More state lawsuits against manufacturers of OxyContin

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Irish Pixie, May 16, 2018 at 8:19 AM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

They allege that the addictive nature of opioids were suppressed deliberately.

"Litigation against OxyContin maker Purdue Pharma LP is intensifying as six more U.S. states on Tuesday announced lawsuits, accusing the company of fueling a national opioid epidemic by deceptively marketing its prescription painkillers to generate billions of dollars in sales.

U.S. state attorneys general of Nevada, Texas, Florida, North Carolina, North Dakota and Tennessee also said Purdue Pharma violated state consumer protection laws by falsely denying or downplaying the addiction risk while overstating the benefits of opioids.

"It's time the defendants pay for the pain and the destruction they've caused," Florida State Attorney General Pam Bondi told a press conference."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/u...purdue-pharma-over-opioid-epidemic/ar-AAxkpwQ

2. HDRider

HDRider Well-Known Member

They should stop making them.

3. HeavyHauler

HeavyHauler Well-Known Member

And replace them with what, to chronic pain patients?

4. Irish Pixie

Exactly. There isn't an easy solution to this problem, but I think Purdue Pharma is partially responsible for compensation to the states for it's alleged fraud.

nehimama, HeavyHauler and no really like this.
  5. Farmerga

Farmerga Georgia born, Kentucky bound!!

Make opioids OTC. The government has no business telling us what we can and cannot put into our bodies. (and, before anyone says it, it is not their responsibility to bail us out of the consequences of our poor choices. )

HeavyHauler and nehimama like this.
  6. HDRider

HDRider Well-Known Member

I was offering an equally absurd point to the absurd lawsuit.

Everyone wants to blame someone else for their problems. Everyone wants to cash in any way they can.

Stupid lawsuit.

7. HeavyHauler

I agree.

Alice In TX/MO likes this.
  8. HeavyHauler

I agree wholeheartedly or allow us to grow/process our own medicines

9. Shine

Shine Well-Known Member

Quaaludes?

HeavyHauler likes this.
  10. elevenpoint

elevenpoint Well-Known Member

Don't have an answer
    Watch an opioid addict not be able to find their prescription bottle by noon
    Frightening

11. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Another pointless lawsuit that will only enrich the lawyers.
    Let's sue the distilleries for not telling everyone alcohol is addictive and toxic.

12. HeavyHauler

Hell, why not?

13. HeavyHauler

Some of us had bags, not bottles. And some us had both.

Got watch for them patch fiends.

14. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

How about when they advertise that alcohol will make you cooler and more sexy and solve all that ails you?

Its one thing to make a potentially lethal product that if used inappropriately will be detrimental, but its another to market it for inappropriate uses in order to maximize profits. This is what the oxy drug companies were doing. They marketed it as not being addictive. Saying that people that seemed to be addicted were in fact only long suffering without it. It created what in fact just became legalized opium dens of modern age.

Now anybody with a brain wouldnt try to restrict an actual terminal patient from as much pain medication as they want. Worrying about somebody thats dying getting addicted is silly. But it gets complicated for non terminal patients with chronic pain. No meter they can hook up to determine if patient has actual pain or is just an addict

And as much as the libertarians out there wanting to allow neighborhood opium dens as an individual choice, and just let the stupid overdose and die, having significant numbers of addicts does affect the whole society. Crimes committed to buy their drugs, etc since serious addicts can only think about next fix, not holding a job to earn money to support their habit. Prisons to hold the addicts committing crimes, etc. Course the libertarians could hold a bake sale to raise funds to give the addicts free drugs so they wouldnt have to commit crimes to support their habit......

Irish Pixie likes this.
  15. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

You're repeating the media hype and ignoring all the warning labels on the drugs.

16. Grey Mare

Grey Mare Well-Known Member

I have been in the medical field for 27 years now....NEVER have I heard a dr tell anyone that oxycontin was not addictive. I have had to be on it a few times in my life, just recently for two surgeries a year apart. Each time the dr went over the warning's and had me relay back to them I understood, there were no refill's on the prescription and I had to come back to the office in 10 to 14 days for a follow up appointment.

The town I am in, we have a high rate of addicts due to medication and meth. Many scream they want rehab facilities built as their loved one "needs" the help. None of them will man up and show any personal responsibility for their actions, you talk to them and they will come up with 101 excuses why it is NOT their fault, but everyone and everything else around them. I don't want my hard earned tax dollars to go to a facility that these people will go in for a short time, think they are cured and right out they go to repeat the cycle, or state they didn't know. Yea okay.

Now, anyone going to a medical facility and needing pain meds, it is going to be like pulling teeth due to those who have addictions and are suing doctors for their family members issues or screaming it is the medical facilities problem or fault. Anyone who needs pain meds, are told Tylenol or Aleve, something that wouldn't touch some things, or the E.R. will give you a shot and send you on your way.

Wolf mom, JeffreyD, gerold and 3 others like this.
  17. Prismseed

Prismseed Self-sufficient newb!

How many innocent people deserve to suffer for an addict's poor choices? Because a lot are already.

There was a time of 'pill mills' and supposed 'pain clinics' that opioids practically were over the counter they were so easy to get. It was a fiasco.

There is actually quite a bit of history behind Oxys. Originally it was touted at a much lower risk category 4 instead of it's current day 2. This meant the warning labels weren't as severe and supposedly there was a much lower risk of dependency.

Class 2 drugs are also much more closely monitored for how much they are prescribed and the inventory is managed with much greater security in pharmacies. It used to be you could 'pick it up for your mom' from the pharmacy, but now your mother has to go herself and show id to get it.

When Oxycontin became category 2 and monitored it blew the lid off of how bad pill mills were churning the stuff out.

https://medshadow.org/resource/drug-classifications-schedule-ii-iii-iv-v/

Months back I read a great article on all the slimy stuff the manufacturers pulled between lobbying and cherry picking studies to get oxycontin on the market and how they originally marketed it. I'll try to dig it up.

Mish and Irish Pixie like this.
  18. Irish Pixie

So as a long term aid in the medical field, we should just let addicts die rather than provide treatment because they relapse? How about cancer patients if the cancer comes out of remission? Mental illness? Many relapses. Taking it further- Alzheimer's? ALS? Those people are never going to get better, do they deserve treatment?

I loathe paying for people that smoked, drank, and didn't take care of their bodies and now want everyone to pay for their lifestyle choice. I do because we are a first world country that doesn't allow people to die of treatable diseases, it's what people in a society do.

And it's been proven that Perdue Pharma mislead, understated, and twisted the information to physicians when they first released their opioid in the 1990s. Everyone that hasn't lived under a rock for at least the last ten years knows the addiction is real and dangerous now. The reason for the lawsuit is fraud when releasing the original information.

19. Farmerga

Farmerga Georgia born, Kentucky bound!!

How many innocent people deserve to suffer for an alcoholic's poor choices? A smoker's? An idiot's? A lot are already.

gerold, HeavyHauler and Cornhusker like this.
  20. Prismseed

Prismseed Self-sufficient newb!

Wow, you really don't know how detrimental an opioid addict is to the community, or how many there are out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.