Morental Tartrate?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by cricket, Jul 25, 2005.

1. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

Anyone have any experience with this? How effective?

2. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

What is it and what is it used for?

3. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

4. Eveningstar

Eveningstar Active Member

I saw this at TSC. I was going to purchase it but ended up not. I like the fact that there is no withdrawl time on it but have never heard the effectiveness of it.

5. larellynm

larellynm Active Member

hello

I am new to goats and bought the same stuff at our local feed store. I have been waiting to see what experienced people have to say about the stuff before I give it to my goats. this post has been up a while and still nothing... I decided to find out what the internet says about it and found that it is mainly for round worms and very safe for goats, not a lot of info out there otherwise. I am still hoping to find out if any experienced goaters have had any problems with it.
    thanks for your help,
    Larellyn

6. Nancy_in_GA

Nancy_in_GA Well-Known Member

Hi Cricket,
    Morantel Tartrate (Rumatel pellets) was very effective based on the reduction in the worm egg counts showing up in fecals when we tried it. But the pellets are a lot of trouble if you have more than a few goats, because you have to make sure each goat eats a minimum amount of pellets. Most of our goats liked them, but if one refuses to eat it, you are up the creek. It doesn't kill tapeworms or lungworms.

If you're going to try it, get the more concentrated form (4.45g MT/lb). It works out to be about the same cost per goat either way, but you only have to trick the goat into eating a couple of ounces of the concentrated form, versus a scoopful of the other. The instructions are on the package.

Here is a picture of the package, just to make sure we are both talking about the same thing:

http://www.durvet.com/I_thumb/163_I1.jpg

We have 14 goats and decided it was just too much trouble to get them all to eat the right amount.

Hope this info helps,

Nancy
    Northeast Georgia