More "newbie" questions

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by DayBird, Nov 13, 2004.

1. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

What size cage is recommended for mini lops? They're the largest rabbits I currently have.

When should they be bred for weaned babies ready to sell to the petstores the first week of December? (I know this date has passed this year.) How about for Easter sales?

I have five dutch does, different colors, but currently do not have a dutch buck. I have three bucks, a mini lop, a mini rex, and a netherland dwarf. The lop is much larger than any of the dutch does. Is it safe to breed him to those or should I only use the rex and dwarf bucks?

The man I that usually supplies my stores with bunnies has moved and has given me the entire herd. Other than the grey dutch mix (He called it a chinchilla), He said they're all purebred but not registered.

I have mini lops: one buck and three does (ones a tricolored, he said this is rare)
    dutch: two grey does (one is much larger than the others), a black doe and a brown doe
    netherland dwarfs: a white buck, a siamese (?) doe and a dark chocolate doe
    a mini rex buck
    a hotoe doe
    and a grey dutch mix

Thanks,
    Robert

2. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

I build all my cages the same size, for the largest rabbits I have. This way I can always put in small rabbits. If you build your cages for small rabbits and later decide to get into full size rabbits you have wasted all that time and energy not to mention money.

3. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

That's exactly what I was thinking. What size would you recommend? 24 X 30? 30 X 48? How high? 18 inch standard or could I get by with just 15 inches? I'm going to use some leftover wire from building bird cages.

4. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

everyone has their own ideas of the perfect size for a rabbit. Here in the Americas we don't have any laws governing sizes of cages...yet, however, Europe does!

I have both 24'x36' and 24"x48" at 24" high...because I can use the same wire on 5 sides. The bottom wire is also then 24". However, If I could reach in to a 30" or 36" wide cage believe me I would have a deeper cage. Since I have to be able to reach in to each back corner 24" is my limit and then I have to crawel into the cage.
    This size cage allows me to raise a litter in them or grow fryers in them. My bucks are in a 24"x24" cage.

I like to build each one of my cages separately so that I can pull 1 cage and clean it without having to pull say a double or triple cage. Since I have an automatic watering system this also makes it easier to pull one cage for cleaning.

The size of my cages are a bit large for your mini's. I would like to add, I was told that in Europe they raise several pregnant does in the same cage, each having their own (external) nesting box and each one has no problems finding their own kits. The large cage then becomes a community cage. Again this is for fryer raising and no one cares who is who or which is which.

5. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

We had large rabbits, but mostly small pet breeds, and my favourite cage was 18 deep by 24 wide. 15inch should be fine on top if you wish, but 18 would be better. For a mini lop I would reccomend 24 by 24, you don't need to go bigger than that, although it will be a mite tight if she has a huge litter, but you can wean them at 4 weeks old (obviously a week or two longer if they are little guys). The dwarves could take 6 weeks for pet shop age. By the way, I know most people say not to wean them this little, but we used to weigh ours, and 8 ounces was the lower limit on wether or not they could go. We were the main supplier of pet rabbits for the entire Chicago area, and we always did this. I would say to be safe, if you have to sell them that week, 5 weeks for minis and dutch, 6 or 7 weeks for the dwarfs. Depends how good of nursers they are. So you would breed two months before approx, you can figure it out. :D

I would breed the breeds you have bucks & does of with the same. (mini lop with mini lop)

Breed the hotoe doe with the netherland, they will basically be dwarfs when you sell them. I would also suggest breeding the dwarf buck with the dutches, they will look more like dwarves than anything, and these and the lops are the most popular pet breeds, but you won't get lops if you breed the minis with the dutch. Since the dutch is already a cross, you could give her to the mini-rex so he doesn't feel left out. :) What is she a cross with? If you breed the mini-rex buck with the dutch, they could have much longer, gangly ears, and that is definitely not a plus in pet bunnies. Cute, short ears, or loppy ears is the most desireable. PM me if you need any info, like I said, we did this for years, and my parents still do it after all these years. I would be glad to help you out...