Mosquito Killer

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Zuiko, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Zuiko

Zuiko Well-Known Member

I assume you all deal with them, here in minnesota, were famous for them. We just tried spraying misquito-b-gone made by ortho. It was just a few days ago and it seems to work so far, although it is $10/bottle and is only supposed to cover 950 sq ft, and is only supposed to last 4 weeks (I cheated and sprayed a bigger area). What have you tried that did or did not work?

2. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried the Mosquito Dunks?

3. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

The mosquitoes are so big here in the Minnesota Central Lakes area that I just load my shotgun with #9 shells and fire away.

4. jfhunt

jfhunt Guest

When the mosquitos are really bitin' here I have a special drink I use. I just have 6 or 8 shots of single-malt scotch. They stop bitin' then - or maybe I just can't feel'em!!

5. So, do those propane-powered mosquito traps work?

--->Paul

6. Zuiko

Zuiko Well-Known Member

My dad just bought one of those foggers, the handheld ones you walk around with. It works okay except that it only lasts a few hours, maybe a day, you get all summers worth of bites when you use it (it brings them up from the grass), and it stinks. When I work on a building, i.e. I am pulling a little one down, I use that, wait 15 minutes, and then its not bad. We are considering getting one of those standup ones that uses the 5 gallon lp tanks. It only says 1/2 acre, but it could be moved to wherever we need it, depending on how well it does work. BTW, misquito-b-gon area has misquitos again, not as bad as other areas but i think its wearing off, and we havent had much rain since we put it on.

7. stirfamily

stirfamily Well-Known Member Supporter

We use mosquito dunks in our rain barrels and drainage ditches. They work great and don't harm fish or birds. Watch where you buy them though, I've seen packages of 6 priced anywhere from $7.00 to $13.00!

Karen in NE Indiana

8. My understanding of the propane mosquito traps is they do not work that way....

They need to be turned on, left on, & will clear an area over a period of time - measured in weeks, not hours. I don't think you will get good results by moving it to an area & trying to go there in a day or 2. Better to start it early in the season, and keep down the local population, catching the starys the blow in & rehatch....

I'm curious if they work at all. Some say no, but I wonder if they are expecting instant results from them or portability? I'd just like to control the acre around the house & buildings.

--->Paul

9. Zuiko

Zuiko Well-Known Member

I was thinking they work like a person, where they give off heat and co2, then the misquitos would go 'bite' it instead of me. We will still probably try one. We could also put misquito dunks into our "lake" (man made lake designed for pig poop) Its across the property, but it still might help some, I think most of ours live in the grass, or thats where they come from when you mow, they must lay their eggs somewhere though...

10. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Out in Colorado desert there are mosquitoes that lay eggs on the grass. All they need is one good rain to hatch and grow.

11. As I try to read up on hands-on experience with the propane traps: The mosquitoes will like _you_ a lot better than the trap; but left to run, they will go to check the trap & be sucked in, you need to empty it every so often. The traps slowly - slowly - clear an area of new breeding bugs, and so the number of mosquitoes decreases in the area. When you stay in that area, there are far fewer mosquitoes. But it takes time for the trap to decrease the population to where you notice a difference. The skeets in the area will still like you a lot better than the artifical smell, so you are fair game....

--->Paul

12. Anataq

Anataq Well-Known Member

Alaska, Hahaha enough said.

-Ryan

Better to build in the right place, where there's a nice breeze most of the year. Other than that, good luck.

www.pawcreekhomestead.com