Homesteading Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Energy tax credit. The IRS website hasn't been updated since the passage of the tax relief act so this information is a little out of date.

Here’s some updated info regarding the rebate reflecting the changes after the passage of the “Inflation Reduction Act”. Looks like the rebate is now 30%.

September 2022 UPDATE:
With the August 16, 2022, signing of the Inflation Reduction Act (IRA), high-efficiency biomass heating products once again qualify for a tax credit under Section 25(C) of the Internal Revenue Code (“IRC” or “tax code”). This new 30 percent tax credit – capped at $2,000 annually – is available for appliances installed between January 1, 2023, and December 31, 2032.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Wow, I just had a look at new wood stoves, inspired by this thread. Looks like the base models start at $3,000 and go up and up from there. Poor people couldn't get rid of their wood stoves fast enough with the convenience of coal, kerosene, then electricity. Now they'll never get them back.
My first wood stove, used these past 12 years, cost me $150 and an afternoon with my stepfather, assembling the pipe and sliding it down the existing chimney. My new Grandma Bear which will go in the farm house to the front of my property was free. I went in a fireplace store in Raleigh a few months ago. Anecdotal, but the salesman there was the slimiest con-artist I'd seen outside of presidential speeches.

edit: Expect lots more propaganda like the link below in the coming years:
Wood-burning Stoves Raise New Health Concerns
From the link:
For many air quality regulators and advocates, tweaking wood stove emissions is missing the point. Though reducing emissions in the short term can be beneficial, a longer-term solution would phase out wood stoves altogether, said Laura Kate Bender, the national assistant vice president for healthy air at the American Lung Association.
“Right now, what the science shows us is that there’s actually no safe level of particle pollution exposure,” Bender said. “There’s no amount that’s healthy to breathe.”

Reactions: Texas23

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
We stopped by a store's grand opening 2 years ago just killing time and curiosity and got a dose of sticker shock. Then the fall inventory of stoves arrived at TSC and the local farm stores and it was a "wow" moment.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
The stove below was bought by a guy for $400 who has had it with high electric bills.
I had a Franklin stove just like it when I was much younger. Bifold doors, very leaky and unpredictable and innefficient.
This may seem like a good alternative to rising utility costs, and maybe for some you gotta go with what you can afford.

Gas Font Asphalt Cylinder Output device

·
Registered
I'm on lifetime homesteading project number 5, all in Indiana and Michigan.
166 Posts
Here’s some updated info regarding the rebate reflecting the changes after the passage of the “Inflation Reduction Act”. Looks like the rebate is now 30%.

September 2022 UPDATE:
With the August 16, 2022, signing of the Inflation Reduction Act (IRA), high-efficiency biomass heating products once again qualify for a tax credit under Section 25(C) of the Internal Revenue Code (“IRC” or “tax code”). This new 30 percent tax credit – capped at $2,000 annually – is available for appliances installed between January 1, 2023, and December 31, 2032.
Gotta be nuts to go for that, IMHO.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Wow, I just had a look at new wood stoves, inspired by this thread. Looks like the base models start at $3,000 and go up and up from there. Poor people couldn't get rid of their wood stoves fast enough with the convenience of coal, kerosene, then electricity. Now they'll never get them back.
My first wood stove, used these past 12 years, cost me $150 and an afternoon with my stepfather, assembling the pipe and sliding it down the existing chimney. My new Grandma Bear which will go in the farm house to the front of my property was free. I went in a fireplace store in Raleigh a few months ago. Anecdotal, but the salesman there was the slimiest con-artist I'd seen outside of presidential speeches.

From the link:
For many air quality regulators and advocates, tweaking wood stove emissions is missing the point. Though reducing emissions in the short term can be beneficial, a longer-term solution would phase out wood stoves altogether, said Laura Kate Bender, the national assistant vice president for healthy air at the American Lung Association.
“Right now, what the science shows us is that there’s actually no safe level of particle pollution exposure,” Bender said. “There’s no amount that’s healthy to breathe.”
". . . there's actually no safe level of particle pollution exposure. . . " They gave it all away right there. How are we going to reach that pinnacle of human achievement? And besides, isn't that why we have hairs in our noses?

·
Registered
166 Posts
It's no different than registering a firearm. When you sign up, it's fine. It's later on when some official decides it's a good idea to release the names, or the list is hacked that there's a problem. If you trust public officials to have your best interests in mind, then go ahead and get the check. As others have said, it's never one way. It's always a transaction. Just be aware of what you're giving away. You're free to choose.

591 Posts
Whenever I hear someone use the words concerns or concern I get suspicious.

It seems these are a favorite for administrators trying to steer things in their direction.

I cannot think of a good time when someone has used these words, but I can recall a slew of times when these words have been used. (it sounds so official like :( )

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Have not lived in NM in around a quarter of a century, but back then Albuquerque regularly had no burn nights. Sometimes no burn weeks. When you have a large population saving money by using wood stoves, the air can get downright nasty.

But back then there was set of standards set by the EPA. If your stove met those standards you could burn on no burn nights.

On the Navajo rez, wood heat correlated strongly with lung diseases. I don't do well either if I load the stove or clean out the ashes, but dh does that and I do fine. YMMV.

Some restrictions are sensible. Trick is to confine them to that sensible level. If they ban all woodstoves, I suppose we have to do more work on our passive solar capabilities, maybe then consider active solar and wind.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Society has made it its mission to eliminate death; in the event death cannot be removed, then it will be for the powers that be to fashion our lives in a way that we can choose the manner in which we die.
And if they cannot cure a disease, they can surely tax the causes.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
No question that smoking and poor ventilation lead to lung disease. But even allowing for that, homes heated with wood, outdoor furnaces excepted, tend to produce more lung disease. Particulate is particulate.

Same as living in the dust bowl gave lung disease.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts