Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's coming along. Both these new gardens are started this last spring. Both are no till. zone 3.

Pic of the main garden Aug. 6. Things growing in there are
several tomato varieties....two rows
2 varieties of brocolli
'Bubbles' brussel sprouts
Bright Lights Swiss chard
4 rows of 3 varieties of onions
3 rows of American Flag leeks
'Red Acre' cabbage
Savoy Express cabbage
Premium Dutch late cabbage
4 varieties of peppers...1 row at the back
Gray Dwarf snow peas interplanted with 2 varieties of short carrots
Rutabagas and Spinach interplanted with onions

The 'overall':

The corn/squash/melon and climbing bean patch ( a variation of '3 sisters' gardening):
Golden Beauty sweet corn now silking and tasseling..expect harvest start Aug.25
Alaska and Chanteray melons (4 about the size of a small football already)
Squash and pumpkins: Orange Delight, Table Gold, Winter Sunshine, Bon Bon Buttercup and 3 varieties of bush zuchinni
Beans: Scarlet Runner, Uncle Mikes dry pinto bean, Kentucky blue lake, Fat man....all climbers now just blossoming...planted end of June

and....as usual...Caesar, the garden master is posing. lol

a few closeups:

a few days ago took this pic of some of the forming tomatoes on nice growing plants. tons of blossoms and there are many more small fruits coming daily now:

Super Dome Brocolli photo from 2 days ago. It's head has grown another inch or so in diameter since, almost ready to pick:

Pics from above, like WIHH does on the ladder. lol

the 3 sisters and landscape beyond:

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Beautiful pics! I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with green tomatoes still! We are very excited that our corn has started to tassel too!

I've never had much luck with broccoli. What's your secret??

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cindy in NY said:
Beautiful pics! I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with green tomatoes still! We are very excited that our corn has started to tassel too!

I've never had much luck with broccoli. What's your secret??
No matter how early I'd plant the tomatoes (last spring frost date here is early June), it's normal to NOT expect a ripe tomato here before mid August (zone 3). The corn is bang on target. It's a 75 day cultivar planted mid June, so it's doing what it should be. lol

Brocolli 'secret'? I think mostly it's the cooler climate. At least it does cool down at night often with a good morning dew (cool). Brassicas, like brocolli like that. IF, it's a hot spell, sometimes I've had them bolt to blossoms too early. Mulching and steady ground moisture levels, watering so they won't dry out really helps. Also, some varieities seem better such as Green Goliath I've had good luck with. Super Dome is one I'm trying out new this year. So far, so good.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Beautiful and HUGE, WOW. Looks so nice, congratulations!

You are encouraging me; next year borcolli.

It is amazing how everything fills in quickly.

Thanks for the pictures,

Alex

·
Registered
264 Posts
Great pictures of your beautiful garden! Thanks for posting the brocolli. We are growing it in our garden also and I was wondering why it looked like weird cabbage. I have to run out there now and see if I can see anything developing in the center. :)

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I just look at your pictures to see Cesar! We should have a "Find Cesar" thread like where's Waldo, except it would be new garden pics with him posing.

Oh, and your garden is very nice, too :baby04:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Here is a close up picture that I just took of our brocolli. I guess it looks normal afterall. :)

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cresindo,
are you sure that's a brocolli plant? It's difficult to tell exactly from that picture, but It looks a lot like my cabbage plants. lol
I'll try and take a picture of the brocolli that haven't started heading out yet for comparison.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks everyone!

fluidp, nice to see other's from zone 3 canadians posting. Hope you can post pics of your garden and stead, too!

okay, for crescindo and others....some pics of my different cabbages, but the first one is brocolli that I promised to show for comparison.

Brocolli: the one in front is a plant before it starts heading or sending shoots of brocolli. The mid one is one just starting to form a head about the size around as a silver dollar, and the back one is one that I cut the main head off and now side shoots are coming up. Notice the leaves compared to cabbage:

Now cabbages. The first pic is my green late cabbage, followed by Savoy (which frankly is the best growing one I have so far), and then a young red cabbage plant:

Might as well show what I did today. Where I harvested already some kohl rabi and places that other plants washed away (bad storms in june) there is now planted seeds for the fall garden. Not much time in zone 3 here from now, but these two rows are pak choi and chinese cabbage that should make it by end of september (hope so, anyway)

I just parted the grass clippings mulch and laid down a couple of inches of compost, then planted seed over that and watered it. Should germinate quickly and the compost help take it off for some decent growth yet.
In other rows where there were openings, I planted some lettuce and kohl rabi also for the fall garden.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
moonwolf...the garden is doing great.glad to see it taking shape now.thanks for psoting all the pic's to give us a over view of this special no till method and how good it works for you.i planted up a patch of about 40 hills of kennbec potatoes to try your method of gardening out .the plants are blooming and seem to be "happy" so i may get a nice late harvest of taters.keep up the good work and also for thinking "outside the box" for ways to garden and do stuff.

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
that is a very beautiful and tidy garden. It's given me ideas for next years garden though mine cannot be as large as yours is. Mine has become somewhat of a mess, with pumpkiins taking over everything else!

·
Registered
264 Posts
moonwolf, you're right. The brocolli was the next stake over. (far left)
Sheeesh, I took a picture of the wrong row. Unfortunately, the brocolli is slow growing in comparison.

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
Beautiful garden! Thanks so much for sharing. And Caesar is a little cutie-pie :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was getting worried about my green tomatoes. Zone 3 here also. I planted melons from seed last year and they didn't ripen in time. This year I planted them as plants that I bought at the nursery and they all died. My winter squash are the size of large marbles. Is there some secret to these?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts