More new lambs (Shetland)

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by lisarichards, Apr 11, 2005.

1. lisarichards

lisarichards Well-Known Member

These are our very first lambs, and it couldn't have been easier. We fed the crowd before we went off to visit a couple of potential guard llamas, and when we came back, our Shetland ewe Jarrett had these two adorable little lambs with her. Their daddy is Raven, a big white Shetland, so I'm surprised to get two black lambs. Jarrett's coloring is really a black shaela, who we just sheared yesterday. (just in time!)

[​IMG]

Everyone seems fine. Several of the other Shetland ewes keep checking out the babies, but our wether is keeping them all away. I gave the mama some hay and water near her, as she seems to want to stay pretty far from the manger. I haven't yet checked to see what the sex of the babies are.

We've got 3 more Shetland ewes still pregnant, and 3 Icelandics, all due any day now.

2. Shahbazin

Shahbazin Well-Known Member

Gorgeous lambs! I love that little flecket one - do you think those are just birth markings, or will they stick?

3. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Oh gosh they are so sweet!

4. Taylor

Taylor Well-Known Member

Adorable babies, as all Shetland lambs are, but I may be prejudiced. Don't be surprised if they change color as they grow. To see if they'll stay black, check their tongues. Black tongue, lamb will stay black. Also look closely at the base of their wool, the skin - sometimes by a couple of weeks old you can tell if they'll lighten up.
    Congrats on these guys, they are cute. We are almost done - just about 3 ewes to go. Fourteen lambs of all colors are currently careening around the pasture, forming what DH calls the Mafia Gang, since they run at top speed around or jump over every obstacle in the racetrack, including their mothers and the cats. :) Have a great lambing season, hope everyone is happy and healthy and has beautiful wool!

5. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Congrats, they are veryy cute!!!

6. lisarichards

Another one of our Shetland ewe's lambed this morning. Another black lamb, also cute as a button, but he's clueless and sadly so is his mama. We won't be breeding her again, as she completely left him after she had him, and pays absolutely no attention to him at all. We restrained her and got some colustrum in the baby ram, and have them both penned, but I'm not sure. I'm just up hoping to get warm and that some magic will happen while I'm not there.

7. lisarichards

Here's a close up on the little spotted ram lamb:

[​IMG]

His tongue is indeed black, but the white spots are spreading rapidly.

8. mathis

mathis Active Member

The lambs are adorable! I can't wait until we have some!