to be splitting wood, and his father is out there showing him how to do it safely. They are having a tremendous testosterone-filled-macho-man time out there together, loving every minute of it. But my HEART sees my son- who hasn't gone through puberty yet even though he is 14- and who is still rather small out there with an AXE and, I just have to leave.

SO all ya'll that split wood when you were kids and lived to tell about it, I could sure benefit from your stories. (Don't tell me the almost chopped my leg off, rushed to the hospital variety of those stories PLEASE!)
TIA,
Cindyc.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Cindy - what I can tell you is that I think this part of parenting is the most difficult. It was easier for me when my son was small and I could protect him. As he got older and was more independent it was difficult to let go and let him make his own mistakes but I knew it was the right thing to do. He is just beginning his journey in becoming a man.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The fact you are worried shows your love for you son.

The fact you are letting them do this and not letting him see your fear shows you know how to raise a boy into a man.

Well done......

·
Premium Member
4,055 Posts
I've split many many cords of wood with both maul and hydrolic splitter, felled many trees...all starting when I was his age. Be glad he's not felling any trees yet or using a hydrolic splitter. That's where you are allowed to worry. He'll be fine.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
There is always the time to loosen the restrictions that we place on kids. 14 is old enough to let hem do things without so much worring if he will get hurt or not. You can't protect him from all dangers but with his father out their he will not be alone.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,644 Posts
Oh man he needs to do it in the Summer time,in sight of the road.So he can pull his Shirt off and have all the Young Ladies Wolf Whistle at him.Least thats what I did at that age :whistle: :dance:

big rockpile

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
He is just fine, Mom.

I agree, a hydraulic splitter, a chainsaw felling trees, or playing chainsaw massacre is reason to worry.

He is learning life lessons that he will not forget. Experience is king. Learn by doing.

Be thankful: You are teaching him how to stand on his own two feet when he enters the real world. I know plenty of kids that were 'protected' while growing up, and now they are adults that cannot function on their own.

Be also thankful that your post is not "My DS14 will not leave his room to lift one finger, and won't quit playing video games."

When he comes in, make sure you compliment him and thank him for his hard work, and willingness to help/learn/work. Make sure he knows that you are proud of him.

Now the last guy that was just a boy that spent time splitting logs for split rail fencing...what was his name???? Abraham Lincoln. Remember him?

Clove

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
We did a lot of work on the farm as kids and I can't remember any serious injuries using tools - especially when dad was helping and instructing. We always took lots of precaution when using machetes, hoes, axes, wood saws and such. We were extra careful around large machinery - tractors, combines, grinders.

Sometimes there are more dangers on a farm than splitting wood.

The horses we rode for "fun" caused far more serious injuries to us kids - 2 sisters with broken jaws at different times, 1 broken arm, 1 broken neck and a few concussions. An angry steer breaking a knuckle, hogs fighting and biting. Animals (which I love) are always predictably unpreditable on a farm and should never be taken for granted...always a risk.

Be proud of your son - and he'll be thankful for those strong arms and abs! Nothing like a farm for the best work out ever!!!

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
Forgot to add that I spent many, many days splitting wood as a teen, unsupervised, and had no injuries except for a blister or occasional splinter.

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
I spent many enjoyable hours splitting wood - I started at 12. I thought it did my shoulders a lot of good. Comes from being one of 5 girls on a dairy farm.....

·
Unreality star
9,894 Posts
What a great thing that he has a dad that will do this with him. He will remember it forever, those are the memories you want to build with him :)

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
He's 14, you raised him right theres no need to go panicing.
I got my first axe (actually a hatchet head on a shortened axe handle at 7 and rung many a tree. at 11 I got my first chainsaw a little homelite xl with a 12" bar . and managed to keep enough wood cut for the house . I still miss that saw it was still running fine when my dad backed over it when I was 21.

seems kinda strange fifty years ago boys that age were plowing fields,cutting wood and caring for live stock and no one thought anything of it .
Even today some kids are still taught these thing young as well they should be .

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Have him use the maul stead of an ax, he'll have a safer and more harmonious outcome.
Go on, tell him. Tell him or we spill the beans on mom anouncing his hormonal score to the .net

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have him use the maul stead of an ax, he'll have a safer and more harmonious outcome.
Go on, tell him. Tell him or we spill the beans on mom anouncing his hormonal score to the .net
oops!:eek: Guess I better not do that again. Sorry. Dh tells me that the thing he is using is a maul. Sorry. Didn't know the difference. :eek:

Cindyc.

PS Thank you all so much for the encouragement. He is a good boy and I am thankful.

·
Registered
688 Posts
He'll be fine! He is chopping wood. Be afraid when he is hanging out with friends that do drugs.

Don't know if you are Christian or not, but remember... God loves him more than you do. God will take care of him.

We were shooting shotguns at 12. We were fine.

Chopping wood is also good for stress relief. Now that he knows how to chop it when he gets mad send him outside with an axe!

You really are fortunate. You have wood to be chopped. Think about all those ADD city slicker kids that have no way to relieve anger...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts