More junk food gifts from relatives....

Discussion in 'Weight Loss Forum' started by Anita in NC, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Anita in NC

Anita in NC Well-Known Member

DH is diabetic, I'm on Weight Watchers and all the kids are following a healthy eating plan.

SIL sent boxes of movie theater sized boxes of candy.

Other SIL sent a Swiss Colony box containing that horrible fake cheese spread stuff and fat loaded crackers.

I told DH to take them all to work when he goes back and put them out in the break room.

2. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

What were these people thinking? even if they don't know you're doing WW, surely they must know that DH is a diabetic and can't eat that stuff? :eek:

Getting this stuff out of the house is a good thing. No temptation to eat the bad stuff that way. I need to do a bunch of that myself...only I bought it myself in a weak moment(s). :eek:

3. Anita in NC

Anita in NC Well-Known Member

They ALL know that I am on Weight Watchers as I have written about it in my weekly emails to all the family members (I have been at WW for 4 months now). Also it was within the last couple of weeks that I reminded them all that even the kids are eating healthy - no junk food.

Obviously they know DH is diabetic as he's their brother and had diabetes since he was a child.

The kids and I do eat chocolate occasionally but we're chocolate snobs and we only eat one piece of dark chocolate per day. But as far as DH family know we don't eat junk food - not that I consider high quality dark chocolate junk food.

4. COSunflower

COSunflower Country Girl Supporter

My mom sent a big box of goodies too and when I had my son's birthday party last night, I sent it all home with the guests :) Now I just have an empty box and no temptions :)

5. Speciallady

Speciallady Well-Known Member

Wasn't very practical of them. Maybe they think it is Christmas and maybe time for a little treat. :shrug: If you don't want it at home, pass it on to the neighbors or someone. My dh loves sweets, it is so hard to fight the temptation. Hang in there. :)

6. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Some psycologist/economist did a study and it turns out that people buy gifts poorly. In other words, fully 20% of the gift giving dollar is spent badly.. on things other people don't want, and is therefore wasted. Another study showed that the better someone knows someone else the more likely they were to choose something the other person didn't want or didn't like!

Most of the poor giving is people buying things they themselves wouldn't mind receiving, forgettting, in the frenzy of the thing, that the recipient might not feel the same way.

In other words... don't take it personally, they're only human.

That said, I've become a master of the re-gift myself. In a good year I can get a gift in and out the door in the same year with no storage involved. There are some people who think this is a Bad Thing. I look upon it as getting the gift where it was meant to go if only everyone were as wise about these things as I am... ;-)

I also, by the way, make sure that anything I'm unsure about... you know, those "obligatory client gifts" or the little "housewarming thanks for the party gifts" are wrapped in clear celophane with fancy bows. A gift that just begs to be re-gifted if I haven't nailed it correctly. I've got one gift like that that I think has changed hands 4 times now and has become a bit of a local joke.

Doesn't hurt my feelings in the slightest. All part of the holiday fun.