More roof/siding problems

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Jena, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I still have my hole in the porch roof, but have noticed other roof problems. I decided that I ought to have a contractor do the roof, but they are all so busy I can't get one out here to do it.

There is no drip edge on most of the roof edges. Can this be installed now or must that be done as the roof goes on?

The siding was removed from the fascia when they put the roof on 10 years ago. They didn't put it back and there's just bare wood showing. The siding is very old and I probably can't find any to match it. Can I just paint that wood to prevent further damage or can I get some odds and ends of siding to put on it? Painting would be easier and cheaper, I suspect.

The old man nailed over-sized storm windows over the windows. They extend onto the siding and he just pounded big old nails right through it. I want to remove these windows. Should I patch the nail holes? What do I use on aluminum siding?

There is one area above the porch roof where the siding was cut away and removed and never replaced. The wood is painted and looks ok, but should I do anything with that?

I really need a totally new roof and new siding, but don't have the $$$ for it right now. It doesn't leak yet (except where the hole is).

Jena

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

You should be able to loosen and slip in a drip edge then re-secue it. Keep everything as water tight as you can. If it gets direct water/ snow then you could flash and calk the exposed wood, the facia should be fine painted. At least mine has been for 17 years. I'd be more worried about the reason the over sized windows were nailed on, but now is a good time to find out.