Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been trying for five years to find someone who will install a woodstove. We just got a guy to come out and take a look and he says that a new federal law says that no stove manufactured before May 2020 can be installed. I looked it up and that is close but not quite. The emissions allowed from a wood stove have been cut in half and it is somewhat unlikely that any older stove can meet the emissions qualifications.

I still don't have a contract and the wood stove is not installed yet, so I am being guarded with my optimism. This guy at least showed up where most of them can't be bothered to even return phone calls. He offered to install the stove pipe but not install our stove. That would work fine. It's not big deal to hook a stove up to an existing stove pipe.

That's a federal law, by the way, not local.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I would suggest getting a stove installed (a cheap one) then after it's all done and inspected and the homeowners insurance company is satisfied you could just put whatever else you want to in its place later down the line.
It having the stovepipe installed and doing the rest yourself is a good idea too if you don't need permit and inspection for the stove

·
zone 5 - riverfrontage
7,349 Posts
My wife uses a Kitchen Queen 480 cook stove, and our primary heat source is a two-barrel Vogelzang. Our home insurance had no problem with either of our woodstoves. Their only concern was clearances. In our home, the nearest wall to either wood stove is 20-foot of clearance.

·
Registered
7,445 Posts
I wonder if that applies to bringing an old stove pipe up to code before sale... I'm going to need to know. They like to get funny about things like that.

·
zone 5 - riverfrontage
7,349 Posts
How difficult of an install would it be?
Would the pipe run the the wall or roof? Main floor?
My installs have been very easy.

Our house is a steel building. 40-foot wide by 60-foot long. Both of our woodstoves sit on the center-line of the building, so the nearest wall to either of them is 20-foot away.

Our stovepipe 'thimbles' punch through a steel roof. Steel in contact with steel.

·
Registered
I'm on lifetime homesteading project number 5, all in Indiana and Michigan.
165 Posts
Keep in mind if your buying a NEW highly efficient wood stove there‘s a tax credit available. 26% of purchase price.
The only problem there is that the agency that credits you will have GPS location on it. They might have to inspect before they send the check. When they decide you can't have it anymore, one of those new 87,000 agents will come a knockin. They'll be looking around the rest of the place, too.

·
zone 5 - riverfrontage
7,349 Posts
The only problem there is that the agency that credits you will have GPS location on it. They might have to inspect before they send the check. When they decide you can't have it anymore, one of those new 87,000 agents will come a knockin. They'll be looking around the rest of the place, too.
How did the IRS get into this?

·
Registered
61 Posts
How did the IRS get into this?
🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ I was wondering the same thing 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Orchardsmith- If you’re on the internet and posting here, your OPSPEC is already blown and you’re on the list GPS coordinates included. They’re gonna be coming and a knocking..

·
Registered
I'm on lifetime homesteading project number 5, all in Indiana and Michigan.
165 Posts
🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ I was wondering the same thing 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Orchardsmith- If you’re on the internet and posting here, your OPSPEC is already blown and you’re on the list GPS coordinates included. They’re gonna be coming and a knocking..
My point still stands, and I hear you. I also don't recommend it.

·
Premium Member
34,483 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
The forum at firewoodhoardersclub had a thread I clicked into today which is apropos:
These clean air campaigners are calling for wood-burning stoves to be banned
The U.K. is ahead of the states in the same way that California is ahead of the rest of our country. The last few years proved that a world government is not a concept, but a working plan. It is tough enough to insure a house with a wood-burning stove that most people won't bother. New homes are tight, exposed, chimneyless, and defenseless in a power-out. Increasingly strict emissions requirements stifle wood stoves the same way they do cars or houses. Why do "the feds" get to tell people how they may heat themselves? In the end, it has nothing to do with the environment; it is one more facet of the long-running assault against self-sufficiency. We are surrounded by wood in all of its forms, it's God's gift to mankind. The things one can do with it are endless, but they include producing heat to both cook and stay alive. Orchardsmith is right, people are not given "freebies" by the feds, it is always a transaction, where one party trades his liberties for paper notes.

·
Premium Member
34,483 Posts
I didn't get to read much of the article before the cookie agreement popped up and blocked it. All I can say is that if wood smoke is coming into her home through the windows and doors, she needs windows and doors that seal better. If one of my neighbors is burning trash I don't smell it if my windows and doors are closed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have been trying for five years to find someone who will install a woodstove. We just got a guy to come out and take a look and he says that a new federal law says that no stove manufactured before May 2020 can be installed. I looked it up and that is close but not quite. The emissions allowed from a wood stove have been cut in half and it is somewhat unlikely that any older stove can meet the emissions qualifications.

I still don't have a contract and the wood stove is not installed yet, so I am being guarded with my optimism. This guy at least showed up where most of them can't be bothered to even return phone calls. He offered to install the stove pipe but not install our stove. That would work fine. It's not big deal to hook a stove up to an existing stove pipe.

That's a federal law, by the way, not local.
I had the same problem getting my wood stove installed in Colorado. I called a Chimney Sweep company and they installed it with no problems.

·
Premium Member
7,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How difficult of an install would it be?
Would the pipe run the the wall or roof? Main floor?
Difficult install. Two story house with a steep roof. We want the stove pipe to go up through the room above and the installer is going to have to get way up there on the roof to do the part above the roof.

We looked into buying a brand new stove if that is what it took because the stove company has their own installer who only works for them. New wood stove is $4,800-$6,000 for a sheet metal stove with a small firebox, plus another $5,00 or so for the install. I want the stove we brought with us. It is nearly new Jotel cast iron, double door, huge fire box that will take a decent size log. Jotel no longer makes the large stove, and it looks like nobody else does either. The only cast iron stoves I've seen are tiny tiny little thing that would be relatively useless for heating a house since it would only hold itty bitty firewood that would be burned up quickly.

The stove I've got has all of its EPA certifications except it hasn't been certified after 2022. Also have an older stove that is pre-certification that is a marvelous stove, but I'm not sure what we are going to do with it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts