Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Surely someone here has an easy way to fix this problem. Mosquitoes are terrible this year, but for some reason the garden is absolutely swamped with them. They seem to be congregated underneath all the leaves of everything and the swarm you the second you step within 2 feet of the place, which makes it a little diffecult to pick my lovely cucumbers, tomatoes, and cantelopes.

Help.

·
Premium Member
1,812 Posts
I noticed they were bad in my garden too..BUT I figured it might be more due to the fact that we have had more rain than usual here in my state just as your state has too.. I seen lots of people planting marigolds around their gardens to deal with bugs..

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
As I see it there are a few options.

1 Lots of DEET repellent

2 A thermal fogger

3 Tempo WP insecticide

4 Bug lights a short distance away to lure them to their death

5 Come to my area of Kansas and gather lots of the frogs and toads that I see on the roadways daily.

·
Anchorite Gardener
194 Posts
You can get plans on the internet on how to build bat houses. seriously.

Those lovely insects DO eat mosquitoes but I don't know how to encourage them to stick around. :)

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
belladulcinea said:
Windy, can you pack a few up and send them my way? :)
That shouldn't be hard to do as the surface of some roadways almost seems to shift as you drive into the area.

I was really surprised at how fast the little guys and gals can hop. They move right along. Also amazed at the many decorative patterns on their skin. Not the normal toads and frogs that we typically see. Most that I typically see don't even have patterns, just different colors. Not this year.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I purchased the Off Latern and set it in the garden while I'm working. We have a creek nearby with lots of mosquitoes and the Latern works the best! It's pricey so try to get it on sale and use coupons. Around here the latern is usually $7.99-$9.99, refills $5.49-$5.79. I was able to get laterns for 60% off, had b1g1 coupons and refills 60% off and used $2.00 coupons. I've tried the plants, sprays and we have bats, but the latern works the best for me while I'm in the garden.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
I stay bite free (though with our 100 year drought have less mosq than usual) when I wear my solar mosqu repeller- google solar mosquito maybe gaiam where I got it for $10 or so. Have a dozen to adorn guests/family. BTW only need it night/evening early am here- few (but some- imported 'TIger' mosq sighted here by us and experts) mosq out in full daylight. Also think they can't find us so easily in full heat of day.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
BTW sometimes I put one at face/neck, second one waist or ankle level- did so at our July 4th sit on grass fireworks- 2 each family member except the short one. Store them on windowsill to recharge between uses.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Mosquitos eat nectar, which is why they are in your garden. They breed in still water, so if you have puddles in your garden you are setting up a maternity ward.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Maura said:
Mosquitos eat nectar, which is why they are in your garden. They breed in still water, so if you have puddles in your garden you are setting up a maternity ward.
I did'nt know they eat nectar, I thought blood was their only food supply. The best thing I have ever used for skeeters is a "THERMACELL". Works when Im hunting. I would think they would work in a garden if you don't move around much. Everyone I've talked to that uses them say the samething. http://www.thermacell.net/ :bouncy:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts