Moringa Oleifera - Miracle tree

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by moopups, Apr 5, 2005.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    http://peacecorps.mtu.edu/moringa.htm Check out this tree, the leaves are edible, the pods are edible, the bark assists digestion, the roots aid in other disorders, animals can eat it, it grows up to 4 yards per year in sandy dry acid soil. Called a 'miracle tree' in parts of the world, all parts of it are useable, even the oil in the pods can add nutrition. We bought seeds at an organization called Church World something, near Bradenton Florida, they are on the net. Even mulch is made better by it; it has more vitamens and minerals than common everyday foods in a gram by gram basis.

My 5 seeds are going to be planted this afternoon. Put the name into google, the Church World something is on the first page.

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Reading further I have found that the tree leaves are usefull as to replace alum as a substance to purify tainted drinking water. The tree is treated like a fig, that is to trim it back so the tree will branch out and stay shorter, makeing it easier to access the fruit pods.

3. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Sigh. A warm climate tree :waa:

4. Daryll in NW FLA

Daryll in NW FLA Well-Known Member

Yes, Sue ,you are right-started out with 6 seeds 3 years ago have one left. Can't take any freeze ,instant death. I'm in zone 8 and thought-hey they might make it---WRONG. The only one to survive is a house plant. They do grow fast,grew probably 5 1/2 feet the first year.

5. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

This is the tree my Peace Corps Kid has been told to introduce where she is stationed in The Gambia. I wonder about it's invasive potential. Even something that's good can be too much for an ecosytem.
    Meg