Motels , travel , and Cash vs CC

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by fordy, Nov 30, 2006.

1. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............I'm tenatively , leaving on sunday for northeast iowa to pickup my 5th. wheel . I have a debit card from my bank which I use only for purchases . I plan on spending atleast the first night in a motel as the trip , one way is , 900 miles . I'd planned on just driving until sundown and stoping at the first clean looking motel along the highway and paying Cash for the Room . I read somewhere that some motels will NOT rent a room without a visa or Mc , even IF the person pays with cash !! Has anyone experienced this situation and what was the name of the motel chain ?? , thanks , fordy... :)

2. flaswampratt

flaswampratt Well-Known Member

Most will not accept cash due to the fact that damages can be recovered more easily with a major C.C. company, just like when trying to rent a vehicle.

With that said, when we travel we always use our debit card, it has the VISA emblem on it and I have never had a problem with any hotel, motel or no-tell, as well as any gas station or resturaunt.

In addition, when the traveling is complete, there is no hang-over from a c.c. card bill.

Good luck on your trip, and remember to watch your six.......

<///><

3. morrowsmowers

morrowsmowers Well-Known Member

A lot want you to pay with a card so they can run the card and get your name and address. That way, if the room is damaged or later they find a dead body under the bed they know who you are and where to start looking for you. Just use the debit card (assuming it is a Visa debit card) and you won't have any problems.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ :)

4. idontno

idontno Well-Known Member

Stayed in many motel all over the country...Cash worked for me..and you have to have a id....lost my DL in idaho and had a heck of a time getting a room coming home.Even with cash..idontno

5. Explorer

Explorer Well-Known Member Supporter

I have never found a motel that would not take cash. Even though they take cash for the initial fee, room rent, they still want a card, debit or credit, for damages, also now most require a picture ID. If I pay in cash with a card backup, the next morning I go and close the room account (important you get a bill with the final amount listed).

One other thing to watch out for is rarely a motel will 'reserve' a payment on your card when you pay cash. When you pay with the card the reserve is removed. So if you pay with cash, the next morning ask if anything was reserved and then request removal.

6. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

I've done a lot of traveling, showing dogs, and never had any problems paying cash for a room. Sometimes (seldom) they've wanted a credit card when I check in, but no problem paying in cash when I check out.

BTW, when you go over the state line stop at one of those state "tourist stops" and pick up..oops, forget what they're called...little cheap mags that list the motels in the state or several state area...there's usually at least 2-3 of them available. They list the prices of the different motels, and have specials. They're printed on newsprint type paper.

Mon

7. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

We use cash or debit card and have never had any problems. If you're going through Keokuk, wave hi to my former home!

8. DenverGirlie

DenverGirlie Well-Known Member

Often motels want cc for incedintails... the phone, order a movie in your room etc. You can always put your card down on hold and then pay with csh in the mroning. Just let the clerk know you want to do that if they have any issues with taking cash wehn you check in.