Mosquito problem

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Meg Z, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

What can I use, either on my rabbits, or around their cages, to discourage mosquitoes? They were bad enough during the summer, but now that it's cooled off a bit, it's dreadful out there! I started clipping a rabbit today (I have Angoras) but stopped, because the mosquitoes were zooming in on the one clipped patch while I was still working on her! She's going to have a miserable night, because I was afraid to put anything on her.

The rabbit barn is connected to the chicken house, so any chemicals suggested must be safe for both animals.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Meg :)

2. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

I wouldn't recommend putting anything on her, since rabbits groom themselves just like cats. Don't know what to tell you other than to suggest enclosing your rabbitry with mosquito netting, which is often necessary in areas prone to Myxomatosis.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/

3. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Pat,

Thanks.
    The constant grooming does limit the possibilities, doesn't it? I hadn't thought of netting, and while it wouldn't be practical for the whole place, I certainly could protect freshly clipped rabbits until they grow their coat back a bit. Their ears are still targets, but that's better than the whole rabbit!

Thanks again,
    Meg :)