More ramblings...........

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jagger, May 26, 2004.

1. Jagger

Jagger Well-Known Member

Hello to all,
    I hope eveyone is doing well? I am good, the wife is fine as well. She is a little grumpy at times and a little on the sick side but all and all she is fine.

Well for those that are interested to know, we have yet another twist in our homesteading adventure. I was reading a local publication, I came across an ad that read "Old farmstead,small acreage, pond, large garden spot, small outbuildings, ajoins national forrest and state park........" After reading this small ad i was very interested. I had thought to myself to forget about it, but somthing made me call the number. I did and i spoke to an elderly gentleman, at length. So long in fact, that i burnt up my phone card and had to run to the store to get another one so i could finish the conversation. I ask numerous questions about the property. The man also ask me several questions about my family as well as what i intended to do with the land. I think that he was impressed with my varied knowlege of homesteading and farming. I just laid it all on the line. I have always felt a little hesitant telling people that i plan to homestead or live of the land. I told him how i would like to build a cordwood house etc.... He was very suprised i think. He said that all sounded great to him. So i wanted to know how much $$$? He would not tell me figures over the phone, he wanted to meet me and my family in person. So i borrowed a car, and we drove the 50 miles to the spot. It was awsome. It was all there as he had said it was. After walking around for awhile we started to talk money. My son was off playing thru the yard and my wife was meandering around as well. He made me a great deal. He said he was not as concerned with money as who he sold to. He did not want the property to be used in the wrong way. He wanted a young family to move out there and run the place like a small farm(which it always had been. It is the only tract left of a huge farm that was divided many years ago. Well to make a long story short, he just wanted to check my references and said he would get back ahold of me. Hopefully today. The man is moving out of state, and he wanted to make sure that this little peice of land was in good hands before he left. We are keeping our fingers crossed. I feel as though we got it in the bag.

Well as you can proably tell we wont be moving to missouri, unless this land doesn't go thru. I do regret this desicion after all the help and support that we have gotten from many of you. There are many advantages to staying here.
    The land has electric, county water, and a septic all in place. It even has an outhouse. The land is beautifull. From one corner of the property i could throw a rock and hit the lake, which just happens to have a small marina. The pond is spring fed and im told has a great number of hungry fish. The property is located in a area that i could still commute to my job. I can carpool with a couple others that live near this spot as well as working at the same resturant. I am able to get the promotion as well. My GM was very very happy that i was staying. This property is not as remote as the other, but it has many more attributes that will work well for us. I beleve it will be easy for us to sell items right from our little farm, as there is "summer people" comming and going all the time. We will be able to sell produce,eggs,crafts etc..

Well thats about it for now.

Be good
    Jagger

2. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Jagger. Now just get him to sign a P&S and you'll be on your way!

3. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

Sound's to me like the Lord is telling you something.

You are a lucky man and don't forget it.
    Ed

4. mousecat33

mousecat33 Well-Known Member

I was so excited and anxious for ya'll, it made me reflect on my personal "jump"
    to the country: the pain, the blood, the backache, the broken nose, the....I could go on and on.

Now I'm kinda jealous that you've had something possibly fall into your lap...without the hard work ;) But I'm sure there's alot to do/repair.

Heres to ya'll and I hope it works out.

regards from TX

mc

5. Ohiosteve

Ohiosteve Well-Known Member

Jagger,
    Congrats on the latest development. Seems that honest and sincere people
    always land on their feet! Where exactly is this land at? My wife is originally
    from Hocking Co. so I am a little familiar with that area.
    Steve

6. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Sounds like the right deal,and I hope it all works out.

big rockpile

7. Balancedmom2003

Balancedmom2003 Well-Known Member

Jagger that is terrific!! I hope that it works out for you and your family.

Michele

8. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow that is awesome! Good for you! This sounds like it will work out great and I bet your families will be happy too.
    I think you just got manna from heaven, hope everything goes through real soon! :p

9. Pigeon Lady

Pigeon Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

Jagger and Dorothy, That's great news!!! Boy things seem to be really looking up for you.

I had no doubt that you could have made the Missouri plan work but why break your back starting from scratch if you don't have to.

Now you can concentrate on getting your critters and doing all the fun stuff! And you can still take advantage of the promotion!

I'm SO happy for you both!!!

P.L.

10. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

Jagger

This really sounds great. After hearing your wife was going to have a little one, I was concerned with her being in the out doors. I sure hope this works out as I feel you will be safer.
    I know you could do the out door living from your posts but it would really be tough on your family. This way all could be done much easier and you would be in a much better position. Your wife's parents shouldn't be upset and all would be peace and harmony.
    Sure hope this new deal works for you. Will miss you :waa: in MO but that can take place later, after you get all going there.