More ?? on the greenhouse. (m)

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Montana Mom, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Montana Mom

Montana Mom Well-Known Member

I have decided on a 10x12 "solar shed" that only has one side paneled with glass and the rest enclosed. I needed the shed/work space and want to use the paned side to grow early starts in March/April/May, plus a place to bring in potted plants for frost rescue.

So, I was wondering what would be the best direction to face the glass panels on the one side of the shed? My outside garden is South, behind the house. I was thinking of putting the shed alongside the garden on the West side. It is 9' tall. Would putting it there, with the panes facing South or East steal needed sun from my garden spot? Would South or East be a better placement of the panes?

TIA.

2. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I have a friend who converted a metal barn into something like this. It's not simply gorgeous --- it's a really wonderful looking structure --- but very, very function.

She has the glassed portion facing Southwest. It is also somewhat shaded on that side --- we get very, very, very hot here, after all, and have very intense summer heat --- but all in all, it's proven to be very functional.

3. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Liza, over here where i live by butte, my little green house has the clear panels facing southwest. so it will get as much sun in winter as possible and a bit less than full in the summer when it can easily heat up to 120 degrees in there by noon. Kathleen

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

At the higher latitudes the heat gain (and light) from east and west is minimal in winter and max in the summer. Heat gain from the south is minimal in summer and max in winter. So solar south would be the preferred orientation for greenhouse glass.

5. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Kim, how do you figure solar south (or solar west or whatever)? I'm very curious about this --- never heard of it before!

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Solar south differs from magnetic south and is easy to determine. Pound a stake into the ground in a sunny spot. Take a handful of large nails. Each quarter to a half hour from about 9 am to about 3 go out and put a nail into the ground at the tip of the shadow cast by the stake. Then measure the distance from the bottom of the stake to the nails. Determine which shadow line is longest and remove all the other nails. The remaining nail will be at solar north and the stake at solar south.

7. stormwalker

stormwalker Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for that neat bit of info. That's going to be very handy to me in the next couple of days!