More mastitis questions

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caprice Acres, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Well I have finnally gotten around to compiling a list to order from Jeffers. I have more pennicillin, probios, the CMT test kit, and Gallimycin dry cow (a product similar to ToMorrow) But I am kind of considering not ordering the gallimycin. This is because there is very little liquid in her udder, hardly a few drops, and the lump in there is getting smaller daily. I think it was inflamed, not from the infection maybe? there is no chunks really, hardly anything in there. Also, the liquid is still an orange color but definetely more faint and clearer. If I took her off the antibiotics, would the mastitis come back full swing? If I got the gallimycin and took her off the antibiotics, would this be ok? Do I milk her out after a certain amount of time to get the meds out? it said not to eat the calf of the treated cow for I think 10 days after birth, so is it ok for them to nurse? it is ok to use in goats, right? Also, her kids from this last august have been separated for a long time, longer than I expected because of the mastitis. I am almost totally sure that they will still try to comfort suck, and I don't want them getting sick. the doe no longer recognizes them as her offspring though, and fends them off. When can I put them back in, no worries?

2. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

I am not sure what gallimycin is...I would use a product with "Ceph" in the name. The mastitis was probably caused by staph. How many days has she been on the antibiotics? I would sure leave her on for about 4 days. The gallimycin sounds like an antibiotic. I would continue injectable antibiotics like penicillin and nuflor. If she will let them nurse, go ahead and let the kids in. I never took my kids away from the doe unless to treat her. How old are the kids? Are they eating grain/pellets/hay? If they are eating, then you can wean them. I have weaned from milk as early as 7 weeks and done okay. Not optimal, but okay. But that was meat kids and they had creep from day one.

3. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

Hi...I have a rather unorthodox treatment for my old girl. She is Saanen and is a HUGE milker, as was her momma, etc. Her mom died with mastitis. Weezie got it the first year..and every year since. They both had a mass of something in one side...eventually they would break with mastitis.

After four years of having Weezie treated..I started out different. When she went up on the stand...and I got done milking her...I put The Master's Miracle...neutralizer on her entire bag..just took a second to massage it. Hello...not only did she NOT break with her usual mastitis..that "whatever mass" in her right side just went away. I am curious this year if it will return...I will follow the same protocol as I did last year .. whether it comes back or not.

The stuff doesn't cost that much..comes in a gel or just water consistance...I prefer the gel for this. Doesn't sting her, doesn't affect the kids sucking and is all natural.

This is what I recommend...but probably no one else has ever done it!

Good luck!

4. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

On the Tomorrow (Gallimycin), it's what you use when you're drying off a doe, so no, you wouldn't milk her out again. The whole idea is to leave the meds in there for the whole dry period to completely get rid of the mastitis. I would not let kids nurse on her after giving her the Tomorrow. A) It can't be good for them to ingest that stuff, and B) it defeats the purpose of the meds, since you're supposed to leave them in there. I guess you could tape that teat, if you think the babies will nurse again.

On the antibiotics, I would definitely give her the full course. Don't stop early. That's how you end up with an antibiotic-resistant strain the next time around.

5. Caprice Acres

She's been on the pennicillin for almost two weeks now, and it has been going away, or at least the lump has been going away. The pennicillin is IM only. I give it in the back legs, and I am running out of places to give it! I ended up getting the ToMorrow, the gallimycin was on indefinate backorder. The kids are 16 weeks old... They were separated at 12 weeks. They were origionally going back in with thier mother on the 14th, but I found the mastitis on the 10th, and I was afraid that they would still try to suck, even a little bit. I think that they may still do this, even if it is just for comfort. I was wondering if they would get sick from getting a mouthful of the ToMorrow. Is ToMorrow a type of antibiotic? Also, can I stop the shots once I start the ToMorrow treatment? Her back legs are sore and it is hard to find a new site. :(

6. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

I WOULD NOT USE THIS ON ANY DOE.I ruined a does udder using this product she was alergic to it.There is a warning on Sanendoah .com.
    Please do a search on this forum under (Gallimycin Drycow Help) Vicki helped me out with this one.

