mosquitos

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by rickochet, Oct 29, 2004.

1. rickochet

rickochet Member

As I said before I'm new, went to check feeder for hogs. I have 2 12 week old now with 2 from same litter coming next week. As I walked into pen, being in shorts and a tank top. I was immediately attacked by LARGE mosquitos. While swatting them I noticed ample blood. I'm feeding them medicated pellets for them still which was recommended by co-op til 80 lbs. As said in previous posts my pen is 16' by 32' on ground. So half is now muddy and wet. Are mosquitos something I need to control? And will they be a problem to the pigs? Knowing they have a thick hide, I was still surprised by the amount of blood in the 1 I swatted on my arm. I've been told by neighbors that the skeeters are larger then usual this year and the worst they've been all summer here in Ar. and do I need to be concerned? Please advise. Thank you, Rick,ps 14 bites in less then 3 min.(I was in and out!)

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Hogs have lived with the worst of mosquitoes and not shown any ill effects, but having mud to coat themselves is most likely why. I could see where newborn pigs might get ate up so to speak.

3. rickochet

rickochet Member

sir,thankyou for your reply.I guess sometimes the obvious is the least obvious.the mud issue was staring me right in the face.How i missed it I'll never know.Dont you love it when "common sense" just jumps right out the window?Thanks for the wake up.Until the next time,take care,rick

4. dla

dla Well-Known Member

Can you get some chickens in there?
    We have been very pleased with the effect of the chickens on bugs in general around here.
    We used to feed mosquito larvae to our fish, but I guess you couldn't throw a guppy or two in there, now could you? :)
    At any rate, you might be able to cut them off at the source after a few weeks (I don't think chickens will catch the adult mosquitoes!)

Around here, by this time of year, the mosquitoes are about gone anyway, but I'll bet Arkansas is warmer than we are.

Enjoy your piggies! We have been surprised how much we like having them.