Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Retired farmer-rancher
Joined
·
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting nervous, I got some beef heifers I plan on selling early winter and am wondering if now is the time. A friend sold 15 mix angus/herford heifers weighing 820 lbs for $2.12 per lb yesterday at auction. Thats a big chunk of change for a critter thats still got a long ways to go before it reaches the table. :confused: I've got the hay and grass is still good, how long do I risk waiting before I pull the trigger??:cowboy: Anybody got a crystal ball?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Sale prices my change a bit, but beef isn't going down anytime soon at the store. If your selling at the sale who knows. If your selling to end user your fine. It's just like gas. Oil drops 15% gas takes months to drop that same 15% so you have time.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
220 Posts
I am in the same boat, though I only have one calf and he is only 3 months old. I am trying to decide if I should sell him in December when he is 6 months or wait for early spring and let him grow some. I have the advantage of him being in the pasture with other family members cows so I wont have to feed him.
 

·
-Melissa
Joined
·
995 Posts
my thoughts on the subject tend to lean towards holding them until spring if you can't get them sold this fall. The price of cattle, I have found, seems to drop during the winter. As soon as the fields start greening up, everybody wants to put beef on them to eat the grass. Try to hold them until spring. Yes, their is risk, but come on, the whole game of farming is a risk. As for the heifers, you could maybe try to sell off something like craigslist.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
Stock and slaughter cows are starting to slip a little on price.. but I see the markets for feeders to hold steady or rise throughout the next 4-6 months because of corn prices being fairly low in the $4 per bushel range. We're banking on it to hold up with 17 feeders in the 400-500 range right now..
 
  • Like
Reactions: ksfarmer

·
My name is not Alice
Joined
·
4,185 Posts
No crystal ball, but I don't think prices are going to crash. I'd suggest not looking at this group that you have on the block, but instead on your operation. There may or may not be anything other than a marginal difference between now and the spring. If the presence of those hooves brings an improvement to your land, I would keep them. If it would stress it, I would move them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
903 Posts
I'd love to see some $4 corn, were $2.50 here. Part of me thinks I should
Sell them before the price drops or they die, the other part thinks I've got bins full if cheep corn I can feed them.
 

·
Retired farmer-rancher
Joined
·
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd love to see some $4 corn, were $2.50 here. Part of me thinks I should
Sell them before the price drops or they die, the other part thinks I've got bins full if cheep corn I can feed them.
Yep, corn is $2.75 here now, I've got hay too. Might be best to sell my hay and corn on the hoof.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top