More of my Ramblings

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jagger, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Jagger

Jagger Well-Known Member

Hello to all,
    Well a few things have happened since the last time i posted a thead.
    I got my money back in the mail yesterday. It was my refund for the land i got of ozarkland.com. I was wondering how long it would take them to send it back. Of course i had to leave a message on their phone as well as write a couple emails, but i got my money back. It was a painless experience.

Things are going pretty good work. I took that job promotion, if you want to call it that. It is better, and a bit more money. I have pretty much stop talking about moving at work. I still plan on leaving just dont know when it will be. Once i know for sure then i'll put in my notice. I am in a constant state of training at work. We keep losing employees. So i have to train new people constantly. This becomes a real drag.It also creates alot more work for me. The newbies don't know how to do anything, so i have to take up the slack. Oh well.

My state of mind is better now. In my last thread i was having a bad day. Today is better. I know alot of you suggested that i take myself to the doctor and have myself checked out. Not going to happen. I have no insurance, I have the funds to goto one on my own. I don't think pumping pills into my system is what i need to do. I distrust the medical system, and doctors in general.

I worked during the day yesterday and i got off at 3pm. I walked home as usual. Where i walk at i go behind a big furniture store warehouse. Behind this place is a section of undeveloped land, several acres in size. It is overgrown and is actually very beautiful. As i walked thru this little peice of heaven on my way home i stopped at the creek. A very inviting rock called to me to sit awhile, I did. I sat there watching the cool, clear water. The little stream had an almost musical sound as it meandered by me. I stretched my feet out and took off my hat. A few deep breaths later i was cutting down some saplings. I built myself a small frame (wigwam style). Back to the warehouse i went. I was searching for some plastic sheeting or something similar. I knew there was some about. I had seen it on my way thru. I got what i needed and was back at my little lodge in no time. I covered the wigwam with the plactic and i tried to seal it up pretty tight. As i was finishing up i heard a CRACK. A stick had been busted. I immediately went into a squatting position. I thought maybe one of the locale kids or worse yet one of the roaming druggies was in my territory. I waited several minutes, squatting there looking around, peering into the dense foliage. I could see nothing and i could hear nothing. After several minutes i stood up, and low and behold it was a deer standing just 30 yards distant. When it saw me it bounded away across the stream. This made me smile. After a few moments I gathered some dry firewood. I kindled a fire and went to the creek to gather some small rocks. The fire blazed brillantly. It snapped and crackled from the intense heat that the dry wood gave it. The fire grew hotter and hotter i added more wood. I laid several of the softball sized rocks around and in the fire. I waited for them to heat. I found a couple green forked branches to use to pick up the hot rocks. I sat on the ground and was entertained by the sound of the creek babling and singing its song as well as the pop and hissing from the water steaming of the heating rocks. Once the rocks were heated i quickly rolled and carried them into the wigwam. I then stripped down to my underware and stepped inside. I closed up the door the best i could. I sat the opposite side of the rocks. I dowsed the rocks with water, steam erupted from them. I was engulfed in a cloud of hot steam. I sat there praying, talking with the creator. I asked him for his forgiveness. I ask him to show me what too do. I sat there talking to him out loud. My body was very hot and sweat poured from every square inch of my body. I told the creator everything that was on my mind. I wept. After the rocks had cooled and would not let loose any more steam i got up and went back outside. I solemly walked over to the creek. I walked down into it and plunge my body into the icy cool water. It was refreshing as well as liberating. I went back up onto the bank and got dressed. I put the fire out and went on my way home. I had lots of mixed feeling about what i had just done. I felt completely better after this sweat bath. Some things seem more clear. Some do not. As i walked home everything seemed different. The wind, the song of birds everything. Everything seemed to be in complete harmony with each other, and changed somehow. The air was heavily laddened with the sweet smell of honeysuckle. I smiled as i walked. It was a good day.

I am still looking for some property. I am eagerly searching. I have been looking in places (states) that i had never really considered. I want to know more about certain areas but i will make seperate threads for those questions. I think i may have found a good lead down in Kentucky. My wife is from Kentucky. I have not given up hope. I think when we move out of this place and if we have not yet found a peice of land, we will stay in a campground till we do find something.

