More Medical Stuff, It's Getting Tiresome

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by ThreeJane, Dec 17, 2006.

1. ThreeJane

ThreeJane Me Love Your Face

I know this is kind of boring but I'm getting steadily more depressed about it so by typing it out, it gives me an outlet.

At this point, docs are more or less baffled as to why I'm still losing weight and still having trouble eating. Ive had two barium swallows, a manometry, a chest X-ray, an endoscopy, and two rounds of medication (Regland and Procardia, neither of which worked).

I have a CT scan tomorrow to rule out weird lung cancers (Pancoast's tumors), and then sometime this week or after Christmas, they want to do a dilation to see if they can weaken the muscles in my upper esophagus enough for me to eat without trouble.

I'm still losing weight. My size 12s are getting loose on me now.

If THAT doesn't work, they want me to see a bigga-bigga doctor at Virginia Mason in Seattle. How I'll manage that with three kids, I have no idea. I just want them to figure it out and fix the problem so I can move on with my life and find something ELSE to complain about.

It's wearing out the hubby too, although he's been fairly stalwart throughout the whole thing. When I told him about the cancer they want to rule out, he finally cracked. He ended up leaving work early and has been relatively stressed ever since. I think secretly he's afraid I"m going to die on him and leave him all alone with three little children to raise.

On an up note, the Christmas party pics are up on my website so you can see the party dress: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/threejane The dress is too big, which is why the sides are so low. In the 3 weeks between receiving the dress and wearing it, I lost another 8 pounds or so.

Thanks for listening to me whine.

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm so sorry you are going thru all this...I hope the docs figure it out soon....if you can drink then pack your calories in that way....yogurt smoothies and instant breakfast :shrug:

Hang in there!

3. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

Praying for you that it's nothing bad and that they can diagnose what's going on.

Kat

4. grannygardner

grannygardner Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about the medical problems. Boost is a great supplement to help you maintain some of your weight. I'll be saying prayers for you and the family. When a parent is ill it's hard on everyone.

5. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

This is probably a stupid question, but has anybody ruled out a sugar problem? Sudden and unexplained weight loss is one of the signs of diabetes. People want to think of diabetes as a disease for people who are over-weight, but there is more than one kind, and more than one cause. Just wondering. I am sure they have... surely they would before they put you through all of that other stuff! Mom was type I that wasn't properly diagnosed until adulthood. She has trouble eating, too. She was always choking on her food. Something about the disease unchecked constricts the esophogus. It would make you feel tired and disoriented a lot, too if your sugars were off. But it is a simple blood test to diagnose it, so I am sure they must have checked.

Anyway, I do hope you find answers. :)
    Cindyc.

6. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I once had a boyfriend who had a congenital defect that did not seem to bother him until he was about 21 years old. His esophogus was just a very small diameter and eventually it made it difficult for him to eat. He felt like he was choking when he would eat. He went to a doctor who dialated it and he didn't have any more problems. The doctor said he might have to have it done from time to time but he hasn't needed it again since then. (He's in his 30s now).

I don't know that I would mind losing a lot of weight as long as you are getting your nutrients.

donsgal

7. ThreeJane

I had a full physical with blood tests a few months ago, didn't show anything other than slightly elevated cholesterol. At least the GP was smart enough to refer me to gastroenterologist. The ENT I saw when all this started gave me meds that didn't work and then I think he panicked, just said "get a physical" and I haven't heard from him since.

As far as tests or congenital defects, everything looks fine but only one thing stands out. During the manometry, they run a tube with pressure sensors down your throat and have you sip water. I was in a lot of pain from that, which stood out, as it's normally not painful.

When the doc showed me my numbers, he was flipped out. Normally, the upper esophagus registers pressure of 45mm-120mm/hg per swallow.

Mine averaged 264.5 per swallow, which means the upper part of my throat is "hanging on" to food. This was worrisome to the doc because it's above your larynx and since this problem is getting progressively worse, I could choke on food.

Since I wasn't choking previously, I blew it off as no big deal.

Of course, last week, I choked on a burrito I was eating at home and at hubby's Christmas dinner, I had to swallow about half a glass of soda to get down a piece of roll. (Note to self: hard bread products are no longer viable)

So anyway, that's what they're working on so far. I'm just getting bummed about it because no one knows what's wrong. For a while there, until the manometry test, I was starting to get that "people think I'm a hypochondriac" feeling from medical professionals. I was at least glad that the test proved that SOMETHING was wrong.

donsgal: I didn't mind losing the weight when I was 215 on my scale. Now that I'm 145 on my scale, it's a bit more worrisome. It's too darn cold up here to be skinny! That, and I am a for-real large-framed woman (my hands are the size of most men's in finger length and palm width) and anything below 125 on my scale looks like I'm dying of anorexia.

8. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Well, rather than getting too thin, I think I would invest in a good quality blender and do the "baby food" thing for myself to ensure I was getting sufficient calories/nutrients. After all, how bad could a couple of milk shakes a day be?

There are lots of good recipes online for baby food as well as blender meals that will at least help you maintain your weight and health while all this is getting figured out.

I sure wish you the best. The not knowing can be so difficult to deal with.

donsgal

9. Country Doc

Country Doc Well-Known Member

I look at weight loss as cancer till proven otherwise. So after physical and bloodwork I get EGD,Colonoscopy, CT abdomen, Chest xray, mammography. Other stuff based on risk factors. If smoker, CT chest. Consider oncologist referral for bone marrow. The obvious thing is to rule out depression since it is a common cause of weight loss. Good luck and do what the doctors are telling you. Diabetes would be diagnosed easily at initial bloodwork .

