More Pit Bull woes

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by deesygirl, Dec 2, 2003.

1. deesygirl

deesygirl Member

It just amazes me that soemone did not put these dogs down sooner :( and no ordanance :confused:

Updated: 11:12 AM EST
    Dog Owners May Face Charges in Deadly Attack
    Denver Woman Killed by Pit Bull Dogs
    By ROBERT WELLER, AP

DENVER (Dec. 2) - A woman was killed in a gruesome attack by a pack of pit bull dogs that residents say had been a roaming menace for months. Another man was injured but escaped after his son shot at the dogs.

Authorities began weighing charges Monday against the owners of the dogs.

Jennifer Brooke, 40, was killed early Sunday when she went to a barn to care for her horses, officials said. A friend worried about her, Bjorn Osmunsen, 24, was attacked when he went to look for her.

''It's a gruesome thing; it's kind of hard to deal with,'' Elbert County Undersheriff James Underwood said of Brooke's injuries. ''Even the fire department and the rescue personnel were having a hard time dealing with some of it.''

One dog had allegedly mauled a neighbor earlier this year, and officials said the dogs were well known in the rolling ranch land near Kiowa, southeast of Denver.

''The people in the area had their own sort of emergency phone network to warn each other if the dogs were loose before they would go out,'' Rattlesnake Fire District Chief Dale Goetz said.

After fatally mauling Brooke, the dogs moved on to a nearby home and attacked Lynn Baker when he stepped outside.

''One was leaping for my throat as one was dragging me down by my hand,'' Baker said.

He said he jumped into the bed of his pickup truck and screamed for family members to call authorities, and for his 16-year-old son, Cody, to grab a gun.

Cody Baker fired at the dogs with a shotgun, blinding one, knocking one down and disorienting the third. The distraction allowed his father to climb into the cab of the pickup and drive close enough to his house to scurry inside.

''I came out and shot the big one twice but it hardly slowed him down,'' said Baker, whose son also was attacked but was not injured.

''They were monsters. And they don't run away. They come at you, even when you are shooting at them,'' Baker said in a telephone interview. The dogs were eventually killed by Cody Baker and a deputy. Both Lynn Baker and Osmunsen were treated for their injuries and released.

The dogs' owners, one of whom was identified as Jacqueline McCuen, could face charges ranging from a misdemeanor to negligent homicide, said Mike Knight, spokesman for the district attorney.

There was no comment from McCuen; her telephone number is listed as disconnected.

Resident Tom Nichols said his wife, Diana, was mauled by one of the dogs in April. He said she suffered several bite wounds, including a bone-deep gash that took two months to heal.

After that attack, one dog was impounded and McCuen was issued a summons for having a vicious animal. The case was dismissed because there appeared to be no applicable ordinance, but the case has been reopened, District Attorney Jim Peters said Monday.

Grover Henderson said the dogs chased his wife, Linda, into their home on Oct. 4. ''A few weeks earlier, they had come to our house and bared their teeth at me, and I called McCuen and told her I would shoot them if they came back,'' he said.

12/02/03 11:10 EST

2. newlifeintx60

newlifeintx60 Member

I am wondering also deesygirl, If everybody knew they were a problem, why was not something done? And was Animal Control notified or the local Sherrif?

Does anybody on this list have one of these dogs? Can you tell me why a Pit Bull is a good choice for a dog? :confused:

From my days in SoCal the only people I saw that had dogs of this breed were the gang bangers and drug dealers, so execpt to have a vicious dog around is there another reason to have one?

Link to Story on ABC News
    http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20031202_347.html

Andrew

3. Pops2

Pops2 Well-Known Member

before every billybob & leroy started misbreeding them they were the most stable breed a person could have. petey from the original little rascals was one. in the heyday of scratch & turn dogfighting the owners/breeders culled any dog that showed human aggression because it made them difficult to handle in the pit. the last few decades they have been improperly bred & crossed to reduce the inhibition. i have met one old timer on line that had to get a guard dog to keep people from stealing his fighting dogs (sent them to Japan where it is legal). but he also still culled man aggressive dogs.