7. homebirtha

That's not the same thing as Tomorrow, correct? Tomorrow is cephapirin something... The other one I've seen recommended is Pirsue, but that's hard to find around here. We are thinking of trying this on a lopsided doe we have, so I'm curious about the bad reaction issue.

8. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

Please please never give shots in the rear!!! Even if you don't plan on eating her, she may get sold for slaughter some day. There are no gaurentee's in life. You can give sub q shots in the area on the chest between the front legs. You can give IM shots in the neck. Shots destroy huge portions of meat. They hae to be wasted and cut. We just make it a habit to NEVER NEVER give shots anywhere besides the neck no matter what we are doctoring. If she has been on the pen that long, it is long enough. The kids are old enough for sure to wean. We wean at 12 weeks old.
    Yes tomorrow is an antibiotic.

9. Caprice Acres

well just to let you know she will NEVER EVER be sold for meat, she will stay here her whole life. Thats what I do when I get animals. She is a pet and will always be a pet. The rear legs are the only place I know how to give an IM shot, so its gonna have to stay that way. The Pennicillin also says IM only. I tried a subq shot once, and I think i messed it up. I gave it over the shoulder blades, because the only other animal I had given a subq shot to was a cat, and that is how they are given thier shots. I gave it to my then 4 week old kids you can still fell a lump at the sites, they are 16 weeks. The lumps didn't get smaller noticeably for a month and one lost her hair over the lump, which thankfully grew back. 'cource when I posted here about the hair loss at the time, every one said I screwed it up :) now someone came along and said that it was normal for a cd/t shot for this to happen? o and thier hide is so hard to peirce! at least compared to cats & dogs....
    anywho, I didn't get the gallimycin, got ToMorrow. How much should i put in there? Certainly not a whole syringe? Treat both sides? And the babies have been weaned for a long time now, but I know when they are put back in the main pasture with their mom they will try to suck.

10. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

I went to the feed store this is what the man there gave me because they were out of Today.I came home and did my thing and injected the Gallimycin in to the udder and you would have thought I set her On fire.It was tormenting to watch but I thought it was gonna help.I went on the board that night I thought I was gonna lose her.Today is for when they are in milk.Tomorrow is when they are dry.Pirsur is perscription Only.NEVER use Erythromycin which is in the Gallimycin Dry Cow. Penicillin is only given 5 days.2 weeks is too long.If this is Staff mastitis you do not want the kids to nurse thier mother because she passes the staff to them it stays in thier body untill they freshen and then you start all over again.Ive been there.

11. Caprice Acres

ok I ordered the tomorrow and I know that the kids arent supposed to nurse. they are in a separate pen and have been for a month and a half now, before the mastitis showed up (hopefully, it didn't seem odd when they were still nursing) . When after I put the tomorrow in can I put them back in the main pen? It is hard lugging an extra water bucket around, and I would like them all in the same pen to make it easier. And do I just stop giving pennicillin? Wouldn't it come back? It seems like I should stop the day I give to tomorrow so it doesn't have time to take hold again. The tomorrow should be here either saturday or next monday, i think. Till then......

12. homebirtha

We used a whole syringe of Today on our lamanchas, but I'm not sure on a smaller goat. One really important thing, don't use the same syringe on both udders. Use only a fresh syringe each time, and clean really well beforehand. (You probably knew that, but thought i'd mention it, just in case.)

13. Caprice Acres

Yeah her udder is teeny tiny. but I do treat both sides? I think I should, just in case, and I think maybe a half a syringe per side? I don't think it can hurt any..... I hope she gets milk in that half next year, otherwise I'll be bottle feeding :)

14. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

According to what I have read, the dose in both Today and Tomorrow is for a cow and that one tube is enough for both sides in a goat. I always treat the unaffected side first so as not to spread any infection to the healthy side. I have had a baby who sucked on his mom when she was treated with Today, with no ill affects, but generally remove kids when treating does. I especially would not want kids sucking a doe I was dry treating because that defeats the purpose. I don't think I would want a doe on antibiotics longer than 14 days because they upset the good bacteria in the rumen. I also suggest you give probios to your doe if you have not done so already.