More info on "Hogzilla"

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by IMContrary, Mar 22, 2005.

1. IMContrary

IMContrary Well-Known Member

2. Horace Baker

Horace Baker Well-Known Member

I don't get why people are making a big deal about this. It's obvoiusly a domestic pig, possibly an escape. The report that DNA testing showed some wild boar in it isn't so unusual, a lot of people raise European wild boar, and many crosses are done. My old boar I had last year was easily the size of "Hogzilla", and looked just like the boar in the picture.

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I agree that the article is not newsworthy. However, I guess most people have never seen a big hog. Actually the size of this porker would have been commonplace years ago. Lard hogs were allowed to get very large. The hog in the article had access to more feed than a typical "wild" hog. He was too fat not to have that access! In a neighboring state an outfitter puts hog hunts on for a fee. The last person that I know that went on one of these "hunts" killed a 400 lb supposedly wild (Russian) hog. IMO it was not even a feral hog. I saw the pics. There were 23 people on the hunt, each paid $350 and were allowed 2 hogs per day maximum. Over 2 days a total of 12 hogs were killed. Now lets do the math.
    Income...........................................................Hunters fees $8050
    Main Expenses
    Bunkhouse and food for 2 days Est. $75/day/hunter............ $3450
    purchase some hogs to release........................................... $1500
    Total out of pocket expenses.............................................. $4950
    Gross profit for 2 days efforts not including tips................... $3100

Summary...... good return for 2 days efforts! Beats farming

4. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

That photo has gotten around for a while. I had no idea people would think it was a hoax. The photo is real but the hoaxes were the stories about the capture.

5. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

I just got sent a pic last week I think of some pig that was killed in Florida that was 1100 Lbs. The pic says it was killed in Lake County by some guy, don't know if it was recent. The pig is in the bucket of his tractor and they had to rest the bucket on breeze blocks!! It doesn't look like a hoax, but seems bigger than the one in the above pic.

If someone wants me to forward it to them so they can post it here let me know, but I have no idea how to post it here, but i will forward it.

Carol

6. chrisnev

chrisnev Well-Known Member

You can forward it to me and I will try and post it...but I have friends who are newbies to pig farming and I think I can have fun with that picture!!!!he-he-he Thanks Chris Can you email it to
    smidgen@localnet.com Thanks , Chris

7. Carol K

Chris, I sent you a copy of the pic, hope you can post it so others can see.Thanks,

Carol

8. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

In reference to the hogzilla AP pic ... it's VERY obvious, that it was not 12' long as originally claimed ... judging by the man in the pic as a scale. 8' does sound closer. No idea about weight ... 800lbs was probably closer too. It did say it broke the record for tusk length though. Also, although maybe not "technically" feral (I don't know), it was living in the wild which says a lot. It wasn't laying around eating all it wanted from a self feeder with optimum vitamins, meds, minerals and protein levels.

9. Carol K

Mike the pic I sent Chris is different than the one on the other post. It's of a pig that was shot in Florida. But Chris hasn't posted it here yet, well unless it's on the other "hogzilla" thread.

Carol

10. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

Sorry Carol ... I hit the wrong reply button ... it wasn't in reference to your post. I notice now that I quoted you accidently.

11. chrisnev

chrisnev Well-Known Member

Carol..I have tried to post the pic ..but I cant get it eitherr...BUT IS WAS 1100 lbs ....it is huge!!!! I will keep trying..you guys wont believe it..mike I can email it to you if youd like....chris (sorry carol)

12. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy

You guys ever watch the outdoor network? I watched a hog hunt that the boar they shot weighed in at 800lbs, they had to get a tractor to lift it up onto a car trailer so they could haul it out LOL.. It was a big bugger.. So I can believe they would find one at LEAST 800 lbs LOL..

13. Carol K

Hadn't checked this thread in a while so didn't know they hadn't been posted. Just learned how to do it though and they are posted in the new thread "new pics".

Carol