I want to again thank all of you. I want to thank you for your concern, your suggestions, and your prayers. I know to some of you that what i type is just a bunch of nonesense., but it really helps me to let some things out sometimes. Even though at times it must be difficult to follow my ramblings. I just want to say thank you.

Be good
    Jagger

2. I'm sorry, but the 'story part' of the above writing just doesn't have a truthful ring to it. It's a wonderful story, but uh-uh.

3. heelpin

heelpin Well-Known Member

Jagger, I'll say it again, you have a God given talent with words, it would be a sin not to cultivate it. Think about it, a place in the woods, a word processor, an agent in New York and a check in the mailbox. You have the ability to hold the reader, this is rare even with established writers. In my opinion you can turn those ramblings into cold hard cash, think about it.
    I have a feeling that you like to read, here are some classics online.
    http://www.cswnet.com/~dbruce/modern/

4. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

Sometimes we just need time with Nature to get our heads together - glad you decided to partake in that which is free.
    I think the campground idea is great and if your wife is from Kentucky, beautiful state I might add, then that sounds like a great lead. Getting out of the city while your on this adventure will keep your sanity intact, believe me I know of that which I speak! :p

5. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

How about this idea?Put an ad in the paper about the property you want,and a brief description about your financial situation.I had a nice old neighbor who had no family sell me my first house for a song just because he liked helping a young fella get a start.Those situations are out there,might just be worth a shot.i agree,the fewer drugs you take the better off you are.I also think depression is USUALLY situational,not medical.Drugs,in my book,are WRONG for Most people,a funk is OK,just makes you soul search a little.Drugs wont cure your life problems,you need to do that.Personally I think you have it right in that respect.
    Hang in Bud.It may well take years,but it will come if you dont give up.
    BooBoo

6. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Personally,I dont like the "Move to a campground and live" idea.You wind up in trashy situations if its a place that lets you long term with old equipment.Those situations mean low lifes,alcoholics,druggies,scuzz bums.I know this from experience,we travelled a lot and saw what long term situations usually boiled down to.Not a good place to try and raise a family.Its a shame for the good folks,but its what you will be lumped into.If you want to campground,its three months max and keep it mobile,otherwise its not too hot.IMHO
    BooBoo

7. Hogsubie

Hogsubie Well-Known Member

That's not necessarily true. At a duplex I used to rent, the landlord owned several acres. Half of the land was an RV park/campground. the other half was developed into duplexes/triplexes. The campground side was meticulously cared for as well as the rest of the property. They had some people who appeared to grounded there permanently. Some of these were pretty old trailers (not MH type). But these people cared for their property and was a really nice place. If I were to live in a trailer for a short period of time, I'd have no problems staying there, and I'd probably enjoy it.

8. mossy

mossy Guest

Hi Jagger.

I have read some of your other posts and it seems to me that you have found your niche in life - just haven't accepted it as such yet. you are not a failure just because you see that you cannot live in this society by societies rules. some of us just have another place to be - another path to follow. I see that most that posters here don't follow that other path - I am not as I am here typing on this pc but I am spending time learning what I can that will help me in the future where I will be totally following that other path. if nature calls you get out there and take care of her. there is nothing wrong with that - there is nothing wrong with doing what you are born to do. you might not fiind that many ppl who accept that - seems to me that most of the ones who would are out there living that life and not here on their computers.

if being of society feels like you are beating your head against the wall well you probably are. your path is the one of least resistance - life should not be hard. we all have our paths in life and should keep our feet firmly on our own path, not try to follow someone elses.

love, light and peace,
    mossy

9. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

What, no one else is going to comment about a guy who cut down saplings and started a fire on someone else's property? And then he has the nerve to refer to it as 'my territory'? I have to say that was very bad form Jagger. 'Round here that makes for bad neighbors. Not to mention the temp is in the 80's during the day and you don't need hot rocks to sweat. Plus, its fire season here and that fire, if I followed the timeline of your story, would have been illegal and may have endangered the property or others. None of this is a way to show you'd be a good steward of land.

If you are done working at 3 PM you probably have time for a second job, especially if you are trying to save money. Even if it is only three or four nights you could up your income which is what you say you want.

10. Never mind, BCR. I think Jagger has a rich imagination. Didn't happen........