Morels

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mike in Pa, May 2, 2005.

1. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

I'm suprised no one's talking Morels. It's that time of year you know! Figured people would be either bragging or crying by now!

I found a small patch the other day.

2. electronrider

electronrider Well-Known Member

I have been out 4 times in the past two weeks here in indiana, found a nice mess each time. The early greys are up and goin strong, the yellows are just getting ready to start. Been kinda funny with the weather, we'll see how the rest of the season plays out ;)

3. Mike in Pa

We're having crab stuffed morels today. We dehydrated a few and froze a few.

I also picked a couple Pheasant-Backed Polypore (fairly abundant here) and plan to try those tomorrow, sauteed.

4. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

We had snow today.

5. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Heya MB,

Been a real grab bag today huh? We had snow, sleet, rain, and when the sun was out it was about 50ish... Gotta love the great NE Ohio!

6. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

We had morels a plenty back in Kentucky, but I've never heard whether there be any morels this far north.

I did see a false morel once when I was out and about with a fellow making salt licks for deer, bear, and such.

7. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

I don't normally wear a coat, so today was no exception...I left the house wearing capri pants, sandals and a short-sleeved shirt. It was snowing by the time I reached Akron (10 miles from here). On the way home, there was hail, then sunshine, and rain and more hail when I got back home. UGH...Why do I keep trying to convince hubby that Ohio weather is great? He sometimes dreams of moving to somehwere warmer. It would be nice for the gardening aspect, but I think I would miss all of this freaky weather!

8. Marchwind

Marchwind Fiber Arts forum Mod. Supporter

Southwest Michigan by way of the Northwoods of MN
    Haggis we have Morels up here. You can find them by the bucket load if you know where to look. Don't bother asking anyone cause they don't tell.

9. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Marchwind, when do they start appearing?

10. electronrider

electronrider Well-Known Member

I grew up in the upper penninsula of michigan, and we would start looking around mothers day. Never did find a lot of big yellow's up there, but always found nice grey's.

11. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Hi Mike! :D
    We went out a couple of weeks ago and got quite a few. The season is over for us. I've dried enough to get me by for awhile though. :)

12. babetteq

babetteq Well-Known Member

:waa: I moved up north a year ago. when I was down south, summer before last i picked 16 lbs of morels. They were everywhere! I never saw such a show of them before. I still have a couple dried left, but when theyr'e gone, they're gone. Up here there are no morels. However, there are pine mushrooms and chantrells... I just need to find the good spots.

babs
    missing fresh morells

13. mtmama

mtmama Well-Known Member

The morel season has just started here. We went out this weekend and picked about a gallon at our favorite spot. It's one of the lowest in elevation that we pick. Checked the ones that were higher up and they aren't up yet. The children are really looking forward to the corals which show up about two - three weeks after the morels start.

14. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

Hey,
    my friend and I found the motherload. They were huge. You could put three peoples arm were the size. No joke. Sherry took pictures. They were found no where the book said they were to be found.. We did find them on the north side of a hill. Would you believe in a cow pasture? Biggest morels. We should have weighed those but we were just excited to find them. We had been hiking for an hour. We went down to the waterfalls and just had came back out.Then, we found those. They were good. Sherry froze the biggest one.
    tnborn

15. Natureschild

Natureschild Well-Known Member

16. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

17. GR8LIFE

GR8LIFE Well-Known Member

I was just reading an article in Countryside about gathering mushrooms and I would love to do it but I don't have anyone to show me. I'm thinking of getting a book to help me identify them but that would still make me nervous if I didn't have anyone with me to show me. But the article made me wonder if there are any mushrooms that don't look like any other bad mushrooms so that I would be safe to pick those. Can anybody tell me if there is a unique mushroom that is safe and you can't confuse it with a bad one? Then I could at least pick that kind until I became more knowledgeable.
    Colleen

18. poppy

poppy Guest

Colleen, just look at the above pictire. They come in yellow, gray, white, and black. Pick them in the spring. No poison ones grow in the spring and look just like these, at least not in our area.

19. diane greene

diane greene Well-Known Member

I think the best two books are :

National Audubon Society Field Guide to Mushrooms
    &
    Edible Wild Mushrooms of North America: A field to kitchen guide
    by David W. Fischer

If I find a mushroom I think is edible, I first try to find it in the Fischer book. If I think I see it there I check the Audubon guide for look-a-likes. You might have a mushroom club in your area - ask your local cooperative extension.

Easiest edible mushrooms to ID are chantrelles. They smell like apricots or dried fruit. Only look-a-like is the Jack O'Lantern, and unlike chantrelles the JO'L grows directly out of wood in clumps and literally glows in the dark. Chantrelles grow up out of leaf mulch and tend to grown in patches, but not connected.

20. Mike in Pa

you do it all don't you cowgirlone ... from shrimp to shrooms!

I'm going to start looking more seriously around here. There's got to be more than this.

Also, for those who don't know, don't forget to leave a few to repopulate. I'm guessing if they've already shot they're load (hole in the top) they've done all they can do anyway and no need to spare any.