morels

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by doc623, Apr 22, 2005.

1. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

Morel recipes please.

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

This is simple! Wash the morels and then them into halves or quarters (depending on size).

Saute some fresh garlic in butter, then dump in the morel pieces and continue to saute. Do not cook too long.

That's it.

3. GRHE

GRHE Mountain Ogre

My absolute favorite is to do what Cabin Fever says, then set them aside. Start to scramble some eggs and dump them in. Yes, the garlic does go well with the eggs and helps marry the mushroom flavor in. Absolutely wonderful stuff, I especially like it with my fresh duck eggs, which are a bit richer than the chicken eggs. My mom and dad, who have always deep-fried morels turned pale when they saw what I was doing, took a couple of very hesitant bites, then gobbled them down!

They also work very well in a wine sauce, server over beef, or in soups or spaghetti sauce, but I only do that for slow cooking dishes so that the flavor can come out and spread through the dish. This work very well for using dried mushrooms that you are re-hydrating.

If you have some large enough ones, stuffed/baked ones are excellent as well. I have used fresh or canned salmon, crabmeat, shrimp, or ground chicken, mixed with egg and breading as you might to make a meatloaf or salmon burger. Push this mixture into large caps. Paint the caps with olive oil to keep them from burning. Place the stuffed mushrooms on a cookie and bake until the filling is done, brush with oil if the caps look like they are drying out too fast. Very good stuff.

4. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

What ever you do don't eat them.Some are Poisonous and will kill you.PM me I will send you my Addy,send all to me I will check them out for you. :p :haha:

big rockpile

5. mtnmom208

mtnmom208 Well-Known Member

Morels are great in any way but raw. Sauteed with butter and garlic is my favorite, hubby loves scrambled eggs or omlettes with morels and white cheese. Morels will be up any day here, I plan to try a cream of mushroom soup this year.
    Note: I always soak them for a few hours in a fairly strong salt-water. It makes all of the little bugs crawl out of the holes. Just rinse in cold water to take out the salt.

6. diane

diane Well-Known Member

We don't even use the garlic.........just real butter. Cut in half, wash, soak in salt water to encourage the critters to leave, drain and sautee in butter. A week to 10 days here and we will take to the woods in earnest. We bought this specific piece of land of all the land we looked at because it looked like the best 40 acres of mushroom land we could find.........and it is. Only trouble we have is with the stinking poachers. Live in town but think they can just go out onto someone else's clearly posted land and hunt mushrooms. :soap:

7. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Morels will be up any day here, I plan to try a cream of mushroom soup this year.

Excellent idea!

Last year I made a cream soup using morels and fresh asparagus ... it was to die for! :p

8. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Chicken with Morels
    From "Prairie Home Cooking"

1 cup fresh Morels
    4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    4 tbsp unsalted butter
    1 medium yellow onion, chopped
    1/2 tsp garlic salt
    1/2 tsp liquid Maggi seasoning (?)
    1 dash tabasco
    1/3 tsp dried thyme
    1/4 cup canned tomato puree
    1 cup chicken stock
    Pepper to taste
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    chopped parsley for garnish

Soak fresh morels in salted water to cover 30 minutes to remove debris. Rinse, pat dry, and cut in half.
    Flatten chicken breasts slightly, dredge them in the flour and set aside.
    Saute the onion in the butter over meduim heat, for 6 to 8 minutes. Add the chicken breasts, saute them until lightly browned, about 3 minutes on each side.
    Stir in the morels, garlic salt, Maggi, hot pepper sauce, thyme, tomato puree, and chicken stock. Bring to boil over meduim heat, simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, or until sauce has thickened slightly. Season with pepper, stir in lemon juice, garnish with parsley, serve.

I just got this book, love it, but I never knew what morels were, now I know!

9. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Speaking of morels and asparagus, here is the other recipe in my book.

Ragout of Morels and Asparagus

1 tbsp unsalted butter
    1/4 lb fresh Morels, rinsed well
    1 tbsp minced green onion, white and green parts. (I just aby chives)
    2 tbsp dry white wine
    1/3 cup heavy cream
    16 thin asparagus spears, tough ends removed
    salt and white pepper to taste
    4 slices of good quality bread, toasted, or 4 prebaked puff pastry shells
    chopped parsley for garnish

Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the morels and the green onion and saute them until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Increase the heat to high, add the wine, and deglaze the pan, stirring up and browned bits from the bottom. Add the cream, bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
    Cut off the tips of the asparagus and set them aside. Chop the rest of the spear unto 1 inch peices, and add them to the morel mix, and simmer 5 minutes more, or until asparagus is tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper, spoon the ragout over the toast, garnish and serve.

10. GRHE

GRHE Mountain Ogre

You guys, soaking all the creepy crawlies out, all that good protien your wasting. You probable make sure you get all the dirt off too an lose all that fine grit and fiber :eek: . Just not the same without at least one sauted slug each spring :haha: .