10. Wildwood Flower

Wildwood Flower Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK

I live in Oregon part time, and Oklahoma part time
    ThreeJane,

I'm so sorry to hear of your medical problems, and especially that no reason for it has been found yet. It sounds like you are getting closer with the swollowing thing.

This has got to be really hard and I know your hubby is really worried about it all. May you find some answers in the next few days. I'll be keeping you in my prayers for a good outcome.

Your attitude is great, by the way.

Sandy

11. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I also have a dear friend with esophageal spasms, much like what yours is doing. He has to go in and have it stretched every couple of years.

Meats and breads are the worst for getting stuck.

Hoping that is all it is.

Huggs,
    Rose

12. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm sorry you are going through this, but I'm glad you are being taken seriously. I'll pray specificly for your throat and see if that helps.

13. ThreeJane

Thank you all for your replies. I figured I'd take it to the internet because hubby has been really great but I don't want to stress him out any more. However, I'm female, which means I GOTTA vent, as we all know. :baby04:

He's also been fantastic about taking time off work and hanging with the kids, which is a big deal since he's not used to be around them *that much* and the baby takes a lot of time and attention.

Not once has he complained or made me feel bad that he's been home while I've been out wazooing with medical stuff. (I know that sounds stupid but I have had friends whose husbands get very cranky if their wife is unable to perform, like, say laid up with a C-section! :nono: )

Rose: when your friend had his throat stretched (that comes next, probably this week), did he have any ill effects? I do know they will give me more dope than usual, which will be interesting.

When I had my endoscopy, most of my memory for that day was gone, so I kept asking hubby the same questions about what the doctor said. And for a few days, I'd have to ask my friends and family, "Did I tell you this already?" :rolleyes:

14. Country Doc

Country Doc Well-Known Member

Also look up scleroderma .

15. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Yeah, shoot. Give them enough tests and they are BOUND to find something wrong. At least something they can write a prescription for! Gotta make those condo payments.

donsgal

16. ThreeJane

country doc: initially the weight loss was deliberate, but concomitant with the swallowing difficulty it became effortless. It's gotten steadily worse, which in all my internet research (Medline is NOT your friend) indicates some sort of neurological problem

Ah well. At some point they'll figure it out, it's just the waiting (and the tests) that's making me crazy. Thank god for hubby.

17. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Donsgal, I don't think that was called for. CDoc gave her an honest answer and a responsible one. Obviously, there IS something wrong....these are the standard tests that will be done by most internists to rule out or verify what the problem is. Medicine is as much an art as a science, and there is a lot unknown, that can only be known by test and by trial. If ya can't say something nice....

Okay, shutting up now.

3Jane, my thoughts are with you and I hope they find out what is wrong soon. May it be something simply dealt with. Hang in there, sweetie!

18. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Sorry if you don't like my opinion. I believe that nobody is 100 percent healthy all the time but that your body naturally takes care of problems, cancer included. I don't care much for the American Medical standard because I actually think that, with a few exceptions such as bleeding to death or repairing broken bones, they do lots more harm than they do good. the statistics that over 100,000 people die every year not from disease, but from medical treatment, would tend to support my opinion.

Personally, in all my 51 years I have never met a doctor who did not get into the medical profession because of money and was not out to get rich. Maybe I have had bad luck, I don't know. Maybe CDoc is different.

Anyway, getting a lot of tests done is just asking for trouble in my opinion. Chances are they will find lots of goodies to prescribe for that have nothing to do with the OP's problem. High blood pressure? high cholesteral? When was your last mammogram? I've heard it all.

donsgal

19. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

ThreeJane,

I feel your pain, honestly! And I want to say, Boost is not bad, especially served on ice. Expensive though.

I've been on a liquid/soft diet for three weeks, lost about 20 pounds. CT scan found a 13 x 16cm mass in lower abdomen (that's about 5 1/2 by 6 1/2 inches). Dr also found anemia and an infection SOMEWHERE in my abdomen. Colonoscopy came out fine. Radiologist said it looked like a uterine fibroid. General surgeon said yes, he thought it was a uterine fibroid and I needed to go to an OB-Gyn...tried to make an appointment and have one...20 Feb, 2007, soonest they can get me in.

I'd be REALLY happy with the fibroid diagnosis EXCEPT that my uterus prolapsed and was removed 36 years ago, and I also have a history of cancer, 24 years ago.

So, I have difficulty drinking a full glass of water at one time, and I can eat VERY little. Got a little wild today and had one scrambled egg and 1/4 of a burger patty...and that's all I've been able to eat today. Yesterday I had 1/3 cup of applesauce and a slice of cheese. If I eat/drink too much I'll throw it up and be in MAJOR abdominal pain for a day or two. I think what's happening is that the growth is pressing on my insides and organs causing them to not function correctly, hence the problem with eating/drinking.

Makes you just wanna throw something, doesn't it?

Mon

20. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

When my friend has had his esophagus stretched, his throat is sore for a couple of days. The dopiness is probably just your personal reaction to the anesthetic. He gets silly and flirts with the nurses.

My friend does have scleroderma, and swallowing issues is a common symptom.