Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m thrilled to have found this site. My husband and I have fallen in love with the beauty of West Virginia and are in the early planning stages of transitioning from the fast lane to slow country living.

I’ve scanned through the vast amount of information here and can’t wait to have time to really dig my heels in and learn.

A few quick questions directly related to the SW region of West Virginia:

Can you hunt on your own land?

Do you have to apply for agricultural zoning to build barns and have animals?

Manufactured homes... I’ve seen many on Zillow with lots of land but my understanding is that the structure itself is not covered by homeowners insurance.

I welcome any and all input and apologize for the several questions. We’re investing our savings into our life change and want to be armed and ready to go!

·
Shazbot!
5,397 Posts
I’m thrilled to have found this site. My husband and I have fallen in love with the beauty of West Virginia and are in the early planning stages of transitioning from the fast lane to slow country living.

I’ve scanned through the vast amount of information here and can’t wait to have time to really dig my heels in and learn.

Are homes lower on the land prone to flooding from rains and melted snow?

Manufactured homes... I’ve seen many on Zillow with lots of land but my understanding is that the structure itself is not covered by homeowners insurance.

I welcome any and all input and apologize for the several questions. We’re investing our savings into our life change and want to be armed and ready to go!
I'm no help on your questions but hopefully someone will be along that can help.

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
Manufactured homes are covered by homeowners insurance.

google nerdwallet.com for lots of information.

Reactions: Team Honey Badger

·
Registered
16,257 Posts

As far as I know you can insure a manufactured home. You can here in Texas and the taxes are less also. Not sure about your state.

Welcome

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Talk to all of the utility companies that you will need to use, water or water well company, electric, sewer or septic company, propane or gas, storm shelter, etc. Often they have restrictions, requirements, right of ways deed over to them, or expenses that you best know before not later. Water wells and sewers often conflict with each other.
Check with the court house and your county commissioner to see about anything you can learn on county restrictions or requirements for things like the driveway meeting the road, how close you can build to the property lines.
Are you keeping things accessible for emergency service such as fire department? Narrow and poorly located gate, trees, etc on a drive can be a heartbreaker.
Check with your local utility digging locate company for any known utilities or right of ways on your property.
Try to get everything you can in writing, brochure, or something. The old you said versus I said problems later on are no fun.

Check with the title company your using for any restrictions, right of ways, easements, etc. You may have to read it or have a lawyer read it for you. Some rural acreages even have limits on the number of dogs or livestock allowed on it. Or some types of livestock prohibited completely. Or some types of use of the land is not allowed. No fowl, more than 3 dogs, or mobile homes allowed for instance. I am about 10 miles out of town and have all of the restrictions listed above due to the previous owners desires when he split up the large tract and sold it.

Good example is a couple of years ago I helped build a house out of the city limits, so no city inspections to build. Oops, when the homeowner notified the water department that they were ready for the water meter to be installed from the city owned water line they found out they were a fraction of a acre under a requirement for no city inspections.

Neighbor started building a pole barn a few feet to close to the property line and found out the hard way that he had to move it. The info was in the tittle plain as can be. He just never read it.

Do you REALLY know your LEGAL property boundaries ? If it has not been surveyed by a legal surveyor and marked then it real easy to have all kind of issues. Have the markers been moved, sometimes they have been and only a new survey will let you know? The forums are full of horror stories on this property boundary issue.

Now then keep in mind that there are probably going to be some unknown issues come up. Just keep on going. Hopefully you will find as many have before you that its all well worth it. Enjoy the rural life, lot of people never have the chance to. Congrats :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Talk to all of the utility companies that you will need to use, water or water well company, electric, sewer or septic company, propane or gas, storm shelter, etc. Often they have restrictions, requirements, right of ways deed over to them, or expenses that you best know before not later. Water wells and sewers often conflict with each other.
Check with the court house and your county commissioner to see about anything you can learn on county restrictions or requirements for things like the driveway meeting the road, how close you can build to the property lines.
Are you keeping things accessible for emergency service such as fire department? Narrow and poorly located gate, trees, etc on a drive can be a heartbreaker.
Check with your local utility digging locate company for any known utilities or right of ways on your property.
Try to get everything you can in writing, brochure, or something. The old you said versus I said problems later on are no fun.

Check with the title company your using for any restrictions, right of ways, easements, etc. You may have to read it or have a lawyer read it for you. Some rural acreages even have limits on the number of dogs or livestock allowed on it. Or some types of livestock prohibited completely. Or some types of use of the land is not allowed. No fowl, more than 3 dogs, or mobile homes allowed for instance. I am about 10 miles out of town and have all of the restrictions listed above due to the previous owners desires when he split up the large tract and sold it.

Good example is a couple of years ago I helped build a house out of the city limits, so no city inspections to build. Oops, when the homeowner notified the water department that they were ready for the water meter to be installed from the city owned water line they found out they were a fraction of a acre under a requirement for no city inspections.

Neighbor started building a pole barn a few feet to close to the property line and found out the hard way that he had to move it. The info was in the tittle plain as can be. He just never read it.

Do you REALLY know your LEGAL property boundaries ? If it has not been surveyed by a legal surveyor and marked then it real easy to have all kind of issues. Have the markers been moved, sometimes they have been and only a new survey will let you know? The forums are full of horror stories on this property boundary issue.

Now then keep in mind that there are probably going to be some unknown issues come up. Just keep on going. Hopefully you will find as many have before you that its all well worth it. Enjoy the rural life, lot of people never have the chance to. Congrats :)
Thank you! Many things I would never have thought of.

I’m very appreciative of you taking the time to reply.

Amanda

1 - 9 of 9 Posts