4. handy

handy Member

Best dog I ever had was a pure breed pit bull. Loyal as the day was long and would protect my property and me with her life. Loved kids and would play all day with them. And she came from fighting lines. She lived to only be 9 years old but in that time she did more to promote the good traits of the breed in north dakota and manitoba than any dog in the area. It's true that the new breeders are making a mint and not culling the bad dogs. It's not just the pits. Some rotts just killed someone a year or two ago also. I've also had akitas and they were just as aggresive unless trained properly. It's all in the training and the genes. If people were having trouble with these dogs , then why didn't someone do some culling of their own? The 3 "S's" are still the best rule when dealing with feral dogs, coyotes, and any other nonsense.

5. Kevin and Laura

Kevin and Laura Well-Known Member

I grew up with pit bulls, and they were the most gentle dogs we ever had. Are they more aggresive with other dogs? Yes, but that's a plus in the country. Repeatedly, we dispelled people's stereotypes by showing them how we could push our hands down in their food and they would just back up. My mom could hold a potato chip in her lips and they would put their lips back, gently take the chip and back away.

What makes the difference? TRAINING!!!!!!!!! You can train any dog to be viscious. I worked with a vet for a year. Which dogs were the worst? 1. a black lab named Cinder that never came into the exam room, whose owner had to get a death grip so we could vaccinate. 2. a rat terrier that had to be noosed, handled with welder gloves and even sedated once. There were people with rotts, german shepards and dobermans, where the animals were perfectly behaved.

People often say that other people should not be allowed to own pit bulls because they're viscious. First of all, the name "pit bull" is being applied to any dog that is mean lately. I can't count the times I've heard a dog referred to as a pit bull and then saw it and said, "That is NOT a pit bull." In addition, what other breeds are you going to ban? Where does it end? Would you ban other types of animals too? I've never met a shetland pony that wouldn't just as soon bite you as look at you. What about arabians? Flighty, can't be trusted. (just an example).

The problem is not the animals, it is the owners. Getting rid of their animals is a short-term solution. There is only one place where people get the message...their pocket book. It's just like any other "crime", stiffer penalties make for less crime and fewer re-offenders.

Laura

6. I couldn't agree more-''the problem isn't the dog, it's the owners''and unfortionately, the animal is the one to pay the price.Neglected, mistreated, animals are a meneace to everyone.I've about had it with irresponsable ''pet'' owners-espacially the ones who tire of their cats or dogs and dump them in the country[in front of my place]instead of taking them to the Humane society.They would rather dump the animal that pay the $25 to have it properly disposed of.Or the quasi county folk who own a dao and let it roam at large so it can be''free''- or better yet the idealistic idiots who won't neuter their animals because it ''isn't natural''.
    This is why any free roaming animal is shot on sight.

7. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I had one when I was in high school. I live about a mile or so from school, so I had to walk. As I was leaving, I got to the end of my street where I saw a bunch of boys on bikes dragging a pit bull from a rope. I don't know if they saw me or what, but they let go of the rope just as a car approached. If the intentions were for her to be hit by the car, it didn't work.

I immediately took her home and locked her in my bedroom with some water and then went to school. When I got home, there was no damage to my room at all, and my cat Isabell had been in there the whole time under the bed. It didn't appear as if the dog even knew she was there.

I convinced my mom to let me keep her. When I married and moved out, she went with me. We were able to have kittens around her. She would even let them suckle on her nipples, even though she was obviously fixed.

The only occaision she was aggressive with any other animals was when she would run after skunks, or other female dogs. She was the most loving dog I had. When my husband and I divorced, I went to live with people who could not take Maggie. I found a good home for her, though. She went to live with a woman and her small children who were abused by her ex-husband. He would come to the house and beat on her, out of the blue. Maggie put a stop to that the first time he came over when she was there. I missed her terribly, but I knew, just as I had rescued her from abuse, she was rescuing that woman and her family.

I will defend that breed of dog forever because I know it's how they are raised and treated. The owners that raise them to be bad dogs need to be shot, not the dogs.

