Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do morning glorys get into your garden? We had our first garden this year and it was over run by morning glorys. We never could get them all out. Where did they come from, there aren't any other morning glorys on the entire 5 acres.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Morning glories get in the garden the same way dandelions get in the yard. They're weeds. After fighting them for 12 years, I still haven't managed to eradicate them. I kept them out of the garden all summer, till about 2 weeks ago. Now they're blooming! Tenacious little buggers!

·
Registered
70 Posts
This is the first year that I noticed MG's in my veggie garden. I blamed it on the compost I spread out there because I also spread it over part of the yard and they are crawling around out in the middle of the yard as well.

·
Appalachian American
10,639 Posts
I'm not sure how they get there, but I can tell you how to get rid of them. All you have to do is find a profitable market for them, and a disease will come along and wipe them out. :rolleyes:

·
Black Cat Farm
1,357 Posts
Bindweed looks an awful lot like morning glories, but is much more evil. It has a root system that can go 30 deep and spreads... It can also send up new shoots from almost any part of the plant, so pull a shoot out, and more will grow from that massive root system. It doesn't like shade, so that can be one way to get rid of it, as long as it can't climb up out of the shade. I tried vinegar and salt on it, it laughed at me. I tried pulling it out over and over, and it just snorted. It grew through mulch nothing else would grow through. Sorry to sound so negative, but this stuff is everywhere here and I'm frantic to get rid of it. I'm to the point of considering Round Up... :help:

·
Tomato Lover
54 Posts
Don't bother with the Round Up, it won't kill it. Every year we have MG's or bindweed (I don't know what the difference is) on our cranberry bogs. I have personally hit it with Round Up for about 5 years running and it comes back every year. At least the flowers are pretty. :) But it is a PIA.

·
In Memoriam
14,801 Posts
As Tomakers mentioned, Roundup won't take care of bindweed. Bonide's Total WILL kill bindweed or at least stop it from advancing. I've been battling that stuff in a corner of my lot for years and finally slowed it down this year with the Bonide stuff. Next spring, full-scale war is planned to stop it as soon as it appears.

Martin

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Wind in Her Hair said:
deaconjim, you win the award for cracking me up this mornin' before my first cup of coffee! So very true.

For three years straight I have PURPOSELY planted Morning Glories (soaked and nicked the seeds -EVERYTHING!) on a trellis that covers our wellhead between the two cabins and every year, I get gorgeous blooms just about ready to burst open - about 24 hours before our first freeze! I have NEVER gotten the first Morning Glory flower to actually open up.

And out in the garden, I get the week spindly litle "morning glories" that twine everywhere they shouldn't be...figgers.

I give up. :shrug:
You could try growing 'Early Call' morning glories. They bloom earlier, but, alas, do not grow as tall as other m.g, about 5-6 feet at the most although they are bushier. The colors are very pretty, clear and pastel. I grow them in hanging baskets; they are beautiful grown that way.

·
Appalachian American
10,639 Posts
Phantomfyre said:
Bindweed looks an awful lot like morning glories, but is much more evil. It has a root system that can go 30 deep and spreads... It can also send up new shoots from almost any part of the plant, so pull a shoot out, and more will grow from that massive root system. It doesn't like shade, so that can be one way to get rid of it, as long as it can't climb up out of the shade. I tried vinegar and salt on it, it laughed at me. I tried pulling it out over and over, and it just snorted. It grew through mulch nothing else would grow through. Sorry to sound so negative, but this stuff is everywhere here and I'm frantic to get rid of it. I'm to the point of considering Round Up... :help:
Have you found a market for it yet? It works every time. :hobbyhors

Actually, there is a use for morning glory, but it's not legal. :nono:

·
Black Cat Farm
1,357 Posts
deaconjim said:
Have you found a market for it yet? It works every time. :hobbyhors
LOL, no. I wish! But it does make excellent mulch! Hmm, I wonder how much a cubic yard of "Diana's Organic Spaghetti Mulch" would sell for...?

Of course, if I try the Bonide Total that Martin suggested, I'll have to take out the "organic" claim. But frankly, at this point, I'm about game to try it. What good is an organic garden if everything is smothered by bindweed? It's easier to kill an established stand of poison ivy than this stuff! It's taking over the gardens, the lawn, the pasture, and I found some in the hay field... Look weeds, you can run amok in my lawn, but STAY OUT OF MY HAY!!! :hobbyhors

·
Tomato Lover
54 Posts
deaconjim said "Actually, there is a use for morning glory, but it's not legal."

I heard that when I was much younger, but I also heard it could make you awful sick.

I am a child of the sixties. :dance:

Tom

P.S. I think you would be risking your life if someone found out you sold this for mulch. At least you would be if it were me. I think I got it in my garden from a bag of leaves. :flame:

·
Banned
2,113 Posts
I fought morning glories where I used to live and I'm fighting them here. You can't get rid of them by pulling them out by the roots because, I swear, the roots go all the way to China!

If you're not against poison, I've had good luck with Crossbow. It's sometimes hard to find because not all places can sell it but I would think if you call around you could find it somewhere.

Whenever I see those seed packets of morning glory, I always wonder, "why?," although I guess the "domestic" kind isn't invasive like the wild kind.

Janis

·
Black Cat Farm
1,357 Posts
tomakers said:
I think you would be risking your life if someone found out you sold this for mulch. At least you would be if it were me. I think I got it in my garden from a bag of leaves. :flame:
Tom, in my experience with it, once you break off the vines, they wither and dry up too fast to root. I mulched the walkways in the veggie garden with it and it hasn't come back to life. (I do keep getting new shoots from the root system below the veggie garden, but NOT from the yanked out vines I mulched with.) Now, if those vines had already set seeds, that would be a WHOLE different story, and I would fully expect to find myself before the firing squad if I sold THAT for mulch! :lookout:

Bindweed vs. Morning Glories
-Bindweed is perennial with white or light pink flowers about an inch in diameter. The leaves are also smaller than MGs, about 1-2" in length. It self seeds AND spreads via its massive root system on an unending quest to take over the world...
-Morning Glories are annual and most often have blue, purple or magenta flowers, more than 2" in diameter with larger leaves, maybe 4-6" long. They can self-sow like mad, but are not perennial.

I do have a volunteer morning glory growing by the front door of the house. If I go out and yank it out right now, it will come out with its roots and it will die, and I will only see it there again if it has dropped seeds already (which is likely) and they germinate. Bindweed is a whole different animal...

·
Tomato Lover
54 Posts
Well I don't know. It looks like morning glory, but it is back in the same place this year and I don't think I ever gave it time to set seed last year. It could be worse, my DW thinks it's lovely. :rolleyes: :shrug:

·
Registered
634 Posts
I battle with bindweed too. The only way i can control it is to keep up on it when they are just getting started. The first two leaves are very distinctive, and easy to up root at that point. This year I have NONE in my garden, but every time I am out there I pull some up. Now other weeds I am not so vigilant with, lol.

If you have young children.... tell them you think the flowers are sooooo pretty and they will go out and pick them for you. At least they can't set seed that way :shrug:

Oh, and I'm not bragging about the weeds, my garden is very small this year (easy to maintain for a lazy person). Just please don't look at the seperate garden where the corn was planted. I swear it's a bindweed garden.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.