More lump questions

Discussion in 'Goats' started by topside1, Apr 22, 2006.

1. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Hi all, a little background first. Just shifted from raising bottle calves for profit to Boer Goats for a change of pace. My first 100% Boer buck was purchased at weaning age (90 days) about three weeks ago. My question and concern is that a small mass/lump (golf ball size) was found by me at the time of purchase in the location where his breast plate meets his neck. I inquired about this knot to the owner several times and the owner/breeder said it's common trait with Boer bucks, it's cartilage and he will eventually grow into it. With limited knowledge I had to believe the breeder, and with animals being sold on his farm in the $200-$1,500 range who wouldn’t? I also factored in his young age and couldn’t believe that this was CL. I am learning fast however I need you Boer experts on this one. Just looking for absolute facts not opinions, meaning have any Boer buck owners felt the small mass in the location that I have described? Forgot to mention I also have Nubians and my herd buck does not have this knot on his chest. Thanks in advance as always....Tennessee John

2. stacygoats

stacygoats Well-Known Member

I've had young boers (bucks and does) with a lump on their throat, but I think it's called a milk goiter. Have not noticed if they are "hard" like cartilage though, but I'll check when I go out tomorrow morning (got a 10 wk buck out there right now with this bulge on his neck, kind of like a oversized adams apple, not down by his chest.)

3. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Why not just get them tested? That way you know the answer for sure, and wether or not you should worry about it. :)

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I guess I am having trouble visualizing what you are describing....don't suppose you have a digital camera and could snap a picture of his chest? But I will say that the only lump that I see on any of my Boer bucklings is a milk goiter which is where the neck meets the jaw and that is fine. Any other lump I would check out as being odd. But he does sound way to young for it to be CL. Did you look over the herd he came from?? Were there any lumps visible on them?? CL does like the chest area. :shrug: Another possibility is that many folks I have taked to give shots in the chest area....??

5. topside1

First time posting photos, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I appreciate the feedback from you all. I do have a Vet coming out on Tuesday for another reason and while she is here I will have her examine the lump on my buck's chest. Hope the picture's are clear enough to ID his problem. Also his may become valuable to other goat owners in the future. Can't wait till Tuesday...Tennessee John

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ozark_jewels

Ok...(great pics by the way, I can see it fairly well), it looks like his brisket is slightly pointy. If that is it, then yes, he will grow into it. A pointy-type brisket is not really desirable in a breeding buck, but it may not be as pointy as it looks in the photo. But again, since I can't see it really well and can't get a "hands-on" look, I may be totally wrong in my diagnosis. I hope you'll let us know your vets opinion. It does not look at all like CL to me. :)

7. stacygoats

stacygoats Well-Known Member

I have not seen a boer with this condition before and I've looked at alot. I thought for sure it was going to be a milk goiter higher up on the neck, but the pictures ruled that out. I don't think it's a CL abcess though.
    Please let us know what the vet says.

Good luck.

8. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

I have an 88% boer doe with a protruding brisket but it doesn't look lumpy like that, it almost looks as if the bottom of her brisket juts out a little bit. I don't know if she got it as a baby by pressing hard on the panels when she stuck her head through to get to her grain bucket but it has NOT gone away and she got marked down on it at last year's county fair and sanctioned boer goat show. You might write up an agreement with the breeder that you can do a "trade-in" if it does not go away. In the meantime, contact your breed registry USBGA/ABGA etc. and ask them for advice as well.

9. topside1

Thanks for all your advice and observations. Just a quick reminder now that you have seen the photos, the object you have seen is a tad smaller than a ping pong ball, it's moveable within reason, not attached firmly to the brisket and is slightly off to the right side of his chest. If any other thoughts come to mind please write....Tennessee John.

P.S. will advise as to the outcome of the Vet's visit Tuesday.

10. ozark_jewels

Ok, probably not a pointy brisket...... :shrug: And I'd say not "normal", as I have never seen something like you describe on any Boer kids.....I'll be looking forward to hearing what your vet says.

11. topside1

Morning all, for those of you who found this thread interesting here is the update on my soon to be herd buck. The lump you see in the photos has disappeared and seems to have become part of the breast plate just how the breeder predicted, great new huh....I'm happy, and now back to my work list.
    Tennessee John

12. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a picture of a milk goiter that they could post? My almost-two-month-old 3/4 Oberhasli doe kid (1/4 Boer) has swelling on her throat where it meets the jaw. I'm sure it's not CL, as it's soft, more edema-like. They've been wormed -- and we don't have severe worm problems here anyway. She's the only one who has it. I don't remember hearing of milk goiter before, but had been wondering if it was goiter. They do have goat mineral, but I don't know how much the young kids eat. (I do see them eating it sometimes, though.)

Kathleen

13. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I am still very curious as to what that was, never seen anything like it.