8. RAC

RAC Guest

""The people in the area had their own sort of emergency phone network to warn each other if the dogs were loose before they would go out," Goetz said. They dubbed the system the "frequent flyers rescue rig."" (from the ABC story)

I find the above simply amazing. The first "incident" of a dog pursuing someone ought to have been the last. I hope the survivors of that poor woman (and the man who was attacked) sue the city/county over this, as well as the dog owner (but, chances are, she's judgement proof, like most criminals). Those people who did the above "notifying", such as it was, well, I imagine they're feeling pretty bad now, because by not pushing for legal action sooner, someone's dead now.

Just because people choose to live in the country doesn't mean they can choose to circumvent the laws, or show utter contempt and disregard for others by their actions. This dog owner gives people living in the country a bad name through her actions.

Dogs become bad dogs through training, or lack thereof. However, this particular breed has such a bad reputation now, that unless you can show some sort of proof that your particular dog is trained (isn't there some kind of canine "good citizen" training certification a dog and owner can go through?), sad to say you are safe in assuming most of the time that someone who owns certain breeds is up to no good--and should be prosecuted accordingly, not this "negligent" business. Deliberately choosing to own a dangerous dog should be a criminal offense carrying real jail time.

It will take a long time before this and certain other breeds are rehabilitated in the minds of the public, and short of doing a round up of all backyard breeder dogs, putting them down and only licensing legitimate dog breeder businesses, what do you do?

9. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy

I agree that Pitts have a bad rap... Its cool to own these dogs nowadays. These gangster creeps use these dogs to make themsleves seem bigger and badder... Some cities wont even allow a minor to WALK a pitt bull let alone own one..
    2 days ago my Father in Law had to shoot his nieghbors pitt bull. The dog got out of its yard, and had a little girl pinned against a truck, my FIL and another neighbor went to help and that dog took out after the other guy like gangbusters, he ran to his yard and got there just in time to slam the gate in thye dogs face.. That dog did his best to get over, thru, or under that gate.
    My FIL went back to his house got a 38 with the intention of trying to get that dog back in its yard befoer someone got hurt but he wanted SOME proptection if it came at him.. He comes out his front gate and startes walking down his driveway and this pitt comes around the end of the Van and went straight for him, FIL headed back to his front gate, and as he was trying to open it the dog caught up to him and lunged for him, FIL brought the pistol up and shot.... The dog stopped, dropped onto all fours and stood there a sec and then walked back into its yard and promptly died on its porch...
    Mind you while all this was going on about 5 to 7 people called Animal Control
    and the sherrifs... Animal control showed up over 2 hours later. Took a look at the dead dog, said well problem solved and left.. Couple hours later Sherrif shows up and by now the owner has gotten home to find his dead dog. and goes balistic... FIL goes over says Im the one who shot the dog,... Sherrifs holds up his hands and says I dont want to hear that, go back in your house Problem is solved... Soon he leaves as well...
    This dog owner has the gall to accuse FIL of shooting ghis dog for no reason , he claims the dog is not aggressive... Which brings to mind an incident not but a few weeks earlier when SAME dog pinned a neighbor in his yard and was trying to get him when the owner came and got the dog and put him back in his own yard... The owner KNEW this dog was aggressive...
    That jerk is LUCKY that little girl or anyone else wasnt hurt or killed, and all he can think of is his poor dead dog......

10. I totally agree the main fault lies with the animals owners, butyou can't go round shooting people- so the best course of action is simply to shoot any unattended dog on your property.Many rural areas already have livestock protection laws on their books, and for good reason.
    You aren't going to reason with ignorant owners, so there;s no point explaining your actions.I had a very large dog left in my care for a ''couple of months''[ which turned out to be a couple of years] but it unfortionately broke free of my kids who were walking it on a lead,and bit a cyclist.I took the dog directly to the annimal shelter and had it put down- hated to do it, but it's not worth the risk .
    When the animal protection people came around to investigate the complaint- I had the receipt for the euthanasia.The guy thanked me for dealing with it- he had had a similar experiance with a dog left''temporarily'' in his care too.
    Unfortionately if you go the proper and legal route, the animal owner gets at least two warnings before they can take the dog- and that means two people , or two incidents of some one , or some other animal getting mauled first.Better to shoot first and say nothing.Saves a lot of trouble.