Morning Glories have no blossoms

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Linda Camello, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Linda Camello

Linda Camello Well-Known Member

I've planted morning glories this year and they've grown quite tall and are still growing up & up!! The leaves are a big and a nice green. I have them on a trellis and they've already surpassed that heighth. But....I don't see one blossom on them yet. Does anyone know why that is? I'm in central Ohio and I figured they'd be blooming by now! :waa:

2. Linda, are they heavenly blues? Mine have not bloomed yet this year either, and I notice that they are always later than the Grandpa Ott's and Flying Saucer's. My Scarlet O'Hera's have not bloomed yet either. I think our cooler temperatures this summer has also held them back. Hold tight........when they do the with be- well "Heavenly".

3. tara313134

tara313134 Member

There can be many reasons, one could be the soil. If there is too much nitrogen in the soil, that leads to excessive growth, but a delay in and/or little or no flowers from many different plants.

4. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I'm certain it's the cooler weather --- we're usually blistering hot July-August, but have only had a few days here and there of very hot weather. Today, in fact, there's even a little coolness on the breeze. :confused:

In any case, my morning glories are doing exactly the same thing. I get sporadic blooming (I have a combination of Heavenly blues, purples, cardinal flowers, nasturtiums and a few unidentified morning glories in that patch :D ) which is just enough to keep the hummingbirds hanging around. But not the great big wild and insane blast of color I'd anticipated.

I also have some other flowers which are just now blooming --- ??? Very unusual. It's happening all over the place here. So I'm certain it's the lack of consistent, very hot weather, and not the soil or seed batches or whatever.

5. diane

diane Well-Known Member

I was the "unregistered" and when I went back to edit it was when I discovered I wasn't logged in. Thus.......more than my usual typos. :eek:

I have also had other flowers be very late blooming this year. What happened to global warming?

6. Linda Camello

Linda Camello Well-Known Member

Well I guess it must be the weather too. Seems a lot of my flowers and other plants are just slow coming on this year. (And it didn't help with all the rain we had and I couldn't plant anything till late either!) Anyways.....I planted a mixture of morning glories and I see now they HAVE started blooming!!! But.....my morning glories on the other side are the red scarlett ones and I do not see any buds or blooms yet on them....but maybe they're slower coming compared to the regular glories. I guess I'll just have to be more patient. :( SO.....thank you all....you have answered my question. The one thing I did notice that I thought was unusual with my morning glories......the leaves are HUGE....and I mean HUGE.....I can barely see the little blossoms on them!! And they want to continue climbing up higher & higher! They seem to be more like "Linda and the bean stalk" !! LOL

7. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Everything actually seems early this year for us. We had pumpkins (actually winter squash that looks like pumpkins) in July. It is cold outside right now, in the Ozarks! 57 degrees! I went out to check on my duck and bought froze to death in my flip flops and shorts! Especially my toes, they got cold dew on them. I hope winter doesn't come early, I just planted a fall garden.