Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to a Congressional mandate from 2020, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is making gas cans and other fuel containers safer by requiring flame mitigation devices.

The new mandatory safety standard will go into effect in July 2023.

Flame mitigation devices, such as flame arrestors, protect against flame jetting and container rupturing.

Flame jetting is a phenomenon where an external ignition source – such as an open flame – causes a sudden ignition of fuel within a container and forcefully expels burning vapor and liquid from the mouth of the container, resulting in a blowtorch-like effect.

Container rupturing is like flame jetting, except the burning vapor and liquid are expelled through a rupture in the container.

In December 2022, the Commission also voted to update child resistance requirements for closures on portable gas cans, and diesel and kerosene containers.

These requirements became effective on December 22, 2022.

The revisions also apply requirements to aftermarket products such as pour spouts.

Source: Link

· Registered
1,165 Posts
Oh for pete's sake. I already can't use these newer cans with their need for four hands to release the gas and hold the can.

I got aggravated and ordered spouts from EZ Pour to make the new cans usable for me.
I just unscrew the caps and pour into a funnel. Not only are they a PIA to open from the get-go but the mechanisms fail after a year or two and they dont work anyway.

· Registered
2,686 Posts
With the can I replaced the spout on I did need to add the vent or it took forever to empty it. I also pulled that stupid screen out that made it so hard to fill without spilling gas everywhere.

For my diesel can I got a rather expensive one from TSC that fills from the bottom. That way I can set it on the hood and refill the tank without having to hold it to refill.

· Registered
12,302 Posts
Pray tell me, how many of these congress people used gas cans on a regular basis like us homesteaders do? I bet some never even poured one.

So tired of people making laws to "save us from ourselves" when they know little to none about the subject.

· Super Moderator
13,573 Posts
Posted 1/25/23 8:01 AM CST

Sounds like just another piece of junk my friends who buy them will ask me how to eliminate like I showed them how to fill a soda bottle cap with hot glue and form fit on capless nozzle cans after showing them how to cut out the base plug, remove the screen cup so the gas nozzle can go into the can while being filled and drill a vent hole and use a nylon screw to keep the water out.

They all ask me because when my 35 year old 5 gallon gas can split at the seam years after one of the guys borrowed it and lost the nozzle cap and I made a replacement , when I bought a new 5 gallon gas can safe for doofuses , within an hour I had a handful of scrap plastic and the can worked as well as a pre safety stupidity gadget outfitted can.

I have been using that gadget stripped can for 4 years so far and it hasn't leaked or caught fire.

· Still an :censored:
15,975 Posts
The No Spill is the best can you can buy. You can fill a chain saw with a five gallon can and not spill a drop.

They are that easy to use. The icing on the cake is they flow as fast or as slow as you want given the built in vent.

They come in smaller sizes too.
Liquid Fluid Packaging and labeling Gas Magenta

Once you've used one you'll wonder why you messed with anything else.

· Super Moderator
11,583 Posts

· Registered
4,836 Posts
Best gas can ever made.

To pour you open the outer cap, pull out the flexible spout, open the vent, bend the spout to insert it in the gas tank, and then tilt the gas can to start gas flowing. No spilling as usually happens when trying to hit the gas tank opening with a rigid spout. No loose parts to lose.

They must have only made these for a few years because they are scarce. I have 2 six gallon and 1 one gallon. The one gallon one is handy for mixing gas for the two cycle engines.

· Registered
564 Posts
I just unscrew the caps and pour into a funnel. Not only are they a PIA to open from the get-go but the mechanisms fail after a year or two and they dont work anyway.
This is what I do, too.
I use a transmission fluid funnel, with the long neck they make things easy.

· Registered
2,686 Posts
Best gas can ever made.

To pour you open the outer cap, pull out the flexible spout, open the vent, bend the spout to insert it in the gas tank, and then tilt the gas can to start gas flowing. No spilling as usually happens when trying to hit the gas tank opening with a rigid spout. No loose parts to lose.

They must have only made these for a few years because they are scarce. I have 2 six gallon and 1 one gallon. The one gallon one is handy for mixing gas for the two cycle engines.
Vintage is right. I'm still using mine that I got in GA in the early 90's. Doesn't have the flexible spout but does still have the spout cap. I've got the five gallon and the one gallon.

That side handle is awesome. I wish they'd bring those back.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts