Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The entire I.T. Department just got laid off. 34 people. Oh, I guess I should say that this was from dh's old job back in TN. I guess if we needed confirmation that we did the right thing moving, we now have come concrete proof. In an odd twist of fate, dh still works for that company part time in the evenings. There just isn't enough work for a full time person. So from here, he has his day job, and a part time evening job. But in TN, he would be unemployed even though he is working for the same company? Strange but true.

My first reaction was, "Whew! Dodged that bullet!"...
My second reaction was "Oh those poor people." Not a good time to be looking for work, and not a good place to be looking for work in that market sector. I hope they all find something soon.

Cindyc.

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
Cindy;
Glad your family dodged that one. My son's company had a layoff last week, they came in on Monday and gave the people a few hours to get out, but no one in his area got laid off, however he said he is going to be putting out his resume just in case. No prior notice of layoff - I'm afraid it's going to get worse.

My brothers company went through a round of layoffs in November, and were told it would be a year before another one, but he was just told that they are going through another round in February

Interesting thing is that our neighbor (I was his boss a long time ago) has said that they are trying to get people with certain engineering experience and can't find anyone.

Dawn

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Yeah, layoffs are happening a lot around here. :(

My next door neighbor was laid off (the I.T. field) and just started a new job... but he drives over an hour each way now. The local news said lastnight that the Stratos boat company in Murfreesboro has just laid off 100+ workers and will be laying off more soon. Those workers know it's only a matter of time before they're gone too. It stinks!

~Ashley

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, layoffs are happening a lot around here. :(

My next door neighbor was laid off (the I.T. field) and just started a new job... but he drives over an hour each way now. The local news said lastnight that the Stratos boat company in Murfreesboro has just laid off 100+ workers and will be laying off more soon. Those workers know it's only a matter of time before they're gone too. It stinks!

~Ashley
Yea, the I.T. Sector in Nashville got hit hard a few years ago, and never really recovered. There are currently more workers than Jobs in I.T. in middle TN. That is one of the reasons we left. I.T. doesn't have to be centralized in a building anymore, because of remote access. On the one hand that is a big perk, you can work from anywhere. On the other hand, they can give your job in Nashville to some guy in some other state, or in India. They don't even *have* to fill what positions there are in nashville I.T. with local workers to get the job done. It makes things way more competitive, and you have to be seriously on top of your game. Some of the people who got laid off had been working for that company for 20 years. They never thought they would ever be looking for a job again. I hope they kept their skills marketable in spite of that. They are good people.

Cindyc.

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
They are closing down an entire manufacturing plant here (800 people I think) in the next few months. At my step-dad's work (they sell steel) they shut down the entire night crew and have started laying off people in the office even. My step-dad is the IT guy there and really really worried about his job, even though he's been there over 25 years. He's been trying to build up a second job doing freelance IT work.

Glad your DH has both his day job and his part time night job! I would be very very thankful.

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad your DH has both his day job and his part time night job! I would be very very thankful.
I absoluely am! Seems kind of surreal actually.

We had our experience with layoffs several years ago. I won't go into the gory details, but it is what made us want to learn about self-sufficientcy. It is why we found this board.

Cindyc.

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
If everyone was just a little bit self sufficient, think how well the world would work! Something in your hubby's sub conscious must have seen "the writing on the wall", as it were. Listening to that little voice is often SO hard, but it's rarely wrong.

Keep up your search for the self sufficiency. Or at least, the "I can do this myself instead of spending 1/2 a paycheck for it!" lifestyle :) The rewards are more than monetary...it's freedom!

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If everyone was just a little bit self sufficient, think how well the world would work! Something in your hubby's sub conscious must have seen "the writing on the wall", as it were. Listening to that little voice is often SO hard, but it's rarely wrong.

