Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody been finding morels in SW virginia latley? I found one really small one three weeks ago up in the mountains but i've been tied up and haven't got to go hunting since. Are they growing well this year? What's the news?

·
Registered
118 Posts
well i aint in the sw part of va but have been getting several in page county but not as good as some years and also seem to be a little later coming in

·
Registered
59 Posts
I live in Virginia and have been giving some thought to seeing if I could raise some wild mushrooms on my property in the woods on the back end. Do either of you have any advice on how to go about it and how to get spores and what environment they need to have?
Colleen

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Colleen,

Although I've never actually had success with this myself, I've have heard of folks who take the dirty water from when they clean the mushrooms and deposit it back in the soil somewhere. I read someplace that it takes about five years of doing this to start a "mycellium" network underground. This is for Morels. I guess the best place to do this would be a compost pile or somewhere with the right conditions for mushrooms. Good luck!

·
Registered
59 Posts
That is an interesting method. I have to admit I would have never thought of that. I'll do some research to see what the best environment is and then try it. I do have a lot of patience. It's kind of liking fruit trees. You plant them and then have to wait although at least with a fruit tree you can tell when your getting closer to production. :haha: Thanks for the info.
Colleen

1 - 5 of 5 Posts