more jersey bloodlines

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by vaponydoc, Mar 3, 2005.

1. vaponydoc

vaponydoc Well-Known Member

Hi -- I know there are several of you out there with a wealth of knowledge on jersey bloodlines. I want to ask for some advice!

I have a jersey heifer we are getting ready to breed. Her pedigree is unknown -- she came from a cull cow from a very nice dairy in our area. I recently contacted the dairy to see if they had any advice on picking a sire that would not be an unintentional inbreeding situation and the gentleman there recommended the following options from Select Sires -- Mecca, Maximus, or a young Lemvig-line bull -- as good outcrosses. Anyone have any input on these sires? I am also looking into getting sorted semen which may limit my choices alot -- I understand Select Sires is introducing semen sorted for sex-selection for a few bulls now.

Thanks!

2. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

The formentioned bulls are all consider outcrossses to the majority of the US jersey population, they all have a common link of havingg Fyn Haug in their pedigrees. He is a renown bull from Denmark with high test and health traits. You would probably be safe to breed her to any bull, no three eyed babies with six legs! Some of our best cattle are results of half sibling matings. Udders can be questionable on the Mecca and Maximus daughters but shouldn't be a problem in a non commercial sitution. I do not know much about the sex semen other than it is expensive and less fertile. Good luck

3. Reformed_Farmer

Reformed_Farmer Member

I would suggest a little different route. Good conformation is the key to long lived cows. My choise would be Rapid Bay Just Wait. We have some real nice calves and one realy good 2 year old that just freshened. I am real exited about this bull. He is a "Whistler" son out Duncan Belle's "Juno" daughter. These girls are built! Real strong front ended cattle with nice udders. The breed needs strength, and this bull has it. He fixes the "chicken chested" problem we see so often in the modern index cow.

Scott

4. vaponydoc

vaponydoc Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback!

5. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Not going to comment on the genetics side of things, here is a couple pictures out of select sires book, basically tells ya some info on the animal, etc. What you want to improve, etc. Just noticed, both mecca and maximus are on the same page.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this helps, pardon the image size but there ya go.

6. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

Just Wait makes awesome acreage cows. They give up to a gallon a day, stay fat and breed on the first go around. But dang do they suck for us, for commercial purpose.

7. Suzanne

Suzanne Well-Known Member