Keep up your search for the self sufficiency. Or at least, the "I can do this myself instead of spending 1/2 a paycheck for it!" lifestyle :) The rewards are more than monetary...it's freedom!
Well, one thing is for sure. We will be in a much better situation if it ever happens again, just becuase we can do something for ourselves besides hope for another job. In the last few years we have learned to garden, to raise and process chickens, to raise rabbits (though we didn't process or eat them- but we could if we needed to, I guess), to can and freeze our own food, and even just to have food on hand for an emergency- staples that you can't grow- like salt, or large bags of beans and rice. We have learned to rotate them through so that we don't waste them. We have learned a *ton* of stuff that we could do to help ourselves if we needed to do that. I sure will feel better when we are out on our own "paid for" land though. Have to keep moving in that direction.

Cindyc.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My husband is retired, so unaffected, but he just found out that the newspaper he worked for will either be sold or closed at the end of March. The internet has had a HUGE effect on newspapers across the country, and this economy has hammered the nails into the coffins of many.

Best wishes to all who are caught in the downward spiral. Homesteading skills are great to have now, aren't they?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Which is why I'm "trying" to start my own cleaning business after losing my job of 11 years.

I hope everyone who is laid off finds work soon.

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Which is why I'm "trying" to start my own cleaning business after losing my job of 11 years.

I hope everyone who is laid off finds work soon.
Good luck with that. Crazy out there isn't it? I understand you wanting to do something that isn't dependant on 'a boss' though. We toyed with that idea at one time too. May go back to it at some point.

Cindyc.

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My husband is retired, so unaffected, but he just found out that the newspaper he worked for will either be sold or closed at the end of March. The internet has had a HUGE effect on newspapers across the country, and this economy has hammered the nails into the coffins of many.

Best wishes to all who are caught in the downward spiral. Homesteading skills are great to have now, aren't they?
Sad watching work friends lose jobs isn't it? Hope everybody is able to get something new. And yes, now is a good time for homesteading skills.

Cindyc.

·
nosey, but disinterested
3,220 Posts
All the homesteading skills in the world won't help those that are city dwellers or living in residential areas that do not allow self sufficiency. Seems I remember reading, I think on this board, that one of our members was given a hard time over growing their own vegetables. God's ultimate plan for his people to be self sufficient and have a cow and chickens is not allowed in many areas. I was made to get rid of all my chickens. That was one of my saddest days. Although I can have two pigs. Doesn't make any sense at all.

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
What kind of engineering experience?
Due to the costs of energy and to become more independent from oil, our power company is planning to build some more nuclear plants, so they are looking for people with nuclear power plant design and/or construction experience. Right now the jobs are in B'ham, but some may have to move to Augusta, GA when the additional reactors are built.

Dawn

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All the homesteading skills in the world won't help those that are city dwellers or living in residential areas that do not allow self sufficiency. Seems I remember reading, I think on this board, that one of our members was given a hard time over growing their own vegetables. God's ultimate plan for his people to be self sufficient and have a cow and chickens is not allowed in many areas. I was made to get rid of all my chickens. That was one of my saddest days. Although I can have two pigs. Doesn't make any sense at all.
???? You are right. That doesn't make any sense at all! I'm sorry. I am with you. I am in a rental, so there is only so much I can do. But we are taking our steps to land of our own, and what I *can* do, I will do. Like, not being able to garden last year did not stop me from canning. I bought from farmers when things were cheap. You just have to not give up.

Cindyc.

·
Zone 7B
2,481 Posts
???? You are right. That doesn't make any sense at all! I'm sorry. I am with you. I am in a rental, so there is only so much I can do. But we are taking our steps to land of our own, and what I *can* do, I will do. Like, not being able to garden last year did not stop me from canning. I bought from farmers when things were cheap. You just have to not give up.

Cindyc.
That is so true Cindy! We had a patio garden for table items but I managed to find a "tomato" lady, and "apple" lady and a "corn" guy..... along with free squash and zuchinni and ultra cheap green peppers, we did VERY well.... We put up a great amount of canned stuff and froze as much as possible!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm glad you still have a job Cindy. Things are getting bad all over. There are not enough jobs for all the people out of work. My son lost his job and there is nothing.
He has children to support and we are all worried